Topic: Making a Murderer

if you have Netflix get this watched.

I guarantee you will make audible 'what the fucks' and 'Whattttt!' and 'Your fucking joking'.

Great TV.

Aim Low and miss...

Re: Making a Murderer

6 episodes in. And yep, there've been plenty of those. On a serious note, whatever you think of what we do in this country, that kind of shit doesn't and can't happen here.
Some of the Judge's rulings have been genuinely unbelievable and contrary to any notion of justice.

Gripping television. Very, very good.

No spoilers please wink

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

After you finish watching, listen to the podcast about the case on , real crime profile. There's about 6 , 1 hour episodes. Slightly different perspective.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Done Series 1. As a lawyer, Brendan Dassey's case concerned me the most of the two. Not suggesting that there weren't serious issues with Avery's but Dassey's was f***ing scandalous irrespective of whether he committed the crime or not.
It's not actually about the result, it's about how you get there. Because of the fallibility of humanity you have to try and get everything right in terms of the process. The system has to constantly strive to get better. Whether he's guilty or not, they didn't get f***ing near in Wisconsin.

Cheers for the heads up on the podcasts, will definitely listen.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

I thought it was a bit contrived myself. The film that is. It was trying to ape the Serial Podcasts about the school kid from Baltimore who is serving time for killing his girlfriend.

Serial seemed objective and didn't lead you down a path so much. I thought this to be too heavily waited towards making you feel like a huge miscarriage of justice had been done. When really I reckon the story is he probably has done some really heinous shit that we don't know about and they wanted to stick this on him. Not right I know but it felt like it was too from the two fuckwitts perspective. May be me getting wrong end of the stick..

That's kind of my point. Whether he's guilty or not justice wasn't served. There's a point where, in what we'd call re-examination but they call re-direct, he asks the investigator about evidence that placed the victim in Avery's trailer. He asks a question he has to know is, firstly, not re-direct, but more importantly deliberately misrepresents the evidence a witness had given. It sounds trivial and in some ways it was but it showed a complete disregard for doing things right.
And then you have the FBI evidence, the fact that they exclude a whole local police force that then end up gathering all the crucial evidence etc.
It was bent, whatever the truth. As a result, it's not just about Avery. It's about the family of he deceased not getting the standards they're entitled to expect.

A US man whose murder conviction was the focus of the popular Netflix series Making A Murderer has been denied a new trial by a Wisconsin judge.
She ruled that Steven Avery had failed "to establish any grounds that would trigger the right to a new trial".
Avery and his nephew Brendan Dassey were convicted of murdering a young woman, Teresa Halbach, in 2005.
But Mr Dassey's conviction was overturned because his confession, made as a 16 year old, was coerced.
Judge Angela Sutkiewicz ruled in the case of Avery on Tuesday that "the defendant has failed to establish any grounds that would trigger the right to a new trial in the interests of justice".
"As such, no further consideration will be given to this issue," she said, pointing out that there was no "reasonable probability that a different result would be reached at a new trial".
Avery's attorney Kathleen Zellner argued that he has been framed in the case and that she will now seek to overturn the judge's order.
Avery and Mr Dassey were each sentenced to life in jail - in separate trials - for killing Ms Halbach, a freelance photographer, whose charred remains were found at Avery's car salvage yard a week after she went there to photograph a minivan for sale in 2005.
Making a Murderer investigated Ms Halbach's death - casting doubt on the legal process used in the investigation and subsequent court cases.