Topic: The EU Hokey Cokey

Is there any chance of an out vote by Scottish Nats  as a way of engineering independence?

A clever move by Boris, it will make him the broad appeal candidate in the next leadership contest, the one they will envisage can get them across the line at the next GE.

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

This is all about a domestic in the Tory/UKIP party
Cameron is risking the future of this country in order to keep his own power base
crass selfishness

ambition beyond ability

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Sterling going down the pan already. Exit is a big big risk.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Smutty Lips wrote:

Is there any chance of an out vote by Scottish Nats  as a way of engineering independence?

A clever move by Boris, it will make him the broad appeal candidate in the next leadership contest, the one they will envisage can get them across the line at the next GE.

Interesting as Nicola Sturgeon was on the telly on Sunday saying that were there to be a No vote then it would almost certainly trigger another independence vote north of the border.  The problem they would have is if that did happen and it had been assisted by tactical voting, how would they convince the EU to let them back in (which they desperately want) given they had just voted to leave.  Would it also make them hypocrites for not wanting be part of one union but wanting another despite voting against it?  How confusing would that message be?

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

In reply to the initial question then in a word, no.

If UK votes "Leave" and Scotland votes "Stay" then there will be very loud calls for a second referendum.  If Scotland was to vote, "Leave", which will absolutely not happen, then there would clearly be no mandate for a second referendum based on the argument that the UK was dragging Scotland out of the EU against the will of the Scottish electorate.  It's also worth noting that Sturgeon will only push for a second referendum if the polls show a very high likelihood of a "Yes" vote.  She's only going to get two bites at that particular cherry.

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

They've taken all our fish!

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Bloody foreigners eating all our fish

Take off hosers ...

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Toronto Ted wrote:

Bloody foreigners eating all our fish

Bloody Canucks inadvertently coining euphemisms for going down for the gravy.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Cuts wrote:

They've taken all our fish!

I bet Baddiel is infratastic about the re hash those racists have produced.  They actually have worse singing voices than him.

Aim Low and miss...

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

danpiesley wrote:

I bet Baddiel is infratastic about the re hash those racists have produced.  They actually have worse singing voices than him.

The royalties it delivers may soften the blow.

A bit off-topic, I recently read an interview with Charlie Higson about his collaboration with Paul Whitehouse and Harry Enfield.

"Paul and I got writing money for the single [Loadsamoney] but Abba took 50pc because we foolishly sampled Money, Money, Money. The record company told us: “Do what you like. Don’t worry, we’ll cover that for you,” but when the lawyers got on to us, they said: “Well, that’s your problem, mate!”

It's surprising out how lucrative one broadcast can be, though it varies according to the station popularity. This is a couple of years old:
http://www.sentricmusic.com/blog/2014/o … royalties/

BBC Radio 1 PRS average payment per minute £14.91 PPL average payment per play £37.76
BBC Radio 2 PRS average payment per minute £21.77 PPL average payment per play £82.07
BBC 6 Music PRS average payment per minute £4.55 PPL average payment per play £8.06
BBC Introducing PRS average payment per minute £0.74 PPL average payment per play £0.93
XFM PRS average payment per minute £0.22 PPL average payment per play £0.92

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Think Cameron is looking at hook up with the Proclaimers for the remain campaign.
Still hasn't decided if it's going be 500 miles ( To Berlin), or Letter to America ( if you vote for Tump, we need Tusk)

ambition beyond ability

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Not Now Cato wrote:

In reply to the initial question then in a word, no.

If UK votes "Leave" and Scotland votes "Stay" then there will be very loud calls for a second referendum.  If Scotland was to vote, "Leave", which will absolutely not happen, then there would clearly be no mandate for a second referendum based on the argument that the UK was dragging Scotland out of the EU against the will of the Scottish electorate.  It's also worth noting that Sturgeon will only push for a second referendum if the polls show a very high likelihood of a "Yes" vote.  She's only going to get two bites at that particular cherry.

Shit's got real.

"To tell you the truth, a lot of the younger lads don't care about the FA Cup, they think it's just something your Grandparents talk about. They'd rather we got knocked out." Trevor Davies - Streatham Rovers Football Club

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Isn't it all a bit pointless as Spain will block any moves for the Scots to join the EU? Or is it move convoluted than that?

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

CBIT wrote:

Isn't it all a bit pointless as Spain will block any moves for the Scots to join the EU? Or is it move convoluted than that?

Yes and yes. I'm sure we'll end up with a shit version of them leaving us. They'll vote for independence, apply to join the EU, get told that it's a 10 year process or something and that they've got to get their finances in order, knowing full well that they'll never be allowed to join because it would lead to Catalonia, the basques & all the other autonomous Spanish states attempting to follow suit.   The rest of Britain will then continue to bail them out financially, whilst they still use the £. We won't enforce the border or right to live/work and we won't demand they pay their slice of the £1.5trn debt. So the end result will be like some mouthy, stroppy, acne ridden teenager living the high life on his mum & dad's credit card, whilst all the while bad mouthing them & complaining how badly he's treated by them. It would also allow that the god forsaken woman to play the world stateswoman role, which appears to be her greatest ambition, whilst the likes of thee & me underwrite it.

"To tell you the truth, a lot of the younger lads don't care about the FA Cup, they think it's just something your Grandparents talk about. They'd rather we got knocked out." Trevor Davies - Streatham Rovers Football Club

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Newsflash.  Single issue politician brings up her single issue again.

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Misura wrote:
CBIT wrote:

Isn't it all a bit pointless as Spain will block any moves for the Scots to join the EU? Or is it move convoluted than that?

Yes and yes. I'm sure we'll end up with a shit version of them leaving us. They'll vote for independence, apply to join the EU, get told that it's a 10 year process or something and that they've got to get their finances in order, knowing full well that they'll never be allowed to join because it would lead to Catalonia, the basques & all the other autonomous Spanish states attempting to follow suit.   The rest of Britain will then continue to bail them out financially, whilst they still use the £. We won't enforce the border or right to live/work and we won't demand they pay their slice of the £1.5trn debt. So the end result will be like some mouthy, stroppy, acne ridden teenager living the high life on his mum & dad's credit card, whilst all the while bad mouthing them & complaining how badly he's treated by them. It would also allow that the god forsaken woman to play the world stateswoman role, which appears to be her greatest ambition, whilst the likes of thee & me underwrite it.

Its them Rangers fans I fear for.

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

They'll call a referendum. And lose. Then people might start to look at their actual performance in government (which ain't up to much).

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

CBIT wrote:

Isn't it all a bit pointless as Spain will block any moves for the Scots to join the EU? Or is it move convoluted than that?


https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/sta … 7515136000

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Travis Bickle wrote:

They'll call a referendum. And lose. Then people might start to look at their actual performance in government (which ain't up to much).

Do you think they would call it if they weren't certain though ? With young Krankie on board it just feels that the sole point will be to call an independence vote everytime Westminster does something that doesn't suit.

It could go on years and when the SNP eventually get voted out is there going to be another referendum to rejoin the Union in the event that they left? Those scores are hellish close to change the political nature of a nation.

Tricky times for the EU when the history of the last 30 years or so indicates a still growing independence movement over many now non existant European nations . Maybe those Russians in the east of Ukraine should apply to join.

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Why all the bitterness at the Scots daring to question what they have in common with a rabidly right wing England? I don't get it.

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Without Brexit there would be no sniff, Brexit is mainly about England (and Wales). And the financial crisis.

Catalunya, Brexit, Trump, migration...it's all just part of the financial crisis.

If the Tories refuse to let them have the referendum though, that could be interesting.

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Smutty Lips wrote:

Why all the bitterness at the Scots daring to question what they have in common with a rabidly right wing England? I don't get it.

I'm not bitter I just think they should have to suffer with the rest of us!

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Misura wrote:
Not Now Cato wrote:

In reply to the initial question then in a word, no.

If UK votes "Leave" and Scotland votes "Stay" then there will be very loud calls for a second referendum.  If Scotland was to vote, "Leave", which will absolutely not happen, then there would clearly be no mandate for a second referendum based on the argument that the UK was dragging Scotland out of the EU against the will of the Scottish electorate.  It's also worth noting that Sturgeon will only push for a second referendum if the polls show a very high likelihood of a "Yes" vote.  She's only going to get two bites at that particular cherry.

Shit's got real.

Hate to say I told you so......

Inevitable given Brexit omnishambles, orchestrated by hard right Tory government with zero mandate north of the border.  Exacerbated by fact that no credible UK opposition is likely to materialise for a generation.  Better Together mob lied over pre referendum vow, refuses to even contemplate a deal which might placate landslide anti-brexit sentiment up here. Game on.

Share

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Smutty Lips wrote:

Why all the bitterness at the Scots daring to question what they have in common with a rabidly right wing England? I don't get it.

Not bitterness on my part, more the fact the SNP aren't running the socialist utopia so many imagine or claim and yet hold themselves out as saviours.
They're not actually up to much when it comes to running anything. They rode on a wave of dissatisfaction with a Parliament in London that didn't speak or act for Scotland. I get that but when you look at them in devolved government and in Westminster I reckon the Scots are poorly served. Interesting that the novelty has already worn off for Mahairi Black. Maybe if she tried meeting a few constituents and answering the odd letter she wouldn't be so bored....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: The EU Hokey Cokey

Misura wrote:
CBIT wrote:

Isn't it all a bit pointless as Spain will block any moves for the Scots to join the EU? Or is it move convoluted than that?

Yes and yes. I'm sure we'll end up with a shit version of them leaving us. They'll vote for independence, apply to join the EU, get told that it's a 10 year process or something and that they've got to get their finances in order, knowing full well that they'll never be allowed to join because it would lead to Catalonia, the basques & all the other autonomous Spanish states attempting to follow suit.   The rest of Britain will then continue to bail them out financially, whilst they still use the £. We won't enforce the border or right to live/work and we won't demand they pay their slice of the £1.5trn debt. So the end result will be like some mouthy, stroppy, acne ridden teenager living the high life on his mum & dad's credit card, whilst all the while bad mouthing them & complaining how badly he's treated by them. It would also allow that the god forsaken woman to play the world stateswoman role, which appears to be her greatest ambition, whilst the likes of thee & me underwrite it.

EU won't last 10 years at this rate and Scotland will never be able to get their finances in order unless oil prices rise significantly from current levels. Basing economic policy on the movement of commodity prices (what choice do they have one asks?) is tricky at best, just ask Venezuela, Brazil, Russia et al.

Last edited by Mitaman (Tue 14 Mar 2017 3:16 am)

'a face like a binmans glove... like a Sea Bream's anus...like a dill pickle in a cobblers handbag'

Share