Topic: The Oscars

Next years, that is.

Look for any old ahite with a black guy in it to win everything.

Re: The Oscars

Di Caprio won Best White Actor.

People are Twats

Oscar gold man.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

And the nominees are ... The Revenant, Mad Max, something about Danish, Spotlight, a spy film... did they only make 8 movies in Hollywood this year. The fact that Sylvester Stallone got nominated for best supporting acting was pretty damning. Race or not the nominations are shite.

I liked the Rihanna panties gag though lol

Take off hosers ...

All this noise about a lack of black nominations but what great role was a black man in?  Will Smith just plays himself no matter what he's in. A boxing movie. Boxing movies are so fucking cliche ridden, even the good ones (Ragging Bull apart)  and what else???? Not a very strong year for cinema anyway. No truly memorable performances. A few good movies but truly memorable?

Isn't what they are saying though Cuts is exactly that - black folk aren't getting any decent roles in Hollywood, therefore no Oscars? But that has to be symptomatic of the crap that is being produced by the film industry at the moment. FFS Mad Max Fury Road - 10 nominations and 6 wins. It is absolute cak. Bunch of mutants drive down a road in a bunch of Dickies' castoffs being shot at by other mutants, get to the end, find there nowt there so drive back again being shot at by mutants again. About four words in the entire film. Great acting? You what? Some picture of a desert? You what?

Its a sad state of affairs when the best screen is small screen, whether HBO or BBC. Even british films are increasingly dull  - either formulaic gangster nonsense (North v South) or unwatchable experimental art house bollocks (Aaaaaaaah!).

There a hundreds, nay thousands of magnificent novels out there begging for screen adaptations but it never happens - just remakes and retreads that are considered 'safe' - Star Wars version 895b anyone? Not for me I'm afraid. They'll shoot themselves in the foot at some point, and I think (hope) it'll be sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Djpekingman (Mon 29 Feb 2016 3:55 pm)

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

I suspect that a lot of the Hollywood money is still under the control of a few ethnically narrow groups.  Where is the black money supporting their own films then?

I recall a couple of years ago some rather average performances by black actors carrying off a few awards and Cuts is right, this year there are no standout performances.  The kid in Creed was mentioned as a potential nominee by some commentator or other but I've seen it and he's OK but not worthy of a full Oscar nomination.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Hollywood is all shit now

People are Twats

That Sidney Poitier is very good though....

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

Our lad, JCIG just goes off and makes his own movies. Will Smith estimated worth $250m, go make a fucking good movie then. Tyler Perry $400m.

Steve McQueen is the highest-paid director in the world, pulling in an astonishing $58 million between January 2015 and January 2016, a nearly $30 million lead over his closest competition.

Spotlight cost $20m. According to Chris Rock Will Smith was paid $20m for Wild Wild West. Keaton, McAdams, Ruffalo, Shreiber, Tuccci and Crudup (spellings) all in Spotlight, again, $20m.

Isn't what they are saying though Cuts is exactly that - black folk aren't getting any decent roles in Hollywood

Would you cast a black actor in Tom Hanks' role in Bridge Of Spies just to keep people happy?

I don't think you can really cry because Straight Outta Compton didn't get nominated can you?

Put your money on the bloke who plays Jessie Owens in the forthcoming film to win if he's good or bad next year.

Last edited by Cuts (Mon 29 Feb 2016 7:21 pm)

Looking forward to see how Don Cheadle makes out in Miles ahead. Miles davis film.

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

Cuts wrote:

Our lad, JCIG just goes off and makes his own movies. Will Smith estimated worth $250m, go make a fucking good movie then. Tyler Perry $400m.

Steve McQueen is the highest-paid director in the world, pulling in an astonishing $58 million between January 2015 and January 2016, a nearly $30 million lead over his closest competition.

Spotlight cost $20m

Isn't what they are saying though Cuts is exactly that - black folk aren't getting any decent roles in Hollywood

Would you cast a black actor in Tom Hanks' role in Bridge Of Spies just to keep people happy?

I don't think you can really cry because Straight Outta Compton didn't get nominated can you?

Put your money on the bloke who plays Jessie Owens in the forthcoming film to win if he's good or bad next year.

Nope, neither do I think Idris Elba will make a good James Bond. But I think he's a good actor. There just aren't good films being made for strong black performances. In fact there are very few good films being made. And for some reason blacks in the artistic area don't seem to be putting their money into making them. As you say Smith and Perry aren't short of a bob or two, and there is and has been some superb black writing out there in the states, also mostly ignored by the art 'establishment'. Its no better in the UK to be fair.

Just dishing out awards based on some quota system is wrong also. It can only devalue what is already a system with zero credibility. I'd go further and say its insulting on all levels.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Cheadle's a great actor. I always look out for his films.

Don't know Elba but come on,James Bond is hardly testing your acting chops, I'm sure he'll be fine.

DJ your last paragraph is spot on.

I truly think Hollywood is just an industry, very little artistic integrity in the main, if a project will make money someone will make it. Only colkour I see in busines is green.

Edited my last post probably just as typou chaps were posting.

Last edited by Cuts (Mon 29 Feb 2016 7:27 pm)

Cuts wrote:

Only colour in business is green.

Close the thread now.

He spent all night staring down at the lights of LS. Wondering if he could ever go home.

Morgan Freeman  , Denzel Washington, Jamie Foxx, Don Cheadle, Sam Jackson, Chiwitel Ejiofor, Idris Elba, Giancarlo Esposito, Djimon Hounsour.   Some great actors (not even mentioning actresses) and most have had some recognition from the academy.....just not this year.

Actually while I'm at it for every spawny actress like Hall Berry there are top performers like Oprah Winfrey, Jennifer Hudson, Alfre Woodward, Philicia Rashad, Pam Grier..........again all, at some point I'm sure, recognised by their peers.

I can't be bothered to watch the ceremony any more. I'm fed up with all the pc getting in the way of what these awards ought to be given for: the best cinematic achievements, no matter colour, creed, moral or political viewpoint.  Trouble is, as many of you say, there's precious few films being made deserving of such an accolade.

Last edited by pipoldchap (Mon 29 Feb 2016 10:21 pm)

For the record... I thought Compton was a good film and if you put it against Mad "Hood By Air" Max then it definitely merited some kind of mention.

Take off hosers ...

Parking Patawayo is nominated for best actor.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

I had to look that one up.

People are Twats

Reggie Perrin wrote:

I had to look that one up.

People are Twats

Mate of mine and CBDS is up for the sound Oscar for the mix on Baby Driver. Reckons he won't win as it's up against a lot of bigger movies. Not sure myself as it is a very good mix. He also up for the BAFTA and has a lot more chance with
that.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

albert herbert hawkins wrote:

Mate of mine and CBDS is up for the sound Oscar for the mix on Baby Driver. Reckons he won't win as it's up against a lot of bigger movies. Not sure myself as it is a very good mix. He also up for the BAFTA and has a lot more chance with
that.

cool.  With the advent of streaming and Kodi I have watched all the best movie and best actor films before the Oscars the last two years.  Makes the awards mean a lot more as in the past I'd hardly seen anything.

Ah Reg, you are stealing art there.

If you continue, they'll be no films to watch because they won't be able to afford to make them.

Expanding Man wrote:

Ah Reg, you are stealing art there.

If you continue, they'll be no films to watch because they won't be able to afford to make them.

Nah, I pay my dues, we pay Sky, Netflix, Amazon and have three kids to take to the Cinema.  They get plenty off me mate.

albert herbert hawkins wrote:

that.

Is he really?? Is he off to LA for it?