Topic: Reasons to Stay alive - Matt Haig

I have wondered for a little while if i suffered from depression. After reading this book I realize i suffer from feeling low, and can relate to bits of it, but i know i am not depressive. The writer articulates depression better than anything else i have read on the subject. Its a fascinating, insightful and emotional read. I am really glad i read it.

Re: Reasons to Stay alive - Matt Haig

I've started but not finished it.  Felt a bit self help.

I've bought some of his novels to see if they are any better.

Aim Low and miss...

I actually wasn't fussed on it. He seems to have got stuck between writing an autobiography and a self help guide, and it ended up neither.

Sure he describes his experiences well, and does it with a modicum of humour, despite the harrowing subject. But I ended up with more questions. Did his depression just begin in Ibiza? Was there a trigger, or had it built for a while? The book seemed to jump from his diagnosis to getting a bit better, to being recovered. But I wasn't too sure how he got better, apart from his girlfriend being there for him. He apparently didn't take any pills, and there's no mention of meeting a counsellor.

Think he been better to just sticking to an autobiography type book

lend's some dough

I follow him on twitter - interesting chap.

I have also read 'The Humans' - which is fucking ace and am 2/3rds of the way through 'How To Stop Time' which is fucking tremendous.

He uses his experiences clearly and both are tinged with sadness and, if I am honest, depress me a little bit to much.  Maybe more than i'd like but the books are very very good and readable.  Short paragraphs makes you want to read on and on and on.

He uses the human condition and how we feel a lot and creates marvelous characters that are unique and have clear 'differences' to allow him to explore lots of facets of us/people in clear detail.

If you can't tell I like him and I want you to as well.  All of you.

Aim Low and miss...

He's a great bloke who cares deeply about human beings. His best book, for me, apart from The Humans, was The Radleys.