Topic: Yugoslavia - and the constituent parts

All trips Slovenian, Croatian, Serbian, Bosnian, Montenegran, Kosovo.

Post your experiences or desires here

Re: Yugoslavia - and the constituent parts

Been to Tisno Croatia for the last 7 years, this is for the Suncebeat music festival. Been to Montenegro last 2 years as well for the Southern soul festival. Croatia beautiful, but Monty is stunning, The drive from Dubrovnlk to Copocapana beach in Ulcinj is breathtaking in parts ! Not fussed about Serbia + Kosovo, but Slovenia + Albania are on my tick list.

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

l.q.navarro. wrote:

Been to Tisno Croatia for the last 7 years, this is for the Suncebeat music festival. Been to Montenegro last 2 years as well for the Southern soul festival. Croatia beautiful, but Monty is stunning, The drive from Dubrovnlk to Copocapana beach in Ulcinj is breathtaking in parts ! Not fussed about Serbia + Kosovo, but Slovenia + Albania are on my tick list.

Croatia - did Electric Elephant in the first year near Zadar.

My girlfriend has just come back from hopping round a few islands near Tisno. Loves it, absolutely loves it.

l.q.navarro. wrote:

Montenegro is well worth a visit. I stayed in Prcanj on bay of Kotor. Did loads of trips out but didnt get as far south as Ulcinj. Best one was lake swimming on lake skaddar. Amongst lilly pads.

Been to Croatia twice now so wont be going back for a bit. Really loved Slovenia though. In the mountains, stsyed near Most na Soci. Will defo be off back to stay up near Bovec in Soca valley.

Anyone been to Bosnia?

Hey Placid.  Pity we never got a chance to catch up in Istria the other week. 

As you'll have noted from Insta pics we did Croatia and a bit of Slovenia this year.  Really enjoyed Croatia but thought Slovenia was really cool.  We did  a day trip to Ljubljana from Croatia and I thought it was acemans.  Also had an evening in Piran on the coast on way home from day in Trieste - absolutely stunning place and possibly the prettiest coastal town I've seen on the Med/Adriatic.  Also nipped over to Koper for a game in Slovenian Prva liga.  Twenty euros in for five of us - pish game mind.  Gutted we never made it to Lake Bled but had to concede to a  shopping excursion to balance off the stadium jibbing exploits and ran out of time.  Will definitely go back to Slovenia - lots to see up North in the mountains it seems.

Checked out Istrian coastal towns of Novigrad, Porec, Rovinj and Pula which were all very pleasant and also had a day trip to Rijeka which wasn't all that and spent two hours in a traffic jam waiting to go through the Ucka tunnel to get there.

Croatian sunsets absolutely stunning. 

Thinking about Southern Croatia next year and popping into Montenegro and Bosnia.  I really fancy checking out Mostar and Sarajevo.

If you're still in Veneto and have time to kill before your flight we had an impromptu picnic at Forte Marghera which is 10 mins from the airport.  Pretty cool place and there's an exhibition as part of the architecture bienalle which looked interesting but wasn't open until later in the day.

Haven't previously seen a great deal of Eastern Europe apart from Prague and Bucharest and looking to rectify in due course.

Going to Croatia for a week in mid-September. Four nights in Split followed by 3 on Hvar. Any particular recommendations from anyone?

There's a group of 6 of us going, Hadjuk Split are playing one evening when we're there and we were keen on going. Anybody been? I'd say Misura but he seems to have disappeared again!

Last edited by TheHumanDynamo (Tue 16 Aug 2016 4:47 pm)

placidcasual wrote:
l.q.navarro. wrote:

Montenegro is well worth a visit. I stayed in Prcanj on bay of Kotor. Did loads of trips out but didnt get as far south as Ulcinj. Best one was lake swimming on lake skaddar. Amongst lilly pads.

Been to Croatia twice now so wont be going back for a bit. Really loved Slovenia though. In the mountains, stsyed near Most na Soci. Will defo be off back to stay up near Bovec in Soca valley.

Anyone been to Bosnia?

Mrs MAC is just in the process of booking a place in Muo on the bay of Kotor. Any other tips placid or should we be going back to Croatia ?

Mega Armageddon Chickens wrote:
placidcasual wrote:
l.q.navarro. wrote:

Anyone been to Bosnia?

Mrs MAC is just in the process of booking a place in Muo on the bay of Kotor. Any other tips placid or should we be going back to Croatia ?

Lad went to Croatia a few weeks back.  Had a very expensive problem with the company that did his transfer to/from the resort.  (transfers.si)  Stay well clear.

placidcasual wrote:
l.q.navarro. wrote:

Anyone been to Bosnia?

I preferred Montenegro to Croatia and you're right next door to where we were. We were in Pracanj. If you're driving be prepared for the maddest narrowest roads you've seen that go from Kotor through Muo and right round to Rose where the ferry is. The restaurants are beauty, all have tables right on the bay, it's probably one of the most picturesque places we've had a summer holiday. It's a like a Fjord in the Sun.

You can be sat there having a coffee and a massive fuck off cruise liner glides by. Never cease to look impressive given the size and the bay back drop.

You can swim in the bay, loads of jumping off and diving platforms. In terms of Kotor we only went a few times we were there. We went to the resorts on the coast. They're worth it just to see the Serbs and Rooskis swanning about and to listen to the Eastern Europe Euro beat blaring out of every bar and restaurant. 

In terms of Beaches, like Croatia most are stones but once you get some of them beach shoes you'll get used to it. Makes for more blue and clearer waters. Nicest beach we went to was Plavi Horizont, was packed on the beach but not intrusively so. And the water was well warm for swimming in. Can swim right out, its pretty shallow for a long way out.

We had a good day out at the Island of Sventi Nikolai, get the boat from Budva. We were on the beach near the jetty so the kids could jump in as much as they liked. Budva is a bit tacky but great for people watching. Same for Petrovac, the water their is an unbelievable colour. Milky blue. Not right eat

Best experience we had was at Lake Skaddar. Can get a boat round the lake and they stop for you all to get out and swim in the lake. It's well good. If you go to Montenegro make sure you go here.

Worst experience was getting our car towed in Budva after being on the Island. Bit of a scam going, if you dont pay for parking you'll get towed and have to pay €140 to get it back. Bit of a shock getting back to where we left the car to find it gone, the woman that e rented the apartment off was great, she got on the phone to the rozzers and helped us get it back sooner. She said its not just a foreign tourist thing, its a seasonal thing with it being summer.

Perast was really nice on the other side from Muo and Prcanj. Can swim in the water and the view is pretty special from there too.

We got a mother of a thunder storm came through it was pretty scary stuff. Movie style one, all the outside furniture was all over the shop the following say smashed to bits. Horizontal Hail, felt like we were in the clouds in the centre of it.

I found Dubrovnik busy, hot and over packed with the cruise and Game of Thrones brigade. Worth a visit but I wouldn't like to stay there.

Last edited by placidcasual (Tue 11 Jul 2017 7:34 am)

placidcasual wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Anyone been to Bosnia?

I preferred Montenegro to Croatia and you're right next door to where we were. We were in Pracanj. If you're driving be prepared for the maddest narrowest roads you've seen that go from Kotor through Muo and right round to Rose where the ferry is. The restaurants are beauty, all have tables right on the bay, it's probably one of the most picturesque places we've had a summer holiday. It's a like a Fjord in the Sun.
http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p554/placid_casual1/21792de6d3e518b08b23f94fd03a21a0_zps222a9e8e.jpg
You can be sat there having a coffee and a massive fuck off cruise liner glides by. Never cease to look impressive given the size and the bay back drop.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p554/placid_casual1/e6d468a1a0926f4f205a3ec28edb6cf5_zps2a88be4c.jpg

You can swim in the bay, loads of jumping off and diving platforms. In terms of Kotor we only went a few times we were there. We went to the resorts on the coast. They're worth it just to see the Serbs and Rooskis swanning about and to listen to the Eastern Europe Euro beat blaring out of every bar and restaurant. 

In terms of Beaches, like Croatia most are stones but once you get some of them beach shoes you'll get used to it. Makes for more blue and clearer waters. Nicest beach we went to was Plavi Horizont, was packed on the beach but not intrusively so. And the water was well warm for swimming in. Can swim right out, its pretty shallow for a long way out.

We had a good day out at the Island of Sventi Nikolai, get the boat from Budva. We were on the beach near the jetty so the kids could jump in as much as they liked. Budva is a bit tacky but great for people watching. Same for Petrovac, the water their is an unbelievable colour. Milky blue. Not right clear though.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p554/placid_casual1/65c32e972fa89ae3f7a3eebf9d533211_zpsf68f605c.jpg

Best experience we had was at Lake Skaddar. Can get a boat round the lake and they stop for you all to get out and swim in the lake. It's well good. If you go to Montenegro make sure you go here.

Worst experience was getting our car towed in Budva after being on the Island. Bit of a scam going, if you dont pay for parking you'll get towed and have to pay €140 to get it back. Bit of a shock getting back to where we left the car to find it gone, the woman that e rented the apartment off was great, she got on the phone to the rozzers and helped us get it back sooner. She said its not just a foreign tourist thing, its a seasonal thing with it being summer.

Perast was really nice on the other side from Muo and Prcanj. Can swim in the water and the view is pretty special from there too.

We got a mother of a thunder storm came through it was pretty scary stuff. Movie style one, all the outside furniture was all over the shop the following say smashed to bits. Horizontal Hail, felt like we were in the clouds in the centre of it.

I found Dubrovnik busy, hot and over packed with the cruise and Game of Thrones brigade. Worth a visit but I wouldn't like to stay there.

Thanks for your comprehensive response placid. I'm not sure I fancy driving as all the reports suggest its a bit hairy.

We stayed just outside Dubrovnik a few months ago and had a cracking time and I even managed to run into some cousins dragging their kids round the Game of Thrones locations.

The problem we have at the moment is trying to explain to people where Montenegro is and that it is not a part of Africa.

You need to fuck photobucket off placid and use imgur instead

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/3 … party_pgs/

CBIT wrote:

You need to fuck photobucket off placid and use imgur instead

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/3 … party_pgs/

Wondered what was going on the fuckers.

And as if by magic

http://imgur.com/gallery/8HtAw

Fly to Split tomorrow for a weeks jaunt around Hvar. Looking forward to it...

Be careful out there

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ … k-tourists

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

I'll be as good as gold.
https://www.bluesunhotels.com/EasyEdit/UserFiles/PageImages/hvar/hvar-635974338257072900-3_728_409.jpeg

Loose Lips wrote:

I'll be as good as gold.
https://www.bluesunhotels.com/EasyEdit/UserFiles/PageImages/hvar/hvar-635974338257072900-3_728_409.jpeg

Looks horrendous - God knows why you'd even bother

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Hvar is an interesting place. 

Beautiful, hot and a wide mix of backpackers, Boaty McBoatfaces and just generally waded motherfuckers.

To say there's no sandy beaches its rammed.

Stony beaches - the great equaliser.

There were Geordies teenagers, stunning Croatian girls and fat Germans all in the last bar.

It is a paradise but it's not the normal fare.

Full disclosure - my girlfriend hired a boat for three days and it was great fun. That said, chemical toilets are the scourge of the rich. You can't escape shit can you?

The ex-soviets are cool with a concrete pier. And the love a rocky outcrop. The sharper the better.

This is supposedly the new Ibiza. Two clubs on the island start at midnight, the mentalists.

She fancies it tonight. I've suggested a nice meal and a glass of wine instead. Her eye's agreed, her pride said Beach Rave.

We'll see what happens. She's all talk.

I did however have the best BBQ seafood in a restaurant you can only get to by sea last night.

It was fucking astonishing.

I am grieving over the fact I sat on my brand new Persols that I remortgaged the house for. She moved them on purpose and its been the main source of friction.

I am obviously now partly blind.

Which blitering idiot would go on a family holiday to this place?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n … d-40654144

What's the deal on Crotian Kunas? I've read to wait until you're there for better rates?

Site stalwart.

Harvest wrote:

What's the deal on Crotian Kunas? I've read to wait until you're there for better rates?

I'd heard the same but I didn't notice much difference when I changed money over there.

More for Placid as a bit of Yugoslavia fan but Black Lamb and Grey Falcon: A Journey Through Yugoslavia by Rebecca West is worth a plough through on the assumption that he isn't already on page 800.

Harvest wrote:

I'd heard the same but I didn't notice much difference when I changed money over there.

More for Placid as a bit of Yugoslavia fan but Black Lamb and Grey Falcon: A Journey Through Yugoslavia by Rebecca West is worth a plough through on the assumption that he isn't already on page 800.

Cheers will look it up.

Ace trip to Croatia. Lovely hotel in Novigrad, right on the beach. I've never seen sunsets like it, every night, huge great, deep red sunsets, absolutely stunning.

Novigrad's a really nice town, ace bars and restaurants round the harbour. Me and the lad hired bikes one day and had a potter up the coast, all very nice. Did a trip to Rovinj and Pula. Rovinj, very picturesque, called Little Venice apparently. Also did Big Venice or Venice as it's more commonly known. Bit of a whistlestop tour but glad I did it. Most touristy place I've ever been but fantastic to see. Got a water taxi back to our ferry down the Grand Canal, unforgettable.

First family holiday where I've thought, yeh, might come back next year.

Thumbs up for the former Yugoslavia.

Site stalwart.

Novigrad.
https://preview.ibb.co/gyEi7Q/IMG_20170820_115806.jpg

Site stalwart.

Rovinj

https://preview.ibb.co/mXXaMk/20170821100907.jpg

Last edited by Harvest (Mon 28 Aug 2017 9:02 pm)

Site stalwart.