Re: Adios senor pussycat

Great album . Winter turns to spring is a classic. How good are the last two songs, especially the choruses.

I am just a common breed

Kids vetoed it being on in the car.  Later today it's getting the Royal treatment.  "couch, cans, tea"

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Cracking album. Really enjoying it. See that song, 'Winter turns to spring'. Stopped me in my tracks. Just beautiful.

The one about the teacher, Regina.. Lovely.  Just getting to listen to it in the car, smashing stuff.

Just ordered ASP on the basis of OMJ's enthusiasm and a brief listen to a couple of tracks. Not really familiar with his past work but hoping for a pleasant surprise.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

The one about the teacher, Regina.. Lovely.  Just getting to listen to it in the car, smashing stuff.

that's the only one I can't get on with.

Rudi wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Same here think it’s the guitar sounds repetitive and lazy

Track 1 Picasso is cracking.

Rudi wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Quirky lyrics.  Liked it.  Stuck out in my memory after first listen.

Micks played queen of all saints lots of times when I've seen him along with a few others. I kind of thought it might have been binned because it didn't make the artoriius ep and wasn't released as a single.  It's probably my least favourite but Can't believe American kid or Santa fe plus a few others were ignored in favour of that.. but plenty of people seem to love it so it's justified being there.

Working family I have always loved and the finished version is fantastic. Winter turns to spring in to working family just works for me.. as does the whole album.

And it definitely sounds better on vinyl... plus looks better...feels better...smells better...

Catch ma drift motherfuckers

They got fuck all from Spotify etc

Last edited by scootay (Thu 26 Oct 2017 9:04 am)

hendersonjones wrote:
Rudi wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Same here think it’s the guitar sounds repetitive and lazy

Just sounds a bit odd cos it's such a monotonous dirge type arrangement, which is not meant as a criticism. On of my favourite songs is All Tomorrow's Parties. I like monotonous music. It's just the rest of the album is so bright and harmonious, despite the melancholia.

But the rest of it. It's an absolute work of art. Can't stop listening. That traditional Scottish tune - wonderful.

Wild mountain thyme is the original by Joan baez

Last edited by hendersonjones (Fri 27 Oct 2017 6:21 am)

One of the tracks has an echo of The Way it Is by Bruce Hornsby. Not in a bad way I should add.

I noticed that too Reg, the second last one. Just on the versus mind. Great song all the same. That version of wild mountain thyme has made me dig out 5th Dimension by the Byrds. A lot of the guitar is total byrds. Working family for example - pure byrds. Love it!

Winter turns to Spring......... Glorious.  Picasso too.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Sat 28 Oct 2017 9:29 am)

I like that we are all listening to an album.  It's like Richard and Judy's book club.

Never been his biggest fan, never really understood the hype to be honest. Sacrilege on here I know, but fuck it, I listen to battle rap, opinions are like arseholes and all that.
But I thought I'd give this a listen. Deserves it in the strength of the cover alone (brilliant design, just the right side of retro).
Some really good songs. Picasso is a favourite after the first listen. I just don't think his voice does what he writes justice. He can sing, no doubt but they deserve something a little bit more. Queen of All Saints is a good example. You can hear a lot of influences, all good I should add. But his voice spoils the track.
Maybe I'm not articulating it very well but there's just something more the songs need and he doesn't provide it.
Would love him to go to the States and work with some people over there. Get some Nashville guys producing him. He has a classic in him with he right people. And he could write some great stuff for younger singers.
Thank god there's people still writing stuff like this mind.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

He sings as he speaks and that works for me. I'm always far more in to someone who sings in their own accent... err apart from that jafaican grime shite..

Some people's voices you either get on with or you don't.  If you heard the original cut of adios that was shelved a while back you might find it as shocking as I did. Micks voice seemed to have nearly gone. ... right now I'm loving his voice.

Try closer by shack Travis... beautiful Mick vocal on that

Not about the accent. I just don't think he has the depth and tone to do a lot of the songs he writes justice. He's got talent, no doubt.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

I noticed that too Reg, the second last one. Just on the versus mind. Great song all the same. That version of wild mountain thyme has made me dig out 5th Dimension by the Byrds. A lot of the guitar is total byrds. Working family for example - pure byrds. Love it!

Track 12.  What's the Difference.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Track 12.  What's the Difference.

Mick almost breaks out into god only knows by the beach boys during track 12

track 5 , the beginning is pure crossroads

found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmf-28MCMX4