Topic: Running ... again

Forgot who the keen runners were on here, LL and a couple of other chaps.

Good mate of mine, not particularly athletic bar skateboarding started this #run365 project. Run every day of the year, at least a mile a day, he's now on day 250 odd so i finally got my arse in gear .

Day 3 tonight, -8 outside with a windchill of -15 for a brisk 5K .

My instagram will shortly turn into a sightseeing trip of TO while I run @mrnicjones

Take off hosers ...

Re: Running ... again

I'm still at it albeit travelling with work throws me off. I'll be out this week.

You on Strava TT?

I came back from holiday at nearly 16 stone. Fell back pretty quickly but trying to get under 15 on my way to 14 ideally. Ran home from work a few weeks back in the dark which 11 miles but haven't hit that distance again yet.

Toronto Ted wrote:

Forgot who the keen runners were on here, LL and a couple of other chaps.

Good mate of mine, not particularly athletic bar skateboarding started this #run365 project. Run every day of the year, at least a mile a day, he's now on day 250 odd so i finally got my arse in gear .

Day 3 tonight, -8 outside with a windchill of -15 for a brisk 5K .

My instagram will shortly turn into a sightseeing trip of TO while I run @mrnicjones

Nice one. Keep telling myself I'm going to start again.

Ron Hill ran for 19032 days straight.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl … -a-day-off

Site stalwart.

Loose Lips wrote:

I'm still at it albeit travelling with work throws me off. I'll be out this week.

You on Strava TT?

I know i run roughly 12k and hour. i-pod for tunes and brain for entertainment big_smile

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Tue 14 Mar 2017 2:47 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Why is every fuckr faster than me?

Nice going wink

Bloke at work does ultra-running. His account of the 'Spine' is long but well worth a read. He's a great bloke but f***ing mental...
https://outstretchedhands.co/2016/01/26/the-spine-2016/

Last edited by Travis Bickle (Tue 14 Mar 2017 4:14 pm)

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

I had to stop running when it fucked my neck up.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

I am still at it but becoming slower, longer to recover from injury and losing my impetus.

I have basically been running since I was about 13 (47 now) and feel like I just can't be fagged with it any more.

However when I have my mojo there is nothing better.  Thinking, feeling great, clear mind, great sleep and losing weight.

TT just followed you on IG - @33daysclean

Aim Low and miss...

More power to all off you. I don't think I physically can run these days.

Staaaaaaaaannnnnddddd!!!!!

Site stalwart.

danpiesley wrote:

I am still at it but becoming slower, longer to recover from injury and losing my impetus.

I have basically been running since I was about 13 (47 now) and feel like I just can't be fagged with it any more.

However when I have my mojo there is nothing better.  Thinking, feeling great, clear mind, great sleep and losing weight.

TT just followed you on IG - @33daysclean

Aha, cheers Dan, day 8 just under belt

Take off hosers ...

I still try and get out once a week - I still call it a run although it is more like a slow plod. I find it quite relaxing, lets me think about things without getting distracted by the missus or kids. There a few trails where we live so just get out and follow one of those .. plod along the flat and downhill bits and walk up the hills. Usually a bit of struggle to get out but reckon it keeps me sane.

Last edited by smiley (Mon 20 Mar 2017 3:09 am)

Still at it TT?

Harvest wrote:

These colours never run smile

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
Harvest wrote:

These colours never run smile

Unless bought from Primark!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

#run365 - how many miles are you doing a day TT?

Is it just get 3 under your belt or are you varying?

smiley wrote:

I still try and get out once a week - I still call it a run although it is more like a slow plod. I find it quite relaxing, lets me think about things without getting distracted by the missus or kids. There a few trails where we live so just get out and follow one of those .. plod along the flat and downhill bits and walk up the hills. Usually a bit of struggle to get out but reckon it keeps me sane.

Fair fucks mush - that is what it is all about in my mind.

Aim Low and miss...

I ran a lot in my younger days. As one ages, it puts too much stress on the joints according to a quack I know. Walking (that's WALKING, as the OMJ topic makes clear) is as enjoyable and much easier on ageing limbs. We were put on the earth to walk, so gerrout there!

Loose Lips wrote:

Just ddi day 10. I'd say on average i do 3 miles a day 5 days a week and then a couple of longer run, probably 5 miles twice a week. A couple of times i've literally gone out for 20 minutes due to it being minus 10 and there being snow under foot. Took a massive tumble on day 2, knee still bruised to f*ck. I think once im used to running every day then I'll put a real prgramme in place. Aim is the Toronto half marathon in October for around 1h 40.

The hardest bit is not the running, thats pretty easy. Its fitting it into a schedule of having a 5 year old and your own business.
Trying just to be up at 6 am now ...

Its good, it makes you commit to something, stick at it and not give up, + you get healthy.

Take off hosers ...

Was supposed to be running the Tokyo marathon last month. After 10 years I finally got a place (over 350,000 applications for 30,000 places), but tore my tendon (CT band issue?) in my left knee just after Christmas. That kaiboshed the run sadly, so sold my ticket to my colleague who ran it instead.

When i went t pick up the bib and stuff at the check-in, showed my photo ID and they put a wrist tag on, with a security thing built in. Cut it off, glued it back onto my colleague's wrist and prayed like mad (he'd been training for two months). Thankfully, the electronic tag didn't go off when he went into the starting pen.

Will start jogging again soon, now its warming up here. Should be able to get some decent runs in until late June before it gets too hot. Running in a Canadian winter can't be any fun?

'a face like a binmans glove... like a Sea Bream's anus...like a dill pickle in a cobblers handbag'

Toronto Ted wrote:
Loose Lips wrote:

Just ddi day 10. I'd say on average i do 3 miles a day 5 days a week and then a couple of longer run, probably 5 miles twice a week. A couple of times i've literally gone out for 20 minutes due to it being minus 10 and there being snow under foot. Took a massive tumble on day 2, knee still bruised to f*ck. I think once im used to running every day then I'll put a real prgramme in place. Aim is the Toronto half marathon in October for around 1h 40.

The hardest bit is not the running, thats pretty easy. Its fitting it into a schedule of having a 5 year old and your own business.
Trying just to be up at 6 am now ...

Its good, it makes you commit to something, stick at it and not give up, + you get healthy.

Yeah the time. I don't have kids or run a business and it was a fucker.

I ran yesterday, taking my gear to London - I love running there - so hopefully get a few more miles in.

pipoldchap wrote:

I ran a lot in my younger days. As one ages, it puts too much stress on the joints according to a quack I know. Walking (that's WALKING, as the OMJ topic makes clear) is as enjoyable and much easier on ageing limbs. We were put on the earth to walk, so gerrout there!

BBC show on the other week that debunked this as a myth - knees in particular can take a lot of strain.  i think it is years of contact sport, twisting and turning that eff them up.

I can run in a straight line and have the turning circle of Belgium and my knees are shot to bits - as soon as I start turning corners they kill me...

Aim Low and miss...

3 weeks in probably averaging 5K a day. Couple of 10 minute runs due to being absolutely f*cked with 12 hour days at work and then trying to run. Other night literally threw on some runners and went out in jeans and T-shirt for 15 minutes just to get the run in.
Done about 4 10K runs and will be doing the Toronto Marathon 10K next month for Sick Kids charidee

Thanks for the support Dan

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Sat 01 Apr 2017 1:01 am)

Take off hosers ...

Enjoying seeing your progress on insta.

Nice one mush.

It looks like my running will be curtailed for at least two more months.  Pissed off is not the word.  I enjoy it so much and had built up reasonable fitness.

See middle aged injury/boring bastard thread.

Aim Low and miss...