Re: Running ... again

Day 123

Listened to this on loop for 45 minutes - 9k ... so good I've posted it twice
Danke big_smile

Take off hosers ...

Had a cracking run last night.  Been really hit and miss with it lately.  So - found a nature reserve I was only vaguely aware of.  Lovely and flat - I can adjust mileage as I can lap it and it has a clear route to anouther nature centre where I can kick out to a 11/12 miler if needs be. 

A nice 4.5 last night hovering around 9.00 min miles.  Felt great.

Aim Low and miss...

Nice one Dan.

Obviously TT's edfort is blowing my mind.

Manchester half lined up for October. Sub 1:50 is the plan...

The eldest is doing the Berlin marathon, later this year. hmm

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Just got back into the running myself.
Recently moved out to a lovely part of the world on the gateway to the Dales and there's some ace trails and scenery to enjoy.

Do a 10k run early every Sunday morning and then depending on how I feel, anything between 6k and 9k every other night.
Usually manage to hit 8/9 minute miles and that'll do nicely these days.
Even got half a dozen runs in during a recent 2 weeks in the Algarve.

Far more enjoyable than going to the gym at work,which I've fucked off altogether now...never really understood why people are happy to run on a treadmill when they can be outdoors taking in some nice scenery and fresh air.

Still can't lose that middle age spread though but at least I take comfort in the fact I'm having a go!

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Loose Lips wrote:

Nice one Dan.

Obviously TT's edfort is blowing my mind.

Manchester half lined up for October. Sub 1:50 is the plan...

Yeah - TT is going great.

Good luck with that half.

Aim Low and miss...

Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Just got back into the running myself.
Recently moved out to a lovely part of the world on the gateway to the Dales and there's some ace trails and scenery to enjoy.

Do a 10k run early every Sunday morning and then depending on how I feel, anything between 6k and 9k every other night.
Usually manage to hit 8/9 minute miles and that'll do nicely these days.
Even got half a dozen runs in during a recent 2 weeks in the Algarve.

Far more enjoyable than going to the gym at work,which I've fucked off altogether now...never really understood why people are happy to run on a treadmill when they can be outdoors taking in some nice scenery and fresh air.

Still can't lose that middle age spread though but at least I take comfort in the fact I'm having a go!

Good man

That'll middle age spread won't go unless you change your diet.  Too many carbs (possibly from beer?) won't help.  If,   like me,  you can't give up the booze then your running should keep on top of it........

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

You can be a right fat cunt but still do some decent mileage I have found. 

That idea of having a flat belly at at least one period in my life is a dim and distant memory for me.

I had a very brisk four mile walk last night - 55 mins - so easing myself back in gently.

Get myself into a three runs a week groove.

Aim Low and miss...

Running is time heavy, but I don't mind that. I'm going to start running to work - maybe, maybe back again.

It's 11 miles.

I ran home a month back and held 9:30 mpm over hilly stretchs so I was pleased with that.

Two days left of my holiday then back to it.

Obviously anything over 10 miles time becomes and issue.  Not as bad as cycling though in my experience.  I'd be out for hours and never managed more than 33 miles.

I think running some shorter stuff on flat surfaces (canals), harder is better.  Better for health, weight loss and building fitness.  that's what I do anyway - absolutely fuck hills.  I'm like cav trying to get up Mount Ventoux when I run up a hill - I just stop.

Aim Low and miss...

Definitely intervals is the way forward midweek.

If i can get to work once a week one way thats a decent long run.

I don't mind hills. The Leeds half is uphill for the six miles. I really enjoyed it.  Struggled coming down though.

I feel guilty if I don't squeeze at least one hill into a run.
In any case it makes running on the flat seem pissball after that.
No better feeling when get your second wind.

Day 150
Only 150 days to go before i start bothering you all for donations

Take off hosers ...

Anyone do a 1 mile challnege?

I've started doing intervals and timing my best mile.

Currently at 07.55

Aim Low and miss...

Just done my first Park Run.  Near killed me.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Mon 28 Aug 2017 10:29 am)

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Beautiful morning,no work,so thought I'd try a different route this morning.
Decided to run that back road (Denton rd) from Ilkley,which runs parallel with the river,all the way into a little village called Askwith.
It's about 6.5 miles there and back so a decent run.
When I reached the grounds to Denton Hall, took a glance left and the adjacent fields were full of deer....must have been over a hundred,some grazing,others just laid there.
'Twas a magnificent sight,some big fuckers too,fully antlered up.

Plodded on up the hill into Askwith and at the top you can see right across the Wharfe valley,the Cow and Calf rocks perched on top of the moor bathed in glorious sunshine and then right across to Otley the other way.
One of those mornings when you feel good to be alive!

Back home fucked now like but a fabulous start to the day all the same.

Just done a quick 3.5 miles.

Got the MCR Half in 7 weeks and need to sort my shit out

Can't claim to have seen 100 deer but an early morning run down the canal is as OW says a great way to start the day.

Would be better if I was two stone lighter but that will come in time...

I need to get back into this shit.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Loose Lips wrote:

Just done a quick 3.5 miles.

Got the MCR Half in 7 weeks and need to sort my shit out

Can't claim to have seen 100 deer but an early morning run down the canal is as OW says a great way to start the day.

Would be better if I was two stone lighter but that will come in time...

Have you done this one before ? Thinking of doing it myself if i can get my arse back on the road. Ive read its a flat fast course unlike the last one i did (Bradford last year ) one which i would not recomend.

Harvest wrote:

I need to get back into this shit.

No. You need to buy a bike.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

My arse has only just stopped hurting from last week's trek. Do they do comfy seats?

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Decided to run that back road (Denton rd) from Ilkley,which runs parallel with the river,all the way into a little village called Askwith.
When I reached the grounds to Denton Hall, took a glance left and the adjacent fields were full of deer....must have been over a hundred,some grazing,others just laid there.

Plodded on up the hill into Askwith and at the top you can see right across the Wharfe valley,the Cow and Calf rocks perched on top of the moor bathed in glorious sunshine and then right across to Otley the other way.

Is that boozer still there in Askwith, forgot the name? Used to walk over there a lot when I was a kid, after negotiating the stepping stones at B-in-W.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Ace.

Aim Low and miss...

Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Nice going !

I'm probably averaging about 4.5K a day now, up to day 173.
The biggest change is finding it relatively easy to run for 45/50 minutes at decent pace

Take off hosers ...

Harvest wrote:

My arse has only just stopped hurting from last week's trek. Do they do comfy seats?

Bicycles??
You a man or a mouse?

Shanks' every time!