Re: Running ... again

People are Twats

Got my number through for Liverpool half marathon this morning with Allen Leeds on it so i’ll have to do it now! Doing 8 to 10 miles twice a week now so on target, went a bit further this morning but don’t know how far cos map my fucking run didn’t work again !

When is Liverpool?

I did my first proper run in about 18 months last night.

A multi terrain 10K - and it was tough.  Three sharp hills, one up a bridle path, one up a sand bank and one up a shingle track - hard work. 

Two years ago I did it in 49 mins and last night - only moderately fit I did it in 52.  I was well made up with it and has given me the motivation back to crack on with it.  i had convinced myself I was cooked and could not run any more.  So well pleased.

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

When is Liverpool?

A multi terrain 10K - and it was tough.  Three sharp hills, one up a bridle path, one up a sand bank and one up a shingle track - hard work. 

Two years ago I did it in 49 mins and last night - only moderately fit I did it in 52.  I was well made up with it and has given me the motivation back to crack on with it.  i had convinced myself I was cooked and could not run any more.  So well pleased.

..and so you should be if you've not done a run in 18months!

I ran 11k on Sunday morning and clocked 55 minutes and it was mainly road but even then was chuffed so that's pretty impressive!
I also get out 3 or 4 times a week!

Good going mate.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Ahhhhh - I feel I have not made myself clear.  I meant an organised race.  I have been running, but only moderately.

Maybe once or twice a week but Ihad got my head in this zone where I felt as if I was done.  I could not run all the way on any run, I quit the running club and had convinced myself that 10/11 min miles was the norm.

Lat night the crowd and running with my niece's fellah was real motivation and was averaging 8.59 pace. I was well made up.

I am going back to the club and going to up my miles and my attitude.

11K at 55 mins is ace stuff - flying!  well done pal.

Aim Low and miss...

It was even running nearly all the way mate so not quite as good as it sounds.
Some days I really struggle to hit 10 minute miles if I'm not on it or had a few drinks the night before.

I tend to know after the first mile if it's going to be be a good run or one where all I can think about is getting back home.

As you get older reckon it's just as much about mental strength rather than physical.

^^^ This - totally.  Plus I can feel the weekend fags on me chest.

I am the same - start of a run, I can pretty much sense if I should abandon or if I will fly. 

Have you ever run and the one overriding thought is to get back quickly so you can have a fag?

Aim Low and miss...

Never smoked mate so can’t share your pain on that one.
Just got in from work, sun shining, so going to get a sneaky 4 miler in to wind down.

Have started running again. Not been getting out on the road bike and the weight's gone up as a result.
Decided I wanted a quick and easy way to lose some. Just doing 2 miles or so a couple of times a week atm.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

danpiesley wrote:

When is Liverpool

Was 25th March and I would highly recommend it, fast flatish course not that i’ve got any speed in me. Great route with the last few miles alongside the Mersey, and Sunday night in Liverpool is a good night.

danpiesley wrote:

^^^ This - totally.  Plus I can feel the weekend fags on me chest.

I am the same - start of a run, I can pretty much sense if I should abandon or if I will fly. 

Have you ever run and the one overriding thought is to get back quickly so you can have a fag?

Not for many years. that time you did the other day was blinding

My running is like quitting the booze .... all in or not at all. no control to do 3 days a week, either every day or when i can be arsed.

Can someone smash my on/off button

Take off hosers ...

Was 25th March and I would highly recommend it, fast flatish course not that i’ve got any speed in me. Great route with the last few miles alongside the Mersey, and Sunday night in Liverpool is a good night.

Cheers.  Sounds good.  I have done a few halves over the years.  I might try another but it has to be flatish.  I've heard good things about Chester also.

TT - you back at it?

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

Cheers.  Sounds good.  I have done a few halves over the years.  I might try another but it has to be flatish.  I've heard good things about Chester also.

TT - you back at it?

Doing Manchester in October which is really flat apparantly. First 2 i did were Leeds then Bradford which were much harder hill wise although my training runs involve a fair few hills. My wife mentioned the Chester one  to me but i think its cos she wants to visit there.

What sort of times you doing, or is that irrelevant?

I am going to do a flat 5 later I think - round the week off.

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

What sort of times you doing, or is that irrelevant?

I am going to do a flat 5 later I think - round the week off.

I’m a bit of a plodder although I was pleased with my Liverpool time of 2 hours 14 ( I know it’s not great but ok for me ) my first one which was Leeds took me 2 hours 35 ! Doing a nice flat 8 miler tomorrow from Skipsea to Hornsea and back on beach and cliff top. Looking at your 10k time you seem a bit of a speedster to me fastest I’ve done a 10k is 1 hour 2 mins.

I think it is just ace to get round and enjoy.  My days of PB's are well behind me.  Although I do work to times, try to beat times etc.  I'd be happy with a 2.14 half. 

*Humblebrag alert* 

I had some running goals as a younger man - sub 40 10K - did that in 2008 in NZ, a 1.30 half, did that in Brum in 2010 and a sub 4 hour marathon, 3.45 in Nottingham 2009.  the only thing i never did I wanted to do was an iron man - swimming.  I am an appalling swimmer.

I just like to get out now, go as fast as i can and enjoy what is going on around me while listening to music.  The feeling after and the sleep are wonderful. 

I easily fall out of the habit though, for months.  It seems to be feast or famine.

Aim Low and miss...

Just got in, another two miles. Actually enjoyed this one. Running on grass.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

You set of not rights

Travis Bickle wrote:

It's the future - trails and grass.   I do it all year round.  I have this big fuck off head torch for night trail running.  It's ace.

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

It's the future - trails and grass.   I do it all year round.  I have this big fuck off head torch for night trail running.  It's ace.

In my own completely unscientific way I figured grass etc would be easier on my bad back and knees. So far, so good. More fun as well. Some great paths to do round us when I get fitter. Will help with the MTBing as well. Me and the pal I ride a lot with have noticed we've struggled more this year.

Done two more this week. Trying to do every other day.

Try and do 5k park run every Saturday morning. That, combined with TKD twice a week and JIu Jitsu after park run is keeping me fitter than I've been for about 20 years.

It's funny, but the prospect of going for a run just 6 months ago filled me with dread, now I almost look forward to it and will be looking at taking part in some charity runs from now on, too.

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

I ride at weekends so don't reckon I'll be doing much running. I have to ferry the kids to swimming etc on Saturday mornings. But I am finding it a quick and easy way to get out and get some decent exercise done. That's the appeal.
Looked at some Ascis Gel Venture shoes going cheap. Anyone know if they're any good? Going to try and avoid running on pavements as much as I can. Should be able to run almost entirely on grass and trials.

Travis Bickle wrote:

I ride at weekends so don't reckon I'll be doing much running. I have to ferry the kids to swimming etc on Saturday mornings. But I am finding it a quick and easy way to get out and get some decent exercise done. That's the appeal.
Looked at some Ascis Gel Venture shoes going cheap. Anyone know if they're any good? Going to try and avoid running on pavements as much as I can. Should be able to run almost entirely on grass and trials.

Asics are always a fantastic shoe, you can't go wrong with them. This Swiss brand is big in Japan right now too, you likely already have them in Engrand.

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/?utm_e … gle.com%2F

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Did 5k park run in 29.4 today, which I would normally be pleased with except I did it in 29.3 last week!

Still, I'm consistently under 30 mins now and moving in the right direction (forward).

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!