Topic: My new favourite shop

...is a Polish deli. Five minutes walk away. Been in a couple of times, lovely little shop, plenty of time and effort spent making it look nice. Probably been open a year or so. I don't really know what's what so keep buying this ace salami that they cut on a big slicer. Not big on sweet stuff but today bought a big slab of this heavy apple cake. Had a little bit at home, bloody gorgeous. There's all these other things that have which I've no idea what they are but I'm going to keep trying over the next few visits. They also sell ale and vodka, schnapps etc if that's your tipple. I like supporting small businesses too. Fuck Brexit.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Re: My new favourite shop

I've got one round the corner from me. Great meat counter. Smoked pork belly is ace. They do really good bread too. Loads better than supermarket own brand, but at a similar price.
Serious biscuits too, Jercwica or something :-)

Nembutal numbs it all
But I prefer… alcohol!

Harvest wrote:

...is a Polish deli. Five minutes walk away. Been in a couple of times, lovely little shop, plenty of time and effort spent making it look nice. Probably been open a year or so. I don't really know what's what so keep buying this ace salami that they cut on a big slicer. Not big on sweet stuff but today bought a big slab of this heavy apple cake. Had a little bit at home, bloody gorgeous. There's all these other things that have which I've no idea what they are but I'm going to keep trying over the next few visits. They also sell ale and vodka, schnapps etc if that's your tipple. I like supporting small businesses too. Fuck Brexit.

Sounds lovely harvest but the flip side of the coin for others is horrendous http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-39427982

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

hendersonjones wrote:
Harvest wrote:

Sounds lovely harvest but the flip side of the coin for others is horrendous http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-39427982

Depressing read HJ.  The companies named may as well have been Monty Burns Energy Co Inc. 

However I do love a good deli so I'm somewhat conflicted.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

I'm missing the point here HJ.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

There would have been more protesters if loads of them weren't sat at home enjoying kiełbasa wędzona and Tyskie instead?

As kids my Mum took us to Warsaw stores in Chapel Town and anither one on Roundhay Road. Highlight of my trip was the Kabanos sausages.

Seems to me things change but remain the same, the original Polish/East Europeans were from the war where as the new influx are economic.

I used to love this country but I dont love all this hatred of people who are not from it. Its ugly, narrow minded, unfair and just not cool.

I see the hatred and ignorant opinions of folks splattered across facebook and it makes me like this country less. Seriously considering fucking it off and going to live abroad.

hendersonjones wrote:
Harvest wrote:

Ha! Fucking ironic that there's a link to an article about Basil Fawlty in the right navbar of that

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

placidcasual wrote:

As kids my Mum took us to Warsaw stores in Chapel Town and anither one on Roundhay Road. Highlight of my trip was the Kabanos sausages.

Seems to me things change but remain the same, the original Polish/East Europeans were from the war where as the new influx are economic.

I used to love this country but I dont love all this hatred of people who are not from it. Its ugly, narrow minded, unfair and just not cool.

I see the hatred and ignorant opinions of folks splattered across facebook and it makes me like this country less. Seriously considering fucking it off and going to live abroad.

Used to go to the market with my grandad.  Kabanos from continental shop or maryland chicken from game row.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Thu 30 Mar 2017 6:53 am)

My barber off Burley Road, when I was a kid, lovely old Polish bloke. I suppose some poor British barber was kicking his heels outside the unemployment office because of the likes of me. I feel bad now.

Great Polish deli top of my street, real baked ham like when I were a lad, not the plastic wet stuff. Sure Trump will see em closed and deported before long

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/images/online_exhibitions/303-Sqn-maskedLG.jpg

Love this photo. 303.

That photo reminded me, the two assassins of Reinhard Heydrich in the Czech Republic were both Polish, and sent and equipped by the British. They got the job done despite the British made guns jamming on them.. Great book if anyone hasn't read it.

On top of that, my grandad used to work in a machine shop in Shipley and his colleague 'Polish Joe' used to fix our watches for us. Had a soft spot for them ever since.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Harvest wrote:

The point being , the vast majority who come over are exploited within the work place , my point is not about hating our European neighbours but hilighting the fact that large company's and firms have fucked them over

Last edited by hendersonjones (Thu 30 Mar 2017 6:05 am)

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

Mitaman wrote:

That photo reminded me, the two assassins of Reinhard Heydrich in the Czech Republic were both Polish, and sent and equipped by the British. They got the job done despite the British made guns jamming on them.. Great book if anyone hasn't read it.

On top of that, my grandad used to work in a machine shop in Shipley and his colleague 'Polish Joe' used to fix our watches for us. Had a soft spot for them ever since.

They were Czechs.  Well, one was a Czech, the other was a Slovak.

"We are The Fall"

hendersonjones wrote:
Harvest wrote:

The point being , the vast majority who come over are exploited within the work place , my point is not about hating our European neighbours but hilighting the fact that large company's and firms have fucked them over

Yes - and when the companies are hauled up on it they then tell us they can't make a fucking living!  My arse - pay a fair wage and guess what, lower yer expectations on your profits you greedy fucking cunts.

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:
Harvest wrote:

Yes - and when the companies are hauled up on it they then tell us they can't make a fucking living!  My arse - pay a fair wage and guess what, lower yer expectations on your profits you greedy fucking cunts.

Hear hear.

The board always keep their S-Class Mercs right up to the day of liquidation.....and often beyond.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

danpiesley wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:
Harvest wrote:

Both good points.

Infinite growth is not sustainable

I only know two Polish people. Both of them get paid the same as everybody else in the workplace and do a great job. Can understand the problem of undercutting in some trades though. Shite situation - race to the bottom.

I feel for the Polish people I know. Both of them really sound and and settled in this country with kids. Shitting it now not knowing what's gonna happen in two years and whether they will have to up sticks or whether they even want to stay given some of the snidey comments they've been getting since June.

Got nowt but love for the Polish.  Used to drink in the nearby Polish club in the 80s and 90s.  There was always old ex RAF geezers in there willing to share tales of Nazi killing in return for a drink.

People are Twats