Topic: The La’s to release 1987 demos on CD/vinyl

Viper CD/LP/DL124   www.the-viper-label.co.uk 
To celebrate the 30th anniversary of The La’s pivotal year, The Viper Label is pleased to release The La’s 1987.  The band had already built up a fierce reputation during the two previous years taking Liverpool by storm but by the start of 1987 the band had a new line up and practice room- an old Stables next to Strawberry Fields, in which they could rehearse every day working on new songs and playing them later that same evening! It was an extremely creative time in which La’s classics:
There She Goes, Timeless Melody & Way Out  were written and the standard La’s set,  starting with Son of a Gun and ending with Looking Glass was formulated – eventually securing them a major recording contract and exposing them to the wider World.
Featured on this album are the legendary recordings from the Flying Picket (Trade Union Centre Venue- recorded on Pete Townsend old mixing desk) plus recordings made in Echo & the Bunnymen’s studio at the behest of  the late Pete De Freitas who supervised over the session with ‘fifth’ Bunnyman the late Jake Brockman, also featured are outtakes from the Stables rehearsals and ‘live’ rarities.
This album is a must not just for La’s completists but for fans the world over and reveals a fresh and fertile period when the band were still white hot.
NOTE: In conjunction with it’s release, The Viper Label/ Redhouse Originals is also pleased to present an Photography exhibition of recently discovered La’s photos taken by  photographer Jake Summerton during 1987.
The Florrie, Liverpool 14th Sept – 7th Oct.
Redhouse Originals Gallery, Harrogate 14th Oct – 28th Oct.

Re: The La’s to release 1987 demos on CD/vinyl

I always thought that the LAs There She Goes was a rip off of Orm and Cheep.

Maybe I used to smoke too much.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Dead Horse Recordings presents...

Haven't they been released before? Many times?

There's live at the picket stuff on that "callin all" plus a load of demos from 87. The viper label is mike badger and Paul hemmings int it? Pure barrel scraping by the sounds of it. That bbc sessions album is the best thing I've heard from them other than the album. Wish mavers would record summat new. The fanny.

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

There's live at the picket stuff on that "callin all" plus a load of demos from 87. The viper label is mike badger and Paul hemmings int it? Pure barrel scraping by the sounds of it. That bbc sessions album is the best thing I've heard from them other than the album. Wish mavers would record summat new. The fanny.

He's a proper fanny Fuzzy.

Think he prefers the myth to reality doesn't he?

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

That's all he's got, because he's got nothing decent left in the locker. Whether that's due to drugs, mental problems or being a perfectionist, or a mixture of all three. They played the same set from the mid 80's to the early 90's. Same as the stone roses, same as any band that has 10 years to nail a debut and then 2 years to follow it up, and can't. John Power should've used the good 4 tunes on the 1st cast album for the 2nd La's album. Liverpool bands at like argentinian footballers being compared to maradona, as soon as they're referred to as the 'next beatles' they're finished. I know oasis doesn't catch many fans on here, but at least the band had a work ethic.

The older I get the more I appreciate/marvel at the likes of the beatles, the doors, etc. Prodigious output, rolling out albums at the rate of six every four years.

Damn straight that. I can't imagine Bowie going "Oh it doesn't sound right, you can't hear the colour of the sound! We need to tune our guitars to the hum of the fridge". And even if he did Visconti would have just said "Don't worry about that lad, have another stripe of lemmo and I'll add that in later" and that would have been the end of it.

Misura wrote:
fuzzy dunlop wrote:

That's all he's got, because he's got nothing decent left in the locker. Whether that's due to drugs, mental problems or being a perfectionist, or a mixture of all three. They played the same set from the mid 80's to the early 90's. Same as the stone roses, same as any band that has 10 years to nail a debut and then 2 years to follow it up, and can't. John Power should've used the good 4 tunes on the 1st cast album for the 2nd La's album. Liverpool bands at like argentinian footballers being compared to maradona, as soon as they're referred to as the 'next beatles' they're finished. I know oasis doesn't catch many fans on here, but at least the band had a work ethic.

The older I get the more I appreciate/marvel at the likes of the beatles, the doors, etc. Prodigious output, rolling out albums at the rate of six every four years.

I've been running to Definitely Maybe most days of late. Its a great album, raw, youthful, Liam sneering, big guitars and definitely stands the test of time. I reckon most on here like it, even begrudgingly. most of the dislike/ animosity stems from the fact that after Whats the Story it all sounded the same and  it was all about them, their soccer mom birds, fake fights and  'trainer' collections.
Cant fault them on their work ethic for sure,

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Sun 30 Jul 2017 1:10 pm)

Take off hosers ...

One minute you're on top of your game, the next you're giving nazi salutes at victoria station. Sounds like leeds between '74 and '88 wink

Not enough 60's dust on the amps was the probem wasn't it? Have you seen that japanese video where his band mates are trying to tell him he's got gack around his snozzle, as he's spouting off? Just about sums the whole sorry mess up.

The mythologising of Mavers is like the mythologising of Syd Barrett. He was briefly cool, but ended up dosing himself into insanity, shaving his eyebrows, eating himself to diabetes and living with his elderly mother whilst painting all his funiture funny colours. I'd much rather have been any of the other four; less edgy, but with a few million in an off shore bank account and a villa on mustique. Although not wanting a step son that hangs off the cenotaph.

Last edited by Misura (Sun 30 Jul 2017 1:19 pm)

This interview? He seems to make complete sense to me  smile

I think its good to have people around like that. Julian Cope goes on about meeting Thor when he was off his cake on Salvia. The key difference is output int it. You've got to produce and get it out there or you're not different from the characters who give sermons to pigeons in the park and spend most days doing the 'spoons to ladbookes shuffle.

Loved that album. Hardly play it these days. Maybe Mavers is just happy living off the royalties from There She Goes? Maybe what he wants isn't what other pop stars want.
Oasis. Love their stuff. Not just the first two albums, big fan of Don't Believe The Truth and Dig Out Your Soul. Liam's a tit or maybe he's just playing a part, I don't know and I don't really care, I'm not looking to go for a pint with him. Noel, I love his first album, the second one not so much.

Whatever they do or don't do in the future, they've all done more than I ever will, brought a bit of joy and happiness to the world, got off their arses,  left their mark.

Must be 20 years since I played that album.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

He's got fuck all left in the tank. He's frightened to death of releasing an 'All for one'. Although I have previously thought what Cuts said about the royalties is a contributory factor.  If he's picking up a couple of dinar every time 'There she goes' is played on the wireless around the globe then why bother putting yourself through all that hassle? I still listen to the La's most weeks.

Oasis were smart. That first LP was a blinder. Just what British music required at the time. They tailed off after the second LP for me though. I like Liam; yes he's a buffoon, but an entertaining one nonetheless.

Some of those unreleased songs are easily as good as anything on the album. "Human Race" and "Rain Dance" are superb. That Kitchen Tapes used to be on repeat in my house. I think they had something very very special. I don't believe he's run out of steam, I just think he's content to pick up his quarterly PRS and sit round his house strumming. Fair play to the fella.

Misura wrote:

One minute you're on top of your game, the next you're giving nazi salutes at victoria station. Sounds like leeds between '74 and '88 wink

Not enough 60's dust on the amps was the probem wasn't it? Have you seen that japanese video where his band mates are trying to tell him he's got gack around his snozzle, as he's spouting off? Just about sums the whole sorry mess up.

The mythologising of Mavers is like the mythologising of Syd Barrett. He was briefly cool, but ended up dosing himself into insanity, shaving his eyebrows, eating himself to diabetes and living with his elderly mother whilst painting all his funiture funny colours. I'd much rather have been any of the other four; less edgy, but with a few million in an off shore bank account and a villa on mustique. Although not wanting a step son that hangs off the cenotaph.

Until there's a 1960,s untouched recording studio locked up some where ready for the valves to start flowing again it won't happen , wasn't it recorded at pete Townsend recording studio ? or am I thinking of the stairs ?
Throw in shacks waterpistol which should of been released at this time the real people the stairs Top and the mancs should of been blown apart

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

Lee seems to have changed his barber to Ian Beale's.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTmHeVGWkAEMiqH.jpg:large

Christ he looks terrible. I like the comment about being in Pink Floyd rather than Syd Barrett.

I havent listened to the album for ages. The bbc tapes are better.

Mick Head pisses all over Mavers for me. I used to love all that cosmic scouse stuff. What aload of bollocks.

I like Noel & Liam as characters, but i have lost interest in their music.

I am just a common breed