Topic: A crafty cigarette

Just about to start this by the pool.

Tales of a teenage mod, a mischievous youth who discovers the jam.

Probably will be a bit like reading my own early life story I'm thinking

Re: A crafty cigarette

Just Amazoned it on your recommendation.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Three chapters in  and it is just how my discovery of the jam was and the times at school etc. Starts off at the silver jubilee. Really enjoying it; remembering how I completely absorbed the lyrics of the jam and how .much that band meant to me. Completely shaped me and my outlook and attitude..

scootay wrote:

Three chapters in  and it is just how my discovery of the jam was and the times at school etc. Starts off at the silver jubilee. Really enjoying it; remembering how I completely absorbed the lyrics of the jam and how .much that band meant to me. Completely shaped me and my outlook and attitude..

Us post-punk kids lapped it all up  iliked all the Mod revival stuff me.  Big Secret Affair fan.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
scootay wrote:

Us post-punk kids lapped it all up  iliked all the Mod revival stuff me.  Big Secret Affair fan.

Same here Reggie.  Secret affair, the chords, purple hearts, squire, ..so many bands I read about but couldn't find the music.

I ordered glory boys in wh smiths in Bradford when they used to sell records.. I went in every Saturday for months and asked if it had come in yet and it never did.. I became obsessed with the Saturday girl who worked there and secretly hoped it wouldn't come in just so I could ask her every week. We used to chat and I fancied her like fuck but daren't ask her out.. she was into bob dylan and I pretended to take interest.. loved a but of Bob dylan but he was way past it... this was the time of the mods and we were fuckin ace

Oh yeah, and then we would eat upstairs in the light a bite, deliriously happy that it was mentioned in Saturday's kids

scootay wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
scootay wrote:

Same here Reggie.  Secret affair, the chords, purple hearts, squire, ..so many bands I read about but couldn't find the music.

I ordered glory boys in wh smiths in Bradford when they used to sell records.. I went in every Saturday for months and asked if it had come in yet and it never did.. I became obsessed with the Saturday girl who worked there and secretly hoped it wouldn't come in just so I could ask her every week. We used to chat and I fancied her like fuck but daren't ask her out.. she was into bob dylan and I pretended to take interest.. loved a but of Bob dylan but he was way past it... this was the time of the mods and we were fuckin ace

Yeah.  Everywhere sold records in them days.  Downstairs in our old Morrisons, local offies ex-jukebox ones, I bought a load of them.  Poison Ivy by Lambrettas funnily enough.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Tue 15 Aug 2017 3:13 pm)

You'll have bought this Scoots...
http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0001/612/MI0001612486.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Our kid ordered it from the record shop in Headingley that nobody can remember the name of. Imagine kids today knowing we had to 'order' records.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0001/612/MI0001612486.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Our kid ordered it from the record shop in Headingley that nobody can remember the name of. Imagine kids today knowing we had to 'order' records.....

When I eventually got glory boys, from woods I think. It had the inserts and one was the advert for mods mayday79. Fuck me I was obsessed at trying to track that down too... it had some mad pull on me. Like the mod holy grail....pretty sure it was mid 80s when I eventually got it..

As I remember it's a bit shit but it's still got a place in my heart..

scootay wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

When I eventually got glory boys, from woods I think. It had the inserts and one was the advert for mods mayday79. Fuck me I was obsessed at trying to track that down too... it had some mad pull on me. Like the mod holy grail....pretty sure it was mid 80s when I eventually got it..

That takes me back. Reminds me of Dance Craze when the ska stuff came in.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
scootay wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

I have this on vinyl, and yes it is a bit shit, not the bands it's the sound quality, recorded in some pub if I remember. The first Chords album is quality, came with a free single as well !

Billy Hunt Billy Hunt Billy Billy Beleive!

Revieswhites wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
scootay wrote:

I have this on vinyl, and yes it is a bit shit, not the bands it's the sound quality, recorded in some pub if I remember. The first Chords album is quality, came with a free single as well !

I have the first chords album with the free single and I have all the chords 7" singles.. Really loved them.. I have a pretty impressive mod revival collection. Not much I don't have, collected it over the years.. all the records and bands I used to read about but couldn't get owt by them I eventually bought at record fairs. Purple hearts first album is good too.

Later on, I was in a record shop in Morecambe and bought the stranglers  album dreamtime and spotted an album called the countdown compilation.. bought that and loved it.. that was my introduction to makin time and the gents etc... then that got me in to the prisoners...

And the prisoners are fuckin ace

Got CD for the car with loads of revival stuff on it.

It was recorded at The Bridge House in Canning Town. You can hear this playing between tracks...

Was on Bridge House Records from memory....the shit you remember....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Written by Soul Matteo, once of this manor. Read it a year or so ago on a flight, perfect for holidays.

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

I remember very clearly getting asked whether I was a mod or rocker on a climbing frame at school and thinking "Oh I don't know, I'll ask my mum" like it was something like being a catholic.

I was a closet Jam fan initially. When I was 8 or 9 I used to listen to my mum's 50s rock and roll 45s. All the standard Eddie Cochrane, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis of course etc etc. I loved it. My older brother who was a massive Jam fan said I wasn't allowed to listen to his records cos I was a "greasy rocker". I used to listen to All Mod Cons and Setting Sons loads when he wasn't in. Like my mums records, they also sounded ace to my ears just different. I "came out" eventually and was ordering bowling shoes from Melandi on Carnaby street before long. Funny times. Ace times.

I ordered the book for an upcoming week away with the lads playing golf and eating/drinking good food/wine

Like most books I take away it will come back untouched and I'll read it over a period of 3 months via a snatched 10 minutes browse here and there

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Come on Scootay...

2+1

smile http://www.onemickjones.com/forum/viewt … p?id=25373

Yeah, but how many bloody threads were there about Coming Out As A Bowie Fan in Leeds, Yorkshire England? Eh? Thousands.

2+1

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

I remember very clearly getting asked whether I was a mod or rocker on a climbing frame at school and thinking "Oh I don't know, I'll ask my mum" like it was something like being a catholic.

Sat on a sunbed with earphones on and must have guffawed loudly at that as about eight people looked up.

Site stalwart.

fulmine wrote:

Yeah, but how many bloody threads were there about Coming Out As A Bowie Fan in Leeds, Yorkshire England? Eh? Thousands.

Who wrote that then?

Sounds like he has his PR down to a tee

smile

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

He'll be on here soon. I can feel it.

2+1

fulmine wrote:

Come on Scootay...

Just ace fulmine or what

Think I once heard Steve lamacq say the last fourfathers is one of his favourite of all time