Topic: Shapes of things

Just before Christmas 97 I bought this shirt at Sarah Coggles in York. It was some Italian make that I'd never seen before or since. I can remember it was late night shopping and after the purchase I met up with the two girls I shared a house with, sat in the boozer by the fire and got hammered.

This shirt was dark, inky blue and I can still remember that it cost £57. I didn't buy many £57 shirts then, or indeed now but I loved it. The material was really wierd, cotton but something else mixed in and it barely creased. It looked cock on. Saw me through that Christmas, subsequent Christmases and countless nights out and holidays. Because of its anti-crease properties you could take it anywhere and it always looked pristine. The second button down wasn't too high or too low, it sat just right. On and off I got a good 11 years out of it and must have last worn it about 10 or so years ago and it's been in the wardrobe ever since.

Had a sort out recently. Found the old go to garment. Fuck me! Did I really wear that??? The cut of the thing. Like a smock. Flappy arms like something Lord Byron would don whilst fannying around Greece. It looked ace once but seems to have doubled in size. Everything now is tailored and slim and trim. This just seems so out of place but once looked so in place.

We've parted ways, it's in the charity bag now. It'll be snapped up by some chunky fucker and it'll fit him like a glove. Loved that shirt, but I've moved on, I've changed.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Re: Shapes of things

Got quite giddy when there was mention of getting pissed with 2 girls you lived with!
Good tale but not as sordid as it threatened to be!

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

I will not wear trainers ever again.

Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Got quite giddy when there was mention of getting pissed with 2 girls you lived with!
Good tale but not as sordid as it threatened to be!

In the last 20 years one of those girls spent that much time in my wank bank I had to open another branch.

Expanding Man wrote:

Hope you've stocked up on shoe dye then!

I first heard Cedar Rooms by Doves in the upstairs room of Sarah Coggles. Remember the feel and play of the wood floorboards as the sound echoed round the empty room.

Lived not far from there for a bit. Best purchase from there was a green Marc O'Polo t-shirt that made me look like a 1970s St Etienne midfielder.

Expanding Man wrote:

Not disagreeing, though I'll wear them till the day i die, but why ?

Take off hosers ...

Coggles in York was a good shop. Got quite a bit from there when I lived in Tad. Still got a grey, hooded, Hope and Glory jacket that I bought from there in 99 for £110. Tried it on recently and noticed the sleeves are quite flared. Not like massive wizard's sleeves but more boot cut if you wore boots on yer hands.

Now I'm thinking about the dynamics of pantomime horses and cows and whether people have their hands on the floor or whether its just two pairs of feet on the floor when inside the costume.

Imagine having "back end of Daisy (pantomime cow)" on your portfolio if you were an actor and comparing what you'd hoped and dreamed for when you were at drama school to your actual real life accomplishments.

Drifting a bit today. Knackered I am. Sorry.

Hope and Glory, forgot about them. Had a couple of their shirts.

Expanding Man wrote:

I tried to buy some recently. Genuinely didn't see a single pair I wanted. Not giving up on them, just fed up of the usual Adidas reissues and running shoes that look like bad socks glued onto a buoyancy aid.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:
Expanding Man wrote:

I tried to buy some recently. Genuinely didn't see a single pair I wanted. Not giving up on them, just fed up of the usual Adidas reissues and running shoes that look like bad socks glued onto a buoyancy aid.....

big_smile

Billy Hunt Billy Hunt Billy Billy Beleive!

Harvest wrote:

Used to love hope and glory label... had plenty of it and still have two jumpers

scootay wrote:
Harvest wrote:

Used to love hope and glory label... had plenty of it and still have two jumpers

I preferred their earlier Land Of stuff before they rebranded.

Old Wharfedaler wrote:
scootay wrote:
Harvest wrote:

I nearly believed you then.

Used to buy hope and glory in a Bradford shop called annex opposite hargreaves

With all due respect big_smile
Hope and Glory was a knock off of Duffer of St George. Still one of my all time favourite brands.

Take off hosers ...

Coggles had another little shop across the road, they did all the Duffer stuff.

Harvest wrote:

Coggles had another little shop across the road, they did all the Duffer stuff.

remember it well. Bert and Everton had a great selection at Hip

Take off hosers ...

scootay wrote:
Old Wharfedaler wrote:
scootay wrote:

Hargreaves was ace.

Toronto Ted wrote:

With all due respect big_smile
Hope and Glory was a knock off of Duffer of St George. Still one of my all time favourite brands.

Frickin love Duffer!

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02902/Duffer-founders_2902802c.jpg

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

Re: the trainers thing, I bought a pair of off-white Pro Keds the other day. Which are nice.

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

Still like wearing Stan Smiths

Take off hosers ...

I had some ace duffer tops from hip. Mau mau also. T-shirts that lasted about ten years.

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

I had some ace duffer tops from hip. Mau mau also. T-shirts that lasted about ten years.

Mau Mau was great

Take off hosers ...

Old Wharfedaler wrote:
scootay wrote:
Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Hargreaves was ace.

Yeah it was