Topic: portsmouth to santander

Has anyone done this Brittany ferries crossing any experiences would be appreciated , thanks .

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

Re: portsmouth to santander

I have all be it 20 years ago. Was like a mill pond. Boat was packed full of surfers going to Biarritz, Galcia and northern Portugal. A lot of pissed teenagers. Seemed a long trip from
Memory. Expensive as well.

Popular with cycling tourers. I worked with an old fellow who says it is like a mini cruise. Yes the sea is meant flat as a pancake

I am just a common breed

Almost.  Did the Portsmouth to Bilboa ferry on the "Pride of Bilboa".  Turned out we got to the Bay of Biscay just as an October storm hit.  There was a cinema and me and my then girlfriend were the only ones in it that night.  The free hanging screen was swinging forward and backwards comically all the way through the film.  Zig-zagged our way to a bar afterwards and it was also nearly empty.  Turns out most of the passengers and half the crew were locked away sea sick.  Got about 2 hours shopping in Bilboa during the turnaround and then a day back to Portsmouth.

To be honest it was quite a fun use of 3 days.  I'd do it again but the missus won't get on a boat.

People are Twats

Not even yours with your wet wipe and paper towel stash at arm's length?

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Anybody on that West Ham/ Manchester United ferry?

Or the Titanic?

Mate does it every year with his wife n kids (3) , then drives to Mijas , swears by it

I looked at Portsmouth to Caen as an alternative to Dover / Calais and fuck me its expensive.  I'd rather drive the extra yards.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Purely looking at it as an alternative to flying down to the Algarve next year due to being there for four weeks .
Ferry is £1000 inc cabins return plus 260 miles Leeds to Portsmouth , then 650 miles Santander to Faro , plus road tolls , 2000 mile car trip . Three days down three back up
Flying if i book now is around £950 return for me wife and daughter , then around £550 for a hire car which i hardly use . The flight takes approx 2hours 45mins

Cost wise theres nothing between them , the only advantage i can see is having your own car abroad for your jollys .

I do like a bit of an adventure and the ferry is looking favourite at the moment

Last edited by hendersonjones (Mon 28 Aug 2017 8:15 am)

hendersonjones wrote:

Purely looking at it as an alternative to flying down to the Algarve next year due to being there for four weeks .
Ferry is £1000 inc cabins return plus 260 miles Leeds to Portsmouth , then 650 miles Santander to Faro , plus road tolls , 2000 mile car trip . Three days down three back up
Flying if i book now is around £950 return for me wife and daughter , then around £550 for a hire car which i hardly use . The flight takes approx 2hours 45mins

Cost wise theres nothing between them , the only advantage i can see is having your own car abroad for your jollys .

I do like a bit of an adventure and the ferry is looking favourite at the moment

Given your driving experiences recently, surely it's better to hand back a battered wreck rather having to keep it?

I have visions of you limping back into Leeds in something that looks like Jake and Elwood's!

Odd Job wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:

Given your driving experiences recently, surely it's better to hand back a battered wreck rather having to keep it?

I have visions of you limping back into Leeds in something that looks like Jake and Elwood's!

Just had the all clear with the hire car from this year , i have an account with algarvedrive/yorcar logged in saturday morning to see that the hire had been cleared with no faults ? , passenger side lower door sill completely fucked crushed in and deeply scratched .

Got a mate who does the Santander run to the Algarve regular HJ and he swears by it.
He has a motor home so makes sense I suppose.
We met him for a guzzle in Portimao whilst over there in July,he'd even brought his Jack Russell with him,which I didn't realise you could do these days.

We're heading back to Alvor a week Saturday for 10 days.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Got a mate who does the Santander run to the Algarve regular HJ and he swears by it.
We met him for a guzzle in Portimao whilst over there in July,he'd even brought his Jack Russell with him,which I didn't realise you could do these days.

Enjoy you jammy sod , do you ever go over to the eastside ? We noticed this summer that Fuseta has a huge campsite right at the front full of english motorhomes , Moncarapacho has a campsite also just out of town

hendersonjones wrote:
Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Enjoy you jammy sod , do you ever go over to the eastside ? We noticed this summer that Fuseta has a huge campsite right at the front full of english motorhomes , Moncarapacho has a campsite also just out of town

Not ventured too Far East to be honest,prefer the other way.
Just got 2 years left on our timeshare in Alvor so after that we're contemplating further afield.
Quite like the idea of hiring a motor home and doing the whole of the western Algarve coast over a 3/4 week period (work permitting)....been told about some fabulous unspoilt beaches and hidden gems on that side

Old Wharfedaler wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:
Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Not ventured too Far East to be honest,prefer the other way.
Just got 2 years left on our timeshare in Alvor so after that we're contemplating further afield.
Quite like the idea of hiring a motor home and doing the whole of the western Algarve coast over a 3/4 week period (work permitting)....been told about some fabulous unspoilt beaches and hidden gems on that side

Yeah I've been up that side also Aljezur , Vale da telha , Arrifana , full of kids camping on beaches doing bbq,s and windsurfing the atlantic coast by day , the best place we found was Monte clerigo great fishing village and beach .

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ed/7f/69/ed7f … travel.jpg

Last edited by hendersonjones (Mon 28 Aug 2017 11:08 am)

Looks ace that mate.
11 days and counting!