Topic: World Cup Play Offs draw

Northern Ireland v Switzerland
Denmark v Republic of Ireland
Croatia v Greece
Sweden v Italy

Could have been a lot worse for NI and I

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Re: World Cup Play Offs draw

I would have loved it, loved it, if it had been an open draw. Northern Ireland v Republic of Ireland. James Joseph McClean would've spontaneously combusted if he'd scored.

What is the difference between pop and rock n' roll? You might get fucked.

My colleague is Swiss and is reasonably happy with that draw. Should be two good games I reckon.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

It's a fucking disgrace that the Swiss are going to the Finals on the back of THAT penalty decision in the first leg.
Admittedly they were the better team over the two legs but that doesn't exonerate the ref in any way,shape or form.

Hope the Republic can go one better against the Danes.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Old Wharfedaler wrote:

It's a fucking disgrace that the Swiss are going to the Finals on the back of THAT penalty decision in the first leg.
Admittedly they were the better team over the two legs but that doesn't exonerate the ref in any way,shape or form.

Hope the Republic can go one better against the Danes.

Reminds me of that goal France v Rep of Ireland a few years back.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Italy out!
No Holland again too.
Strange times.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Panama qualified. Well funded team I expect... cool

A World Cup without Italy, 1st time in my lifetime and I’m getting on.
Holland are blaming English clubs for thier demise, taking the best of thier youngsters into the academies at city, Chelsea , Liverpool and Arsenal. With slim chances of first team football. Whereas if they stayed in Holland they’d be getting 1st division games at 16,17 or 18 .

To stand aside is to take sides.

Been rumblings in the Italian press about the alleged impact of foreign players on the national team for a while now.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Happens all over

Germany and Brazil (and possibly France) don't seem to get too hampered by it though?

We've (England) been moaning about it for years but it all comes down to the coaching and motivation in my eyes

I'm sure you saw the video on twitter where De Rossi is (allegedly) telling the Italian coach to stick a striker on as a sub and not him as they need to win not draw.........

Travis Bickle wrote:

Been rumblings in the Italian press about the alleged impact of foreign players on the national team for a while now.

The death of italian football is greatly exaggerated. They've still got a good selection of quality players. They were placed in a qualifying group with spain, so were always going to end up in the playoffs.

The italians have just come to the end of a cycle, and have been unwilling to change things until the wheels fell off. They seem to have a national suspicion of youth and take great pleasure at both national and international level of dragging player's careers out into their mid to late 30's. The team that they fielded in the 1st leg against sweden, had buffon (39), barzagli (36), bonucci (30), chiellini (33), de rossi (34), candreva (30) & parolo (32), managed by a 69 yr old. They have great young players that can & will hopefully step up. But it's as if this team had to fail before that could happen. The next italian national side will be made up of:

Donnarumma (18)
Romagnoli (22)
Rugani (23)
Belotti (23)
Bernardeschi (23)
Gagliardini (23)
Spinazzola (24)
Zappacosta (25)
Jorginho (25)
Verrati (25)
El Shaarawy (25)
Insigne (26)
Florenzi (26)
Immobile (27)

Last edited by Misura (Tue 14 Nov 2017 11:26 am)

Misura wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

The death of italian football is greatly exaggerated. They've still got a good selection of quality players. They were placed in a qualifying group with spain, so were always going to end up in the playoffs.

The italians have just come to the end of a cycle, and have been unwilling to change things until the wheels fell off. They seem to have a national suspicion of youth and take great pleasure at both national and international level of dragging player's careers out into their mid to late 30's. The team that they fielded in the 1st leg against sweden, had buffon (39), barzagli (36), bonucci (30), chiellini (33), de rossi (34), candreva (30) & parolo (32), managed by a 69 yr old. They have great young players that can & will hopefully step up. But it's as if this team had to fail before that could happen. The next italian national side will be made up of:

Donnarumma (18)
Romagnoli (22)
Rugani (23)
Belotti (23)
Bernardeschi (23)
Gagliardini (23)
Spinazzola (24)
Zappacosta (25)
Jorginho (25)
Verrati (25)
El Shaarawy (25)
Insigne (26)
Florenzi (26)
Immobile (27)

The best thing about that team is that their ages go up correspondingly with their team listing

Works well with my OCD

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
Misura wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Donnarumma (18)
Romagnoli (22)
Rugani (23)
Belotti (23)
Bernardeschi (23)
Gagliardini (23)
Spinazzola (24)
Zappacosta (25)
Jorginho (25)
Verrati (25)
El Shaarawy (25)
Insigne (26)
Florenzi (26)
Immobile (27)

The best thing about that team is that their ages go up correspondingly with their team listing

Works well with my OCD

I wanted them in alphabetic order.  Now I can't sleep.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Can we have filter and sort drop downs please?

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

space wrote:
Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
Misura wrote:

Donnarumma (18)
Romagnoli (22)
Rugani (23)
Belotti (23)
Bernardeschi (23)
Gagliardini (23)
Spinazzola (24)
Zappacosta (25)
Jorginho (25)
Verrati (25)
El Shaarawy (25)
Insigne (26)
Florenzi (26)
Immobile (27)

Works well with my OCD

I wanted them in alphabetic order.  Now I can't sleep.

Obviously my OCD is more number focused

Perhaps we could have a squad whose names spelled out "Italy's Golden Generation"?

But i doubt the ages would work quite so well then

Mind you,  the next coach can't do any worse.......

Harvest wrote:

Can we have filter and sort drop downs please?

And some conditional formatting too please

white dragon wrote:

A World Cup without Italy, 1st time in my lifetime and I’m getting on.
Holland are blaming English clubs for thier demise, taking the best of thier youngsters into the academies at city, Chelsea , Liverpool and Arsenal. With slim chances of first team football. Whereas if they stayed in Holland they’d be getting 1st division games at 16,17 or 18 .

Hmmm, again not 100% sure about their excuses. They've been on the slide for a while, they were shit in the euro qualifiers and were put in a tough group with france this time around, ending up finishing behind sweden on goal difference.

They've got some decent younger players coming through, and the dutch top division is a fairly young league. Ajax got to the europa league final last year with a very young team, consisting of different nationalities. The trouble is that the standard of the dutch league is poor below the top 3 teams, and players can't progress unless they leave. It's usually the case in the champions league that they don't get out of the group. Saying that ajax II are 2nd in the 2nd division, their u19's are top of the u19's and they're u19 cup winners. They continually produce excellent players.

Chelsea have a couple of dutch 17 yr olds in their youth set up who play regularly for chelsea youths & holland youths, and liverpool has an 18 yr old who turns out for their u23's. I'm not sure they're having their progression stalled.

Like Italy, they've just come to the end of a cycle, and players likes Robben, RvP, RvdV & Sneijder have been milked. They've suffered for the last few years with not having a top quality goalscorer. They've now got a decent set of u21's and young squad players & will be okay going forward.

de Ligt (18)
kluivert (18)
Fosu-Mensah (19)
van de beek (20)
de Jong (20)
Bazoer (21)
Ramselaar (21)
Zivkovic (21)
Ake (22)
Vilhena (22)
Hoedt (23)
Depay (23)
van Ginkel (24)

Last edited by Misura (Tue 14 Nov 2017 2:25 pm)

And can we have all prime numbers displayed in bold?

It's about 569 mins (give or take a few seconds) since someone scored a fucking goal in these play-off things. What an fucking advert for football they are. It would've been more entertaining if, by way of a public vote, a player was selected from each team to roshambo each other to find a winner. I would've paid good money, and i mean good money to see james mcclean and nicklas bendtner going at it until their testes were pulp.

Misura wrote:

It's about 569 mins (give or take a few seconds) since someone scored a fucking goal in these play-off things. What an fucking advert for football they are. It would've been more entertaining if, by way of a public vote, a player was selected from each team to roshambo each other to find a winner. I would've paid good money, and i mean good money to see james mcclean and nicklas bendtner going at it until their testes were pulp.

I had to Google Roshambo.......

Rock paper scissors left me a bit confused

Then I watched the You Tube video.....

Ouch!?!?!

What happens if in the group stage of the WC our group ends with 5 teams on 4 points each and no goals scored for or against?

Anyone know the odds?

space wrote:

What happens if in the group stage of the WC our group ends with 5 teams on 4 points each and no goals scored for or against?

Anyone know the odds?

There's a dance off.

Shame RoI didn't get through and I'm sure a lot of people will miss the pics of thousands of leprechaun clad footie fans dancing in fountains singing Molly Malone

They won't miss the football though.  Makes England look adventurous

Mol was going into meltdown on Twitter poor lad - he'd been predicting it for a few days previously.  I did try and cheer him up with reminders of good times in Germany and Czech Republic but I suspect it didn't work.......

I'm not doing a list for the irish. Unlike the netherlands & italy, the irish are sadly fucked.

Misura wrote:

I'm not doing a list for the irish. Unlike the netherlands & italy, the irish are sadly fucked.

You could make it up and give us the A-z and the right numbering?

I'll start you off

Alan Murphy (19)
Barry Murphy (20)
Cillian Murphy (21)
Darrach Murphy (22)