Topic: Tranmere away....

We walked past Nigel Blackwell on the way back to the car....

Right, that's my highlight out of the way.

First away game for the eldest.
They lost 4-2. Looked at one point like it would end up 9-2.
I'm beginning to see why so many of the die hards think that Heath, the manager, has reached his limit. They were second best for most of today. And never really looked like taking control. Heath doesn't seem to know his best 11 and his substitutions appear entirely random.
He's very much from the 'shout loudly and they'll get it' school. The sort fourth officials must fucking hate after about 10 minutes.

Tranmere are a Football League side in the wrong division. I reckon they could get promoted if they play like they did today. Norwood went off injured after 25 minutes. Thank god he did. He'd run Town ragged in the Cup and started where he left off. Cocky bastard but you know you'd love him if he was in your team. Gave Garner, Town's centre-half some stick after the first goal. Obviously something had gone on. Mottley-Henry (sounds like a kid's book) was good for them.

They were two up after nine minutes. A long day in prospect...
Town steadied things a little but they were second to almost everything.
Tranmere were fitter and quicker and seemed much more composed when they had the ball. I haven't rated Town's 10, Connor Oliver, since I started watching them and today showed why. He loses the ball so cheaply. You can't have your 'playmaker' doing that. Clarke replaced him and seemed to offer a bit more fight.

I still maintain that there's a half decent team in there somewhere for Halifax. Kosylo shows flashes of play worthy of League 1 or 2. My daughter's favourite, Josh McDonald, made a real difference when he came on. Classic winger play, taking the man on and whipping decent crosses in. Bloke behind us was saying that he'd heard Heath giving him the dog's abuse a couple of weeks ago. Exactly what a young and talented but nervous player doesn't need.

Off the pitch there were more firsts. She saw her first ejections ('I think they've had too much to drink Dad'). To be fair to the stewards and coppers, they had a refreshing attitude to it all. A lot of talking and having a laugh before they had to step in. I know football has changed but they weren't the usual hi-viz Hitlers you see at so many grounds, be it football, RL, cricket, whatever.
Town's 'Mob' were a sight to behold. Up there with the ugliest crew you'll ever see. They were loud and pissed and there was a fair few of them. Funny watching the 14-year olds in Stone Island and reissues. Not sure about them skinny jeans mind. Apparently Town have a few on banning orders although I guess you don't need to do much for one these days.
One other thing that was different was the amount of actual chanting. We sit in the main stand at home games so there's not really any singing around us. I flinched at the first 'Your support is fucking shit' but she smiled and reminded me that she hears worse from the year six boys.
Lovely moment when I caught her out of the corner of my eye joining in with a chorus of 'Come On Shaymen'.
She's definitely a fan. I had wondered whether this was all just about spending a day with Dad but she's a Town supporter. Knows the squad and is learning the game. Spotted an offside and called for a booking for diving (they did quite a bit of that). Nice to hear her moan 'they've got two drums and a trumpet Dad'.
All in all a great day out (she loved the Mersey Tunnel). I reckon Macclesfield will be the next away trip on Boxing Day.

The result was shit but she's ready for Woking at home on the 11th...
https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22852184_10155354568906725_919863812227410208_n.jpg?oh=2651f6311e2cbe328d1c2992759dae59&oe=5AA901C7
This was at 4-2 down....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Tranmere away....

Travis Bickle wrote:

We walked past Nigel Blackwell on the way back to the car....

Right, that's my highlight out of the way.

First away game for the eldest.
They lost 4-2. Looked at one point like it would end up 9-2.
I'm beginning to see why so many of the die hards think that Heath, the manager, has reached his limit. They were second best for most of today. And never really looked like taking control. Heath doesn't seem to know his best 11 and his substitutions appear entirely random.
He's very much from the 'shout loudly and they'll get it' school. The sort fourth officials must fucking hate after about 10 minutes.

Tranmere are a Football League side in the wrong division. I reckon they could get promoted if they play like they did today. Norwood went off injured after 25 minutes. Thank god he did. He'd run Town ragged in the Cup and started where he left off. Cocky bastard but you know you'd love him if he was in your team. Gave Garner, Town's centre-half some stick after the first goal. Obviously something had gone on. Mottley-Henry (sounds like a kid's book) was good for them.

They were two up after nine minutes. A long day in prospect...
Town steadied things a little but they were second to almost everything.
Tranmere were fitter and quicker and seemed much more composed when they had the ball. I haven't rated Town's 10, Connor Oliver, since I started watching them and today showed why. He loses the ball so cheaply. You can't have your 'playmaker' doing that. Clarke replaced him and seemed to offer a bit more fight.

I still maintain that there's a half decent team in there somewhere for Halifax. Kosylo shows flashes of play worthy of League 1 or 2. My daughter's favourite, Josh McDonald, made a real difference when he came on. Classic winger play, taking the man on and whipping decent crosses in. Bloke behind us was saying that he'd heard Heath giving him the dog's abuse a couple of weeks ago. Exactly what a young and talented but nervous player doesn't need.

Off the pitch there were more firsts. She saw her first ejections ('I think they've had too much to drink Dad'). To be fair to the stewards and coppers, they had a refreshing attitude to it all. A lot of talking and having a laugh before they had to step in. I know football has changed but they weren't the usual hi-viz Hitlers you see at so many grounds, be it football, RL, cricket, whatever.
Town's 'Mob' were a sight to behold. Up there with the ugliest crew you'll ever see. They were loud and pissed and there was a fair few of them. Funny watching the 14-year olds in Stone Island and reissues. Not sure about them skinny jeans mind. Apparently Town have a few on banning orders although I guess you don't need to do much for one these days.
One other thing that was different was the amount of actual chanting. We sit in the main stand at home games so there's not really any singing around us. I flinched at the first 'Your support is fucking shit' but she smiled and reminded me that she hears worse from the year six boys.
Lovely moment when I caught her out of the corner of my eye joining in with a chorus of 'Come On Shaymen'.
She's definitely a fan. I had wondered whether this was all just about spending a day with Dad but she's a Town supporter. Knows the squad and is learning the game. Spotted an offside and called for a booking for diving (they did quite a bit of that). Nice to hear her moan 'they've got two drums and a trumpet Dad'.
All in all a great day out (she loved the Mersey Tunnel). I reckon Macclesfield will be the next away trip on Boxing Day.

The result was shit but she's ready for Woking at home on the 11th...
https://scontent.flhr4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/22852184_10155354568906725_919863812227410208_n.jpg?oh=2651f6311e2cbe328d1c2992759dae59&oe=5AA901C7
This was at 4-2 down....

Look forward to these.  Always finish reading them with a smile and a sense of well being.  Cheers Trav.

Brilliant. Used to love taking my lad to the match before that wanker Allam put the price of his ticket up by about 450%.

Great tonic your posts Trav. Like Oddjob says, they leave you smiling.

Ace dat.
Reminds me of the last time I had a season ticket at Leeds which was O'Leary's last season before getting sacked.
The daughter was 11 and she'd been going with me from 7 onwards.
Loved taking her but with all the Bowyer/Woodgate stuff going off amongst other things,the atmosphere had become toxic.

She still has a keen interest despite other priorities these days but throughout those 4 years we probably bonded more than any other.

Enjoy Trav and keep the reports coming in.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Enjoy your reports , quite heartwarming.
When we opened the east stand , first season if you bought a season ticket, your children could have free ones. I got them for my 2 daughters. At the time they were 9 and 7 , following year it was £40 each for them . Had a good 2 years taking them . Because it was so inexpensive it didn’t matter if they couldn’t attend some games. They were there for the yeboha goal v Liverpool and when we stuffed man u on Xmas eve . Went to Wembley with me v villa. After the villa season I didn’t renew, I’d seen my arse with wilko.
Couple of years later I got devorsed and weekends with me we’d watch some Wrexham games . They loved the banter and the day out probably more than the football.
Enjoy these days mate .

Last edited by white dragon (Sun 29 Oct 2017 9:02 am)

To stand aside is to take sides.

Keep em coming Trav.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

I thought you'd be taller cool

Good stuff and ace picture.

Who do you think you are, Bremner?

I was wondering what you'd make of Town's travelling support.

Some of them make me wonder if the Missing Link had a Missing Link of it's own

Have you come across Double Denim Denis yet? Not sure if he's going at the moment as he was diagnosed with cancer a while back. You'll know who I mean if you see him.

Our kid's reminded me our cousin played for them...
http://c8.alamy.com/comp/HN62CF/mark-proctor-tranmere-rovers-fc-02-august-1993-HN62CF.jpg

The away fans were a sight to behold SL. A couple looked like a different species. There is a double denim bloke at The Shay, has a lot of England flag patches and the like on the jacket.
Bloke that runs our local Post Office was there. He told the Mrs they were setting off early to allow for 5 hours drinking before the match. He looked 'refreshed' when I saw him.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Double Denim Dennis....vaulting the hoardings...
http://www.theshaymen.net/ipb/uploads/monthly_2015_10/dennis_droylsden.jpg.944c0888a48c969e26a291fc791967ff.jpg