Topic: Shaymen v Woking

If a wet, Wednesday night in Stoke is a true test of footballer's mettle then a f***ing cold Saturday afternoon in Halifax might just be the one for 8-year old girls. If it is, she's passed. I say she passed because this was one of those games that frustrate the hell out of you if you follow a team. And could certainly test the new fan.

It was cold. Very cold. And there wasn't much on the pitch to heat things up.

There was to be a minute's silence before the game. No problem with that. She knows what Remembrance Sunday is all about and is off to the local service tomorrow with Cubs. We didn't get a minute's silence though. After an awkward 'has it started yet' period we then got the stadium announcement 'beeps' followed by a recording of someone reciting 'For the Fallen' and the last post. A recording that sounded like it was being played on a tape deck from the 70s. Whatever the merits of that, it was impeccably observed though.

We were later than usual getting in and some buggers were in our seats (they're not our seats, it's unreserved but we always sit in row M, 105 and 106). We ended up in 105 and 104 but when I went to get something to eat they moved down one as the row was filling up. I explained why I was moving next to him ('Dad, just move over, Dad, our seats, go on') and normal service was resumed. Turns out the bloke and his son are season ticket holders at the Dog Botherers. He'd been going for 20-years plus. When I said I thought they'd stay up he answered that it wouldn't bother him if they didn't. He was enjoying the experience and promotion had been great but he reckoned there wasn't much to enjoy watching them go away and put ten men behind the ball. They have a scheme for away tickets that mean they don't get to half the games they did (priority goes to those who are 'Tier 1', season ticket holder for 10 years plus, his lad hasn't had that so can't get tickets).

No drums in the crowd was a good start. Woking brought about 100 or so. They've nicked WBA's 'Boing, Boing' chant. Needs a bit more conviction boys. One thing that has struck me this season so far is how much the away fans seem to enjoy the day out. I suppose not being herded around by the coppers and being charged a fortune for the privilege helps. You've got to admire those that make the trip. The Dover Athletic lot still top that chart for me so far this year. Tuesday night game too.

On the pitch, Town had three loan signings making their home debuts (Batty had played against Tranmere, she very proudly told the bloke next to me that we'd gone and had seen his actual debut).

Early doors and the signs weren't good. Woking had the vast majority of possession in the first 20 minutes and it looked like a long, long day was on the cards.

The ball being needlessly given away. Again and again. A pass that's hit too long. An extra touch taken that isn't needed. Crosses that find the keeper. This had them all.

Denton (now officially 'Big Dents') had the best chance of the game. Came to him quickly but he should have buried it. The new signings seemed good. A bit more shape in defence. They've dropped to 15th so a point wasn't actually a bad result. Town were without Kosylo through injury and they really missed him. McDonald troubled them on a few occasions when he got the ball out of wide but he lives on the wing too much and needs to come looking infield a bit more. I don't know if Heath's told him to stay out there but he should have a go.

We've made good progress getting through the rules of the game, league structures etc. Today's topic was the 'fourth official' ('They should give him a go Dad, he can't be worse than this one'). She enjoys watching the managers giving them an ear-bashing.

I get the impression that, in his head, Woking's manager, Anthony Limbrick, is pitchside at the Camp Nou. He's very 'continental' in his touchline stalking and exaggerated gestures. Snappy dresser. Not for him the sky blue 'Jako' coats that all managers have (they have the sponsorship deal for all warm up kit, managers coats etc). He looked every inch the middle manager doing smart casual, pea coat and skinny chinos. She was more interested in his shoes ('he's going to slip over in them Dad'). Some of the backroom staff in this league are amazing. Woking had Dog The Bounty Hunter in their cohort today.

The final whistle was a bit of relief. Town had another good chance to score late on but you knew it wasn't going to happen.

Fast walk to the car and the heaters were on sharpish. No final score on the radio as she wanted to play Kings and Queens by 30 Seconds to Mars....again... and again....I blame her Mum!

As we were driving home she was checking the upcoming fixtures and reminded me I'd promised Macclesfield away on Boxing Day.

Bring on the wet Wednesdays.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Shaymen v Woking

You lucky man.

While we've got people who choose to post stuff like this OMJ will never die. NEVER!!!!

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Cheers Trav.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

You can probably tell how much I'm enjoying this season.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Great posts.. I went to Guiseley today on the back of the reports of Trav & Daughter's outings. Really enjoyed it despite the dour frenetic hoof ball. Great to see blokes with dogs, kids with club shirts, hats on etc. teenagers in the clone island tackle, tinny music system, raffle tickets at half time, travelling fans, pints in the club house, sending off, saved penalities, a late winner for Bromley:(

On International weekends a podcast I pay to subscribe to go to local games.

Always sound good and true and connected.

I was also at the Guiseley game today. I had fallen out of love with football many years ago, and was "groomed" back to watch a game a year ago. I've missed one home league game since.

It's an aggressive, dog-eat-dog world in the National League, with a whirlwind of comings and goings of playing, coaching and managerial staff. A league of 24, with 4 relegated keeps things keen.

Even keeping a close on the club and supporters' websites doesn't guarantee keeping up with things. A new bloke seemed to materialise from nowhere today - the magnificently named Alex-Ray Harvey, who I mentally rebadged as "Sensational". (One for you teenagers out there.)

Guiseley understanadably sacked their former manager about 8 games into the season. The new manager, Paul Cox (considered to be a "top man" at this level) has transformed the club, bringing in a host of new players, and the team has now gone full time. And he's brought in a load of new coaches. To paraphrase one wag, "we appear to now have more coaches than National Express".

Given the background of the new players and coaches, the word nepotism springs to mind. One also does have to wonder about the economics of it all - crowds of about 1000 paying £15 every fortnight to support a squad of 30 or so players, plus staff, and all the travelling expenses.

Today's game saw Guiseley's captain sent off after 2 minutes, but the resultant penalty was saved. The goalkeeper then saved another penalty with about 5 minutes left, only for Bromley to score deep into injury time. There is some hope when you feel robbed losing to a team towards the top of the table, rather than expecting it.

I appreciated TB's comment "I get the impression that, in his head, Woking's manager, Anthony Limbrick, is pitchside at the Camp Nou. He's very 'continental' in his touchline stalking and exaggerated gestures. Snappy dresser. Not for him the sky blue 'Jako' coats that all managers have (they have the sponsorship deal for all warm up kit, managers coats etc). He looked every inch the middle manager doing smart casual, pea coat and skinny chinos."

Limbrick's not the only one at this level who thinks he's dressing to impress the crowds at Girona rather than Guiseley.

Tolley, I thought they played well yesterday and were worth a point. Had some decent chances in the first half. The striker was clean through and blazed it wide when just needed to hit the target.

Maxted was brilliant and I like the right back Brown.

I might try and get to a few away games with my lads.

Travis Bickle wrote:

If a wet, Wednesday night in Stoke is a true test of footballer's mettle then a f***ing cold Saturday afternoon in Halifax might just be the one for 8-year old girls. If it is, she's passed. I say she passed because this was one of those games that frustrate the hell out of you if you follow a team. And could certainly test the new fan.

It was cold. Very cold. And there wasn't much on the pitch to heat things up.

There was to be a minute's silence before the game. No problem with that. She knows what Remembrance Sunday is all about and is off to the local service tomorrow with Cubs. We didn't get a minute's silence though. After an awkward 'has it started yet' period we then got the stadium announcement 'beeps' followed by a recording of someone reciting 'For the Fallen' and the last post. A recording that sounded like it was being played on a tape deck from the 70s. Whatever the merits of that, it was impeccably observed though.

We were later than usual getting in and some buggers were in our seats (they're not our seats, it's unreserved but we always sit in row M, 105 and 106). We ended up in 105 and 104 but when I went to get something to eat they moved down one as the row was filling up. I explained why I was moving next to him ('Dad, just move over, Dad, our seats, go on') and normal service was resumed. Turns out the bloke and his son are season ticket holders at the Dog Botherers. He'd been going for 20-years plus. When I said I thought they'd stay up he answered that it wouldn't bother him if they didn't. He was enjoying the experience and promotion had been great but he reckoned there wasn't much to enjoy watching them go away and put ten men behind the ball. They have a scheme for away tickets that mean they don't get to half the games they did (priority goes to those who are 'Tier 1', season ticket holder for 10 years plus, his lad hasn't had that so can't get tickets).

No drums in the crowd was a good start. Woking brought about 100 or so. They've nicked WBA's 'Boing, Boing' chant. Needs a bit more conviction boys. One thing that has struck me this season so far is how much the away fans seem to enjoy the day out. I suppose not being herded around by the coppers and being charged a fortune for the privilege helps. You've got to admire those that make the trip. The Dover Athletic lot still top that chart for me so far this year. Tuesday night game too.

On the pitch, Town had three loan signings making their home debuts (Batty had played against Tranmere, she very proudly told the bloke next to me that we'd gone and had seen his actual debut).

Early doors and the signs weren't good. Woking had the vast majority of possession in the first 20 minutes and it looked like a long, long day was on the cards.

The ball being needlessly given away. Again and again. A pass that's hit too long. An extra touch taken that isn't needed. Crosses that find the keeper. This had them all.

Denton (now officially 'Big Dents') had the best chance of the game. Came to him quickly but he should have buried it. The new signings seemed good. A bit more shape in defence. They've dropped to 15th so a point wasn't actually a bad result. Town were without Kosylo through injury and they really missed him. McDonald troubled them on a few occasions when he got the ball out of wide but he lives on the wing too much and needs to come looking infield a bit more. I don't know if Heath's told him to stay out there but he should have a go.

We've made good progress getting through the rules of the game, league structures etc. Today's topic was the 'fourth official' ('They should give him a go Dad, he can't be worse than this one'). She enjoys watching the managers giving them an ear-bashing.

I get the impression that, in his head, Woking's manager, Anthony Limbrick, is pitchside at the Camp Nou. He's very 'continental' in his touchline stalking and exaggerated gestures. Snappy dresser. Not for him the sky blue 'Jako' coats that all managers have (they have the sponsorship deal for all warm up kit, managers coats etc). He looked every inch the middle manager doing smart casual, pea coat and skinny chinos. She was more interested in his shoes ('he's going to slip over in them Dad'). Some of the backroom staff in this league are amazing. Woking had Dog The Bounty Hunter in their cohort today.

The final whistle was a bit of relief. Town had another good chance to score late on but you knew it wasn't going to happen.

Fast walk to the car and the heaters were on sharpish. No final score on the radio as she wanted to play Kings and Queens by 30 Seconds to Mars....again... and again....I blame her Mum!

As we were driving home she was checking the upcoming fixtures and reminded me I'd promised Macclesfield away on Boxing Day.

Bring on the wet Wednesdays.....

Fantastic

What score was it....0-0 Im guessing?

Keep em coming

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

placidcasual wrote:

Tolley, I thought they played well yesterday and were worth a point. Had some decent chances in the first half. The striker was clean through and blazed it wide when just needed to hit the target.

Maxted was brilliant and I like the right back Brown.

I might try and get to a few away games with my lads.

Do you go many of the home games or was that your first? Guiseley did play well yesterday - a complete transformation from the start of the season. Saying that, half the squad named yesterday have been brought in since.

You don't expect to see too many silky skills at level 5. Most of those players who started in the higher leagues plied their trade in leagues 1 or 2, while some players might have played at bigger clubs, but in their academies. Saying that, Simon Walton played for Guiseley last season.

Maxted is good - I wouldn't be surprised if he's snapped up by a bigger club. Luckily the reseve keeper Joe Green is good as well.

Connor Brown is probably my favourite player. Lots of talent, runs his heart out, but a suspect temperament. Probably why he's at this level, and no-one else wanted him in the summer. Booked yet again yesterday. He seems to manage it most weeks. He must be close to his second ban of the season. Last time he had an unscheduled day off due to seeing yellow too often, he was taking full advantage of it. I bumped into him at half time in the club house, and he was tucking into a tray of pork pie and mushy peas. They don't appear to have those fancy continental ideas of "diet" at Guiseley.

It was 0-0. I need to remember the score in these reports.

I reckon there's a lot to be said for the whole 'non-league' experience. When you read the profiles of the teams there are stacks that started out at 'big clubs' academies. You see a lot of big units and can tell how they shone in, say their early teens, but then didn't make the grade. I like the lack of stress. We pay cash, it isn't much, we were there 20 minutes of so before kickoff and ended up with the seats we usually sit in. The queue for food is never more than 10 or so people. I can ark near the ground, it doesn't cost much. Getting out is easy. Sounds daft but it makes it a lot easier for us just to enjoy the game and having a laugh. And we have a right laugh....

Guiseley away is on the 17th of March. We'll be there. We're going to Macclesfield, probably do Wrexham and Fylde too. I'm currently winding up the Mrs about Dover away on the 30th of December....

If you do Wrexham 10/2 . Leeds are at Sheffield United on telly 12.15 . Nearer time , sort pub pre game with Leeds on , quietish, near ground, parking , if you like.
Gary mcsheffry is playing in this league for Eastleigh this season, put a superb cross in for thier goal against Wrexham.
There are keepers in this league that would do a better job at ER than what we’ve got .

To stand aside is to take sides.

Been to a few home games, probably do 2 or 3 a season. Went to Chorley for the play off game. Was ace.

white dragon wrote:

If you do Wrexham 10/2 . Leeds are at Sheffield United on telly 12.15 . Nearer time , sort pub pre game with Leeds on , quietish, near ground, parking , if you like.
Gary mcsheffry is playing in this league for Eastleigh this season, put a superb cross in for thier goal against Wrexham.
There are keepers in this league that would do a better job at ER than what we’ve got .

Will do.
Johnson at Halifax would do a better job, especially on a full-time contract and with better coaching.

Last edited by Travis Bickle (Sun 12 Nov 2017 9:12 pm)