Topic: Martial Arts

Anyone dabble, or hold a black belt in one?

At the tender age of 53 I have managed to get to my 6th week doing Tae Kwon Do. I'm either mad or brave, or both, or neither. Tell you what, though, it's a good work out, and no mistake.

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

Re: Martial Arts

Did Muay Thai for a few years at Bad Company Gym in Leeds. Steve Deane (Brian's brother) was one of the trainers. Never been fitter, hurt like fuck at times though.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Can windmilling be taught?

Site stalwart.

Travis Bickle wrote:

Did Muay Thai for a few years at Bad Company Gym in Leeds. Steve Deane (Brian's brother) was one of the trainers. Never been fitter, hurt like fuck at times though.

Certainly gets you fit. I'm like a whippet!

¡No pasaran!

Travis Bickle wrote:

Couple of my mates went there.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

I'm trying to organise some Thai Boxing training for my U14 football team. They're a bunch of lazy hormone ridden herbets! Need some toughing up and fitness training. Ideally I want somewhere like Apollo Creed's gym combined with BA Baracas shouting at them.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Great gym. Richard Smith that runs it was a real gent. He's had major success with fighters over the years. Went to some brilliant shows. And saw a riot at one of Pele Nathan's shows in Manchester.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Great gym. Richard Smith that runs it was a real gent. He's had major success with fighters over the years. Went to some brilliant shows. And saw a riot at one of Pele Nathan's shows in Manchester.

They go watch some of the lads fight still.  Like a big family by sound if it.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Travis Bickle wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

He is.

His kids same age as mine. Proper nice kids. No one messes with them at school not surprisingly. big_smile

Lovely family.

placidcasual wrote:

I'm trying to organise some Thai Boxing training for my U14 football team. They're a bunch of lazy hormone ridden herbets! Need some toughing up and fitness training. Ideally I want somewhere like Apollo Creed's gym combined with BA Baracas shouting at them.

Do you know Tobin? http://www.miketobinsgym.com/

My 15 year old has just started boxing.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

space wrote:

Excellent. Hope he loves it.  No gym like a boxing gym

CBIT wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Do you know Tobin? http://www.miketobinsgym.com/

Yep. Im talking to him today as it happens.

scootay wrote:
space wrote:

Excellent. Hope he loves it.  No gym like a boxing gym

I can agree with that.  It's in an area where I don't want to park my car.  I don't really want to get out of my car there, to be honest.

placidcasual wrote:

Crossed with Cuttys gym from the wire and you've got your perfect gym. So long as BA doesn't gob it off too much to Cutty and get pinged.

placidcasual wrote:

Which league is it placid ? I used to coach a team from 6 years old up until open age and once they got to 14 or 15 they were a real handful. Eventually we got rid of a couple who were constantly stirring things and had a good couple of seasons before they went to open age.

Precinct Boy wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Which league is it placid ? I used to coach a team from 6 years old up until open age and once they got to 14 or 15 they were a real handful. Eventually we got rid of a couple who were constantly stirring things and had a good couple of seasons before they went to open age.

That's where I'm at right now. U14. 3 or 4 are proving to be difficult to manage in terms of their attitude and application. They're good kids but the football is a social thing for them and if they want to keep turning up depsite how little they're actually getting form the football then I think its important to try and keep the team going and the outlet for them for as long as possible.

Im taking them to both Mick Tobin's and Bad Company gyms they'll love it.

placidcasual wrote:
Precinct Boy wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

That's where I'm at right now. U14. 3 or 4 are proving to be difficult to manage in terms of their attitude and application. They're good kids but the football is a social thing for them and if they want to keep turning up depsite how little they're actually getting form the football then I think its important to try and keep the team going and the outlet for them for as long as possible.

Im taking them to both Mick Tobin's and Bad Company gyms they'll love it.

It’s difficult, we lost 2 good lads and were on the verge of losing another when we decided they had to go. We could of coped with it as far as the coaching was concerned but the rest of the team were beginning to not enjoy it so something had to give.My 2 lads trianed at Bad Company before doing their White Collar Boxing and said it was a decent.

Sounds same as me mate. Revisit this in March when Ive fucked it all off to watch cricket

90Piesanhour wrote:

At the tender age of 53 I have managed to get to my 6th week doing Tae Kwon Do. I'm either mad or brave, or both, or neither. Tell you what, though, it's a good work out, and no mistake.

I got to a provisional black in my late twenties early thirties in Hapkido. I also did Judo as a kid some Karate in my 'teens and a bit of Shaolin Kung Fu in my early thirties.

Consider why you are doing it against what you are studying. Tae kwon Do is Korean and taught in schools in Korea, Hapkido is what they teach the special forces and the presidential bodyguard there. If you are doing it for fun and a work out enjoy, do not make the mistake of thinking it will make you effective in the street. Never kick anybody above the knee if it's for real.

If you want to train in something that will protect you the easiest thing to train in the UK would likely be Systema - what the Russians teach the Speznaz or Krav Maga the Isreali military stuff. Flying Eagle Hapkido that I studied is not much taught in the UK, Sin Moo Hapkido is but is mostly locks , you might as well do Aikido which would be easier to find. It all starts to go too shit though if you've had a few and the training can be a little intense. When I trained seriously  I did probably 5 days out of 7 for about 4 years. I also had a canvass bag packed with river pebbles hung from the ceiling that I'd condition my hand with every day. Heads are boney things to hit and you want to damage it and not your hand. If you do the work (and pain)you should be able to go through pine board within six months.

If you are doing it for defence I'd suggest cross training with a bit of boxing just to get used to taking a shot and keeeping you guard intact to counter.

If you just want the work out consider Tai Chi, less impact on your knees at your age.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

When I was a kid I saw a film called Yellow Dog about a Japanese cop who ended up in London.  In it the copper would take on high kicking martial artists but use almost street fighting methods.  My Dad's friend at the time taught martial arts and self defence to prison officers (including the stuff about how to inflict pain like a bastard).   I asked him what the copper was doing and he told me it was Atemi Jitsu.  "Atemi" is the bit of martial arts that people don't usually get taught.  It's the use of power blows against the squidgy bits of often armoured opponents.

Ended up only doing it for a year but it was described as formalised street fighting.   All dodges and throws and dima strikes on nerve centres.  It was the only time I've been formally taught to aim for the nuts.  There was fuck all bowing and nonsense involved.  People were being taught to hurt shit.

Incidentally.... If anyone comes across a copy of the film "Yellow Dog" I'd like to hear about it.  My memory tells me it was an overlooked classic and one of the first odd couple cop buddy movies.

albert herbert hawkins wrote:
90Piesanhour wrote:

I got to a provisional black in my late twenties early thirties in Hapkido. I also did Judo as a kid some Karate in my 'teens and a bit of Shaolin Kung Fu in my early thirties.

Consider why you are doing it against what you are studying. Tae kwon Do is Korean and taught in schools in Korea, Hapkido is what they teach the special forces and the presidential bodyguard there. If you are doing it for fun and a work out enjoy, do not make the mistake of thinking it will make you effective in the street. Never kick anybody above the knee if it's for real.

If you want to train in something that will protect you the easiest thing to train in the UK would likely be Systema - what the Russians teach the Speznaz or Krav Maga the Isreali military stuff. Flying Eagle Hapkido that I studied is not much taught in the UK, Sin Moo Hapkido is but is mostly locks , you might as well do Aikido which would be easier to find. It all starts to go too shit though if you've had a few and the training can be a little intense. When I trained seriously  I did probably 5 days out of 7 for about 4 years. I also had a canvass bag packed with river pebbles hung from the ceiling that I'd condition my hand with every day. Heads are boney things to hit and you want to damage it and not your hand. If you do the work (and pain)you should be able to go through pine board within six months.

If you are doing it for defence I'd suggest cross training with a bit of boxing just to get used to taking a shot and keeeping you guard intact to counter.

If you just want the work out consider Tai Chi, less impact on your knees at your age.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for that.

Mainly fitness, at the moment, and cos it's local (5 min walk).

I can't imagine getting to any decent level, but having long legs means I can already do some reasonable kicks.

I have looked at Jiu Jitsu, which is also taught locally, so wonder what you think of that? I always imagined that, as it's a lot of throws and blocks, and using your opponent's strength against them, it might be worth while.

¡No pasaran!

TKD will certainly keep you fit and it's quite a lot of fun and looks good. Bit hard on the knees though all the jumping and kicking.

Never done Ju Jitsui. Very lock based and great in close. Not so good on punches and strikes. The bloke who taught me was Singapore Chinese and he sparred with a couple of US marines who were tight with the Gracies. They are very big on that 90 percent of fights ending on the floor but as Mervyn said "you have to get me there" In his case he breaks baseball bat handles with his ridge-hand so taking him to the floor is by no means a given.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

Looks like I have lost my conservatory to a punchbag stand and a weight bench.