Topic: Unsocial media

Phone fucked up yesterday. I was without technology until about 7 at night. After the first hour or so when I'd normally be checking here, Twitter, news, weather, using it as a clock or a torch or a camera, I stopped missing it. I miraculously took a train journey without needing to check the times, attended a football match without needing to check other team's scores, ate out without checking if the place was ok first and took another train, a wireless carriage with a phoneless passenger. God it was good. Makes you realise how much shit we end up using them for, how did we ever cope without? Going to try and use it less now, y'know, talk to people, read books, stop looking at videos of people falling through ice, that sort of thing.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Re: Unsocial media

Like.

Unsocial media.

I'm going non-digital from Jan 1st indefinitely..

My reasons:
– Mark Zuckerburg is an amoral man-child who's only interest is in selling you to the highest bidder.
– FB is designed to be addictive and I am addicted to it. It's also designed to make you feel shit about yourself and as such is worst than a batch of shit beak.
– Time spent on FB is mostly wasted w/ minimal self improvement gained from it. It's the digital equivalent of reading the free local newspaper.
– Too many monopolies on the internet, and they are not benevolent, they're out to get you.
– There are far better / discrete sources of high quality media & non-commercial content available online and I'm too lazy to look for them as long as I get a mediocre stream of piss-poor content force fed to me, along with road traffic updates and "she's turned the bairns against us," posts from people I've not seen in 20 years.
- I will miss my friend's updates & content (especially travel & hobby related stuff), and the rare re-connects with friends I'd lost touch with, but it's time to drag it back in.

Fuck FB!

A simple city boy with wild grown country tastes

Good post KOTS. This made me think the same:

[video]

Just watched that video again ^ and its a little bit mind blowing really. We're heading towards the fucking matrix in terms of they way people are manipulated via the information presented to them.

Video in youtube format here:

It's mental mate and she's spot on.

I'm closing down FB and Instagram at the end of the year if not before..

I just posted that vid on Facebook so I'm half expecting to get mugged by a vicious gang of algorithms on the way home.

How Technology is Hijacking Your Mind—from a Magician and Google Design Ethicist

https://journal.thriveglobal.com/how-te … d62ef5edf3

And this...

Why Teens Aren't Partying Anymore

https://www.wired.com/story/why-teens-a … g-anymore/

If there is one thing Facebook has taught me it's that a lot more people are a lot more stupid and a lot more racist than I thought there were.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Ive deleted it from my phone. Its killing me

placidcasual wrote:

Ive deleted it from my phone. Its killing me

Same here.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Never been on it, always seemed a really shite idea to me. It's called a private life for a reason, you nosey cunt!

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Never had a Facebook account, never had twitter too.

Just a few forums over the last 10 years.

Old school stylee.

Expanding Man wrote:

Never had a Facebook account, .

Really?? there's someone on my friends list who  i thought 100% was you, you live and learn.

though it could well be ymat thinking about it - read into that what you will!

I have FB for family and friends back home, instagram that I dont really use these days and here...

Work is another matter ...

Take off hosers ...

Expanding Man wrote:

Never had a Facebook account, never had twitter too.

Just a few forums over the last 10 years.

Old school stylee.

Ditto.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

I still dont get Twitter ....

Take off hosers ...

Toronto Ted wrote:

I still dont get Twitter ....

I don't particularly get it but I do enjoy going on it

The immediacy is good,  being able to get numerous points of view on something that's just happened

I do get thrown sometimes though by replicated posts on there and here

I am a thick c*nt though

Last edited by Ray Hankin's shorts (Thu 15 Feb 2018 2:08 pm)

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Touches on FB and Google and Amazon.

Always enlightening to listen to this guy talk, he knows his stuff, well worth a watch if you're into that kind of stuff..

I was talking to my wife yesterday morning about reducing our booze intake and the like - less than half hour later I get an ad on my IG about '1yearsober' or summat.  FFS.

I had been thinking it for some time but my phone is listening to me - I then went through a fairly rigorous process to turn off the microphone - it was not easy and not obvious.  I have done it now.

Do you think Whats app is included in this?  How do they make money?  Are they selling my info?

I am in a whats app group and it fucking stresses me out on occasion.  Why I don't delete the cunt - it's easy.  FOMO.

FB, never been on but it's turned my wife into a negative cunt.  I keep telling her - this is not real peoples lives - microcosms of it - the best bits - they don't post when the shitter has broken and they are swimming in and inch of shit water in the bathroom or if they have had a huge row/borderline fight with their 20 year old son - no - just the holiday in India or the scooter club Northern Soul disco. 

Load.  Of.  Old.  Cunt.

I think I am going to delete my IG - I only post pictures of records and look at traditional tattoos and Japanese women with huge tits.  The ads are killing it though.  And how they want to be snapchat.
Maybe my twitter - I do like twitter though.   I am in this ace left wing bubble on there and I can find out how JC is a spy, or Irish or what not.

In short - it is a load of wank.

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

I was talking to my wife yesterday morning about reducing our booze intake and the like - less than half hour later I get an ad on my IG about '1yearsober' or summat.  FFS.

I had been thinking it for some time but my phone is listening to me - I then went through a fairly rigorous process to turn off the microphone - it was not easy and not obvious.  I have done it now.

Do you think Whats app is included in this?  How do they make money?  Are they selling my info?

I am in a whats app group and it fucking stresses me out on occasion.  Why I don't delete the cunt - it's easy.  FOMO.

FB, never been on but it's turned my wife into a negative cunt.  I keep telling her - this is not real peoples lives - microcosms of it - the best bits - they don't post when the shitter has broken and they are swimming in and inch of shit water in the bathroom or if they have had a huge row/borderline fight with their 20 year old son - no - just the holiday in India or the scooter club Northern Soul disco. 

Load.  Of.  Old.  Cunt.

I think I am going to delete my IG - I only post pictures of records and look at traditional tattoos and Japanese women with huge tits.  The ads are killing it though.  And how they want to be snapchat.
Maybe my twitter - I do like twitter though.   I am in this ace left wing bubble on there and I can find out how JC is a spy, or Irish or what not.

In short - it is a load of wank.

A great reason not to delete it to be honest

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

I'm thinking about ditching my CB radio, the scene's on its last legs.

What's your twitter thingy Dan?