Topic: Bitcoin

Fuck me, anyone on here own any?

If you had bought £100 of 'em in 2010, they'd now be worth about £250m!

Re: Bitcoin

I know someone who bought some about 4 years ago as an investment.  He's since had a stroke and now has no idea what he used as the encryption key of his wallet.  He never wrote it down or left himself a hint.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

It's a giant bubble.  A lot of people are going to lose a lot of money if they're still on it when it pops.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Some geezer tried to excavate an old pc from his local landfill I seem to recall.  It all seems a bit fucking stupid to me but then again so does gold / diamonds so what the fuck do I know.  Surely the latter are limited resources by the limit if the amount of the shit on the planet, Bitcoin is a an abstract construct which needn't be limited for any reason than by design.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

There's different types of digital currency other than Bitcoin isn't there?
I bought 500 quids worth a couple of months ago ( not Bitcoins as they were 8k each).
Within 4 weeks they were worth 1k so I sold half to get my original investment back.

The other 500 quid I left in there is now worth 750 quid so although not making the thousands others are apparently,I'm still winning.
I'm leaving them be for now as I'm told another major surge is forecast.

I wouldn't have dared risk anymore than I did though.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

There are over 1,300 crypto-currencies on the market. When the BIG correction comes, 90% of them will be wiped-out and a lot of people will lose their cash. Leaving only a handful left. For sure the concept is going nowhere, the Genie is out of the bottle. Stick with the top-5 and ONLY invest what you can afford to lose, completely.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Mitaman wrote:

There are over 1,300 crypto-currencies on the market. When the BIG correction comes, 90% of them will be wiped-out and a lot of people will lose their cash. Leaving only a handful left. For sure the concept is going nowhere, the Genie is out of the bottle. Stick with the top-5 and ONLY invest what you can afford to lose, completely.

Big correction??
Divulge please.

The libertarian in me says its a great idea.

Money is fucked anyway apart from the fact we have to go back to it each time as previously there was no better option.

Now maybe there is.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Some geezer tried to excavate an old pc from his local landfill I seem to recall.  It all seems a bit fucking stupid to me but then again so does gold / diamonds so what the fuck do I know.  Surely the latter are limited resources by the limit if the amount of the shit on the planet, Bitcoin is a an abstract construct which needn't be limited for any reason than by design.

Remember this story; "amusing" news item- think it was somewhere in Wales?  He'd dumped a laptop on which he'd got a shedload of bitcoins (I've no idea how this works) and had no other access to them.  He thought they were worth about 73p when he junked his laptop, then suddenly they were worth loads.

"We are The Fall"

My hedge fund owning mate says this "Shitcoin what I say.  I think it's a sham, I don't get it. But at the moment it keeps going up.  It has no Government protection and many stupid people will lose money and want support for their stupidity". 

This was typed on WhatsApp on a phone so I'm sure he communicates batter than this with his clients.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

My hedge fund owning mate says this "Shitcoin what I say.  I think it's a sham, I don't get it. But at the moment it keeps going up.  It has no Government protection and many stupid people will lose money and want support for their stupidity". 

This was typed on WhatsApp on a phone so I'm sure he communicates batter than this with his clients.

Everything has a shelf life undoubtedly but not sure it can be classed as a sham when some people have made thousands maybe more!

Old Wharfedaler wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Everything has a shelf life undoubtedly but not sure it can be classed as a sham when some people have made thousands maybe more!

That's the thing though, innit. The thing that i'm curious about. The surge in value in the last 6/7 yrs is mental, and it looks on paper at least that people coulda/shoulda made fortunes & yet i don't know anybody that has or seen anyone in the press boasting of their good fortune.

I bet plenty of people on here know of someone that knows of someone that has won money on the lottery. You would've thought that one of us would at least would know 1 person who drunkenly bought £100 of the fuckers and sold 'em for £1m? Strange. Doesn't that hint at some kind of scam?

*Edit. Unless all the fuckers that have disappeared off here over the years have cashed their collective coins in and are now in the British virgin isles drinking exquisite cocktails, whilst being sucked off by super models.

Last edited by Misura (Fri 01 Dec 2017 2:14 pm)

The majority of bitcoin holders were the original miners right?

Secretive bunch.

Unless you hang out with Japanese crypto hackers the chance of seeing them down the pub is slim.

Misura wrote:
Old Wharfedaler wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

That's the thing though, innit. The thing that i'm curious about. The surge in value in the last 6/7 yrs is mental, and it looks on paper at least that people coulda/shoulda made fortunes & yet i don't know anybody that has or seen anyone in the press boasting of their good fortune.

I bet plenty of people on here know of someone that knows of someone that has won money on the lottery. You would've thought that one of us would at least would know 1 person who drunkenly bought £100 of the fuckers and sold 'em for £1m? Strange. Doesn't that hint at some kind of scam?

*Edit. Unless all the fuckers that have disappeared off here over the years have cashed their collective coins in and are now in the British virgin isles drinking exquisite cocktails, whilst being sucked off by super models.

You may well be right although the reason I bought a few was after recommendation from a colleague who bought 300 quids worth 6 years ago and sold them for just under 30k earlier this year,so not a bad result by any means.
Never personally seen or heard of anyone selling for a million or more though,but then again I also don't know anyone who's won similar on the lottery!
Fuck knows.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

There's why the world economy is fucked in a nutshell - even a hedge fund owner doesn't understand finance. Watched The Big Short last week, fucking scary stuff this smoke n mirrors.

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Some of these appear to be almost straightforward pyramid selling scams- get in early/ middle, and fill your boots.

It's being financed by the final entrants to the scheme.

Mike Jones wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

There's why the world economy is fucked in a nutshell - even a hedge fund owner doesn't understand finance. Watched The Big Short last week, fucking scary stuff this smoke n mirrors.

It's not finance it's a crypto currency which is not supported by any government. I thinks it's the success that he doesn't get and suspects it will not last.

Big Short - the best Sunday night fillum going.

Old Wharfedaler wrote:
Mitaman wrote:

Big correction??
Divulge please.

There will be a huge panic and a very quick sell-off, anything that is +/- 30%+ in normal trading could easily see +/- 75% in abnormal conditions. Man Group (world's largest hedge fund) is making moves to buy in. For sure, they will be out before you and I can get our e-wallets open, make no bones about it.

They know, that there is shit loads of cash to be made on the way up, and I think it has a way to go yet. But you need to get the feck out when the time is right otherwise you are toast. I would rather blow a grand on Bitcoin perhaps than give it to betfair or William Hills, there is precious little difference anyway.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Bitcoin is neither a currency or an investment. It is just a speculative play no different from the horses or dutch tulip bulbs. It has no intrinsic value and so when sentiment turns it could lose most if not all it's value. It could go higher but is probably near the top and at US$10,000 a pop who can afford a punt like that

smiley wrote:

Bitcoin is neither a currency or an investment. It is just a speculative play no different from the horses or dutch tulip bulbs. It has no intrinsic value and so when sentiment turns it could lose most if not all it's value. It could go higher but is probably near the top and at US$10,000 a pop who can afford a punt like that

You can buy units of one coin, my colleague just invested $1,000, its top has a long way to go yet. But yes, it will lose most of its its value at some stage.

Edited to say thats probably when I will buy. Probably..

Last edited by Mitaman (Mon 04 Dec 2017 8:46 am)

Reggie Perrin wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … llion.html

CBIT wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … llion.html

No.  He thought a few hundred thousand pounds weren't that important.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Mon 04 Dec 2017 8:32 pm)

I'm having a look at Dash, mate has been on it pretty hard from a few years back and they're cheaper than BCs, I'm on a site which is like the OMJ for cryptos but I'm not into buying yet, just learning, lots of bullshit merchants and sites out there. You need a wallet, don't store them with a 3rd party seems to be the main advice I've read so far.

#DoTheDai \o/

king of the slums wrote:

I'm having a look at Dash, mate has been on it pretty hard from a few years back and they're cheaper than BCs, I'm on a site which is like the OMJ for cryptos but I'm not into buying yet, just learning, lots of bullshit merchants and sites out there. You need a wallet, don't store them with a 3rd party seems to be the main advice I've read so far.

Thats some chart...
https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/dash/