Topic: Is it just me

or do you find if you like an author you have to read everything they've ever done?

Off the top of my head

Jo Nesbo, John Le Carre, R G Ellory, Johnny Lake, James Hawes , Kevin Sampson, James Ellroy , Donna Tart, Stehpen King, John King, Richard Price, Brett Easton Ellis,  James Lee Burke, Irvine Welsh, Russ Liitten, Martin Amiss, Elmore Leonard, Christopher Bookmyre , W E Johns and him who did the swedish ones but James Patterson can fuck right off,

Re: Is it just me

Richard Price. James Lee Burke. James Ellroy. Kevin Sampson. Don Winslow. Philip Hensher. Michael Connelly...

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

And generally one after the other.

Add Bukowski.

I know we've debated him before but he's fucking great for me.

John Sandford, took about 6 months to get through Lucas Davenport series and then onto Virgil Flowers

Last edited by humphrey plugg (Sat 09 Dec 2017 7:52 am)

lend's some dough

Just read my first Jo Nesbo book, very good. I have it in my mind that i dont like detective books, but Nesbo and James Ellroy are very good. Have read all of Michel Houellebecqs, but his last couple were pants. John Lakes Leeds trilogy was excellent, need to read his other one. And yes Bukowski, i have done the full set.

Irwin Welsh i struggle with. I like depravity in a book, but he just throws it in purely because there hasn't been any for a few pages.

May I strongly recommend the books of Daniel Woodrill. I've devoured every one. Amazing command of language.

Wife reads Nesbo.

She likes them because she doesn't know who's dunnit until the last few pages.

Getting a kindle for Christmas, going to hammer the recommendations on this and the other book thread , looked a few up , thanks all .
Lately read , jack reacher books and harlen coben. Toney parsons , hanging club,was ok. Enjoyed the three , girl with the dragon tattoo books.
Reading big Sam’s auto bio atm, finishes before he gets the England job , I think. Enjoying it though. Should be called, big ego.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Everyone should read Rudi's book, Scream If You Want To Go Faster.

Site stalwart.

Harvest wrote:

Everyone should read Rudi's book, Scream If You Want To Go Faster.

Very kind of you Harvest. Ideal gift for Xmas etc

Cormac Mcarthy, Mark Mills, William Boyd, Ian Banks.  Yes, to name a few.

I read a Jo Nesbo book - forget which but I was not screaming for more.  I watched one of his turned into a film - it were ace.  Forget the name.

HTH

Aim Low and miss...