Topic: Misura - thoughts?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/d … an-soriano

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

I've never been more glad that our H watches Halifax

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Misura - thoughts?

Anybody else allowed to comment?
It is a football section of a Leeds forum so an open house for guessing it is okay for anybody with some knowledge or a vested (and declared ) interest.
Somebody who has seen the rise of historically smaller clubs who have now won the lottery to the (relative) detriment of their own historically bigger and more successful club. And yes I am talking about MUFC as well as people whose favourite club is Liverpool.
First Chelsea and now City for the last 9 years.

How would other people on here if the Sheiks had looked down and picked Leeds or Liverpool in August 2008?
Grateful because it seems to be a free billion quid, or uneasy at what the real price the success is? Most Blues I know publicly don't give a flying one as they march towards the inevitable European Cup(s). Or at least that is the front they put on when they are questioned about locally about whether they becoming all the things they hated about United, albeit with not their own money.
I know privately some feel it feel a bit hollow.

The article doesn't say much new, although it expands on the Barca related inputs to "the project".

From a vested interest angle I don't think there's much that can be change as they have a licence to print money, and you don't need to be a Neil Diamond fan to know what money does.
Even the notion of the Sheiks moving their attention to another of the franchise teams is not realistic. Of the obvious options Girona are never going to challenge the big 2 in Spain and the more glamorous New York franchise just lacks the monetary appeal and worldwide kudos that the Premier League has.

Just my 2 cents, even though it wasn't asked for.

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

https://www.designboom.com/cms/images/-Z56/ff4.jpg

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

In the time that Leeds have fallen apart and are starting to be re built slowly I've seen Chelsea and then Man City catapulted from yo yo to uber rich clubs.

During that time I've watched my brother in laws who prior to the Sheikh down were hardly vocal City fans, in fact one used to go watch Latics become Man City Sky TV bores. This nouveau fandom embodies all that is wrong with modern football for me. The club, the fans, the money the media and all the facile bull shit trimmings.

My Football supporter utopia would be to go and watch my team in Europe in the UEFA cup every season. But cclearly alot of the above would come with that, tis a perplexing conundrum.

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

Where's that pitch Placid, I feel like i should have played on it.

It's not Warley is it?

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7206828 … 312!8i6656

Yes it is Warley.  I have played on it. Scored one of my favourite goals in that goal at the far end. Shoulder charged the keeper into the net Nat Lofthouse style, he landed over the line on his back with the ball still in his arms, I turned away to line up for the free kick to find the referee had given it. I only did it because we were losing 1-0 in the cup, we won 3-1. Their supporters went nuts.

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

Thats ace! Id be pretty pleased if I were you. Its from a book called European Fields.

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

cordshoes wrote:

Anybody else allowed to comment?
It is a football section of a Leeds forum so an open house for guessing it is okay for anybody with some knowledge or a vested (and declared ) interest.
Somebody who has seen the rise of historically smaller clubs who have now won the lottery to the (relative) detriment of their own historically bigger and more successful club. And yes I am talking about MUFC as well as people whose favourite club is Liverpool.
First Chelsea and now City for the last 9 years.

How would other people on here if the Sheiks had looked down and picked Leeds or Liverpool in August 2008?
Grateful because it seems to be a free billion quid, or uneasy at what the real price the success is? Most Blues I know publicly don't give a flying one as they march towards the inevitable European Cup(s). Or at least that is the front they put on when they are questioned about locally about whether they becoming all the things they hated about United, albeit with not their own money.
I know privately some feel it feel a bit hollow.

The article doesn't say much new, although it expands on the Barca related inputs to "the project".

From a vested interest angle I don't think there's much that can be change as they have a licence to print money, and you don't need to be a Neil Diamond fan to know what money does.
Even the notion of the Sheiks moving their attention to another of the franchise teams is not realistic. Of the obvious options Girona are never going to challenge the big 2 in Spain and the more glamorous New York franchise just lacks the monetary appeal and worldwide kudos that the Premier League has.

Just my 2 cents, even though it wasn't asked for.

Ooooh, just hark at her, with her big flouncy words! wink

I hope you went out smiling like a child, into the cool remnant of a dream.

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

An interesting article, and one that i'd not not previously read.

It's the way modern football is going. Other than the obvious teams, i wasn't aware that city owned that many teams. Red Bull are doing the same. It's imperialism is a way, nipping in to emerging footballing markets, subverting their leagues and implanting your brand into it for the benefit of the jewel in their crown. The risk is that the oil dries up, the sponsor dies or they lose interest.

If they are successful, what they are describing will give them a momentary advantage of a few seasons. Probably not long enough to win the champions league. Then all the other big clubs will quickly copy the system. Then there's parity between the big clubs again, and all that has really happen is that an already detached group has moved further ahead of the rank & file.

They're also going to be churning out players every year who are surplus to requirements, because they have met the requirements for that year, but who are valuable and will find their way into the hands of their competitors. Like us with david brooks, we picked him up on a free from city and 2/3 years later he's worth £10m. That's certainly a weakness. There's also a limit to how long you can loan players out around the world for before they get pissed off. I think chelsea are reaching that point now.

It's going to be interesting what impact brexit has on football transfers into/out of the country.

I'd read somewhere that uefa rules state that two clubs owned by the same entity can't be in the same same european competition, so the strategy could be self limiting. Girona could theoretically become 3rd best team in spain or a worst top 5. Monaco are competitive in france with smaller facilities than their rivals.

City's stadium & associated development is very impressive and has improved that end of town.

I think it's part of the push that will eventually create either a european or global super league, the ideal must be the nba/nfl.

I hope you went out smiling like a child, into the cool remnant of a dream.

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

Misura wrote:

[
I'd read somewhere that uefa rules state that two clubs owned by the same entity can't be in the same same european competition,

In theory yes, in practice, nah. Salzburg and Leipzig both played int chumpions league this season despite both being owned by rb.

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

Smutty Lips wrote:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7206828 … 312!8i6656

Yes it is Warley.  I have played on it. Scored one of my favourite goals in that goal at the far end. Shoulder charged the keeper into the net Nat Lofthouse style, he landed over the line on his back with the ball still in his arms, I turned away to line up for the free kick to find the referee had given it. I only did it because we were losing 1-0 in the cup, we won 3-1. Their supporters went nuts.

It looks familiar to me too.  Are those top fields prime mushroom picking spots come October?

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

Misura wrote:
cordshoes wrote:

Anybody else allowed to comment?
It is a football section of a Leeds forum so an open house for guessing it is okay for anybody with some knowledge or a vested (and declared ) interest.
Somebody who has seen the rise of historically smaller clubs who have now won the lottery to the (relative) detriment of their own historically bigger and more successful club. And yes I am talking about MUFC as well as people whose favourite club is Liverpool.
First Chelsea and now City for the last 9 years.

How would other people on here if the Sheiks had looked down and picked Leeds or Liverpool in August 2008?
Grateful because it seems to be a free billion quid, or uneasy at what the real price the success is? Most Blues I know publicly don't give a flying one as they march towards the inevitable European Cup(s). Or at least that is the front they put on when they are questioned about locally about whether they becoming all the things they hated about United, albeit with not their own money.
I know privately some feel it feel a bit hollow.

The article doesn't say much new, although it expands on the Barca related inputs to "the project".

From a vested interest angle I don't think there's much that can be change as they have a licence to print money, and you don't need to be a Neil Diamond fan to know what money does.
Even the notion of the Sheiks moving their attention to another of the franchise teams is not realistic. Of the obvious options Girona are never going to challenge the big 2 in Spain and the more glamorous New York franchise just lacks the monetary appeal and worldwide kudos that the Premier League has.

Just my 2 cents, even though it wasn't asked for.

Ooooh, just hark at her, with her big flouncy words! wink

if it gets you to join in, then it is efficacious.

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

Talking of which....another "lucky" win today!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Share

Re: Misura - thoughts?

Travis Bickle wrote:

I've never been more glad that our H watches Halifax

wink

Share