Re: Blacking up

Interesting having white people discussing whether it's okay for other white people to black up. Why don't we ask some black people whether they think it''s just 'banter'?

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

Fuuuuukin 'ell.....

https://twitter.com/AntoGriezmann/statu … 9485054976

Site stalwart.

I do find this thread somewhat strange

Not for the blacking up bit - that's just crass

It's the hypocrisy of some people who glibly through around terms like 'slosh pot';  'tart';  'bint';  'fanny' but yet get offended by other "-isms"

Maybe in 20 years the 'b-word' (bird) will be just as taboo as the 'n-word'........?

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Every single human being on the planet is a hypocrite a greater or lesser extent. It's in our DNA.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

king of the slums wrote:

Darts, it's shit, just looks like all the weapons you try and avoid at football or the FB warriors who post Paul Joseph Watson and claim he's got a point.

Paul Joseph Watson wrote:
Sean Bean’s popularity is also on the wane. I knew someone who met him in a pub in Sheffield and said he was a pompous twat. He also supports Sheffield United, which automatically makes him a cunt. I could never respect anyone who supports Sheffield United.

He's wednesday and i'm not sean bean.

Last edited by Misura (Sun 17 Dec 2017 10:09 pm)

I hope you went out smiling like a child, into the cool remnant of a dream.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

It's the hypocrisy of some people who glibly through around terms like 'slosh pot';  'tart';  'bint';  'fanny' but yet get offended by other "-isms"

Maybe in 20 years the 'b-word' (bird) will be just as taboo as the 'n-word'........?

I'll hold my hands up to 'bint'.

I hope you went out smiling like a child, into the cool remnant of a dream.

Misura wrote:

But Slosh Pot is an affectation.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

The French are still cunts though?

Misura wrote:

Me too!
I even did a "split arse" once.
Soon after I changed my Avatar!

Not big and not clever like though I'm struggling to place it in context with the blacking out bit!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRRt72GXkAEXGS1.jpg

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Misura wrote:
king of the slums wrote:

Darts, it's shit, just looks like all the weapons you try and avoid at football or the FB warriors who post Paul Joseph Watson and claim he's got a point.

Paul Joseph Watson wrote:
Sean Bean’s popularity is also on the wane. I knew someone who met him in a pub in Sheffield and said he was a pompous twat. He also supports Sheffield United, which automatically makes him a cunt. I could never respect anyone who supports Sheffield United.

He's wednesday and i'm not sean bean.

We could have a drink with Tommy Craig next time you're over big_smile

Take off hosers ...

Travis Bickle wrote:

Quality

We have black and Asian people posting on here. Just seems odd talking this way in 2017. Just people aren't we?

Site stalwart.

Harvest wrote:

We have black and Asian people posting on here. Just seems odd talking this way in 2017. Just people aren't we?

We used to have women too

Trust me,  I am FAR from being Mr PC but I do wince at some of the references to the female of the species on here

And yes,  some of it can be amusing in the right time/place/context - but don't go all PC when someone posts a pic of a guy blacked up and then go all Macc Lads on us

Casual misogyny is no better than casual racism surely?

Harvest wrote:

We have black and Asian people posting on here

do we ? We may have done in the past but even then it was fairly limited and i'm fairly sure now (going on the posters who I've met/know) that  we're all white  now.

CBIT wrote:
Harvest wrote:

do we ? We may have done in the past but even then it was fairly limited and i'm fairly sure now (going on the posters who I've met/know) that  we're all white  now.

It's a FREE country

I hope there's some element of multi culturalism on here although you don't see many non-white faces at football ('cept on the pitch of course and then not many Asians)

CBIT wrote:
Harvest wrote:

Nope.

Site stalwart.

Travis Bickle wrote:

Funny picture that. I met Diouf the week after that happened in a pub and he kindly signed my lad's etch a sketch thingio. Seemed like a good egg.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/148567_10152426028880624_1116077067_n.jpg?oh=a0c0c7f858f57c98e8851c9ebdc607b5&oe=5ACE3052

Read the thread through again and I can't see evidence of anyone condoning the blacking out thing, so not totally sure what's being inferred?

..and RHS...point taken and duly noted!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

While I agree that blacking up is not a sensitive thing to do - and I would never consider doing it myself - I also don't feel particularly fussed about being outraged on someone else's behalf.

Put simply, I am not indignant about this but I support anyone interested party if they feel indignant about it.  I don;t feel it's my place to be the judge of good taste.  I guess I'm saying that I have no place in being the moral compass for other people's shit.  If it's my shit then I'll be the one shouting.

Does that sound selfish?

Also, I couldn't really give a fuck if someone goes to fancy dress party as Heir Flick of the Gestapo either.      Sorry, but shit is always about context and without context satire is dead.

I tell you what though - this bird I work with has got ace tits.

Aim Low and miss...

What about those under a disability who haven't a sufficient level of awareness to feel outraged? Fair game?

What if someone next to you on a bus full of white people starts talking about smelly p**is? Free pass?

I'm sure you could look hard enough and find some Charlie Williams-esque black bloke who'll tell you it's nowt to get wound about, just a bit of fun. But it's not. All of us have the capacity to be racist. The key is to work towards not being. And not tolerating shite like that is a start. We need to be indignant because those on the end of it can't always speak up. The woman in the shop or on the bus who gets a mouthful needs us to be there sometimes. And needs politicians to speak out, again and again.

I spoke to my mate (the one that coppers had a pop at all those years ago) yesterday. He reckons it just shows that for all the smiling 'people of colour' on adverts and stuff, most of this country hasn't moved on anywhere near as far as it likes to think it has. I agree with him. Good thing is, the younger generations seem less arsed about that stuff. We can but hope.

I accept that there are thin lines with censorship, and I wouldn't ban someone doing that. Or indeed from dressing up as a Nazi. But I'll reserve the right to call them out for doing it.

I think it's simpler than this.  If the consensus from black people is "don't black up" then no one should be blacking up.  Robert Downey Jnr in Tropic of Thunder in particular.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

danpiesley wrote:

I tell you what though - this bird I work with has got ace tits.

photos or STFU.

fuzzy dunlop wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Funny picture that. I met Diouf the week after that happened in a pub and he kindly signed my lad's etch a sketch thingio. Seemed like a good egg.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/148567_10152426028880624_1116077067_n.jpg?oh=a0c0c7f858f57c98e8851c9ebdc607b5&oe=5ACE3052

Thats brill!

I didnt even know etch a sketch exsisted anymore.