Topic: Barnsley

Just been bought out by a Chinese billionaire, with Billy Beane on the baord


http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42414884

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Wed 20 Dec 2017 12:31 am)

Take off hosers ...

Share

Re: Barnsley

Sounds interesting. Good luck to them.

Share

Re: Barnsley

Red kit 'innit. Those Chinese lads love it, very superstitious.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Share

Re: Barnsley

Barnsley??
I don't get it!

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Share

Re: Barnsley

Mitaman wrote:

Red kit 'innit. Those Chinese lads love it, very superstitious.

Sweet and sour tha noz,a whippet foo yung and a portion of ferret sauce please!

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Share

Re: Barnsley

Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Barnsley??
I don't get it!

Buy Leeds for 40mill, spend 50 mill on players, get promoted.

Buy Barnsley for 15mill, spend 50 mill on players, get promoted. 25 mill saved.

Apart from the above generalisation without specifics or any real thought, that's all I can come up with.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Share

Re: Barnsley

Madness. The whole thing is madness and shows a total baffling misunderstanding of football by them there chinese and yanks. I get the impression that they work on a franchise basis/understanding of the game and think that as long as they can pick up a championship club then they've bought well. They only way that this would work is a 18 month hold, quick promotion and then sell off as a premier league team to some other south asian/american sap. If that was the angle, then you wouldn't need split billionaire ownership, just £100m spent right & quickly with someone who knows what they are doing at the helm, eg. allardyce and you'd get out of the championship within a season & a half.

If you are buying in yorkshire for a long term project to create a european quality operation, it's leeds, wednesday & united. Spreading the net wider it's forest, bradford or mk dons. Or the other strategy is buy a london club.

If you were wanting a feeder club of a bigger european team would you buy Barnsley? No chance. Sadly for the place it's a poorly supported club located in the arse end of the empire.

Last edited by Misura (Wed 20 Dec 2017 11:18 am)

Share

Re: Barnsley

Mitaman wrote:
Old Wharfedaler wrote:

Barnsley??
I don't get it!

Buy Leeds for 40mill, spend 50 mill on players, get promoted.- Guaranteed 35K crowds + sponsorship + bigger names 

Buy Barnsley for 15mill, spend 50 mill on players, get promoted. 25 mill saved. - Crowds ? + sponsorship ? + mercenaries

Apart from the above generalisation without specifics or any real thought, that's all I can come up with.

then again if the likes of Burnley, Brighton + Bournemouth (notice the trend... ) can be in the PL... then why not Barnsley

Take off hosers ...

Share

Re: Barnsley

You're right TT, there is always space in the prem for at least 4 or five canon fodder teams and the places are available for those that want to grasp them and make hay whilst bigger clubs are mismanaged into/in the championship.

The 3 B's all three have british managers that know the domestic game and have benefited from shrewd signings. They've not had serious money thrown at them. Their success has been evolutionary not revolutionary.

Brighton & bournemouth are far more attractive areas than barnsley to live & attract players.

Burnley isn't, but Burnley are a fluke, based upon the sum of the parts being greater than the whole. I think one of the reasons that dyche hasn't left them is that he realises that he isn't that great a manager (good but not great) and he's over performing at burnley, and he'd be better placed to at least squeeze the pips out of the experience for as long as he can. They'll eventaully go the way of swansea, but quicker. He looks at moyes and recognises himself. Plus he's had 5 years to achieve what he has.

For all the pleasure taken in laughing at his misfortune, moyes isn't that bad a manager, just that he over performed at preston & everton. If you look at the burnley squad it's a strong championship team, not a top 6 prem side. He's assembled a squad of good honest british/irish pro's, drilled them defensively and has made them hard to beat. It's got to be noted that their 1st choice front three has scored 9 goals in 43 games. Chris Wood, as ruggedly handsome as he is will not keep you in the top division.

Brighton & Bournemouth will be playing in the championship this time next year, and won't come back.

Share

Re: Barnsley

The acid test for moving from that there London to Brighton was going for a day out in late November ...  might as well be Barnsley. Barnsley has better shopping wink

Take off hosers ...

Share

Re: Barnsley

The other way of looking at it...
None of these clubs are saddled with delusions of grandeur nor the weight of expectation from the fans who see their club as a sleeping giant...  Potential investors are more likely to go for the favourites, guaranteed return,  or the rank outsider, small investment and potential huge return.
I imagine there's a sense of hope, adventure and enjoying it while it lasts at these clubs unlike us, you and many others...

Just look at earlier on in the season at our place ... mass hysteria followed by the obvious questioning the manager, players ....
For sure the potential is there but the baggage is something else

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Thu 21 Dec 2017 2:09 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Share

Re: Barnsley

Barnsley will not be a major force is english football, as long as i have a hole in my arse. smile

Share

Re: Barnsley

But more likely to be playing PL football than you lot as long as I have a  hole in mine wink

Take off hosers ...

Share

Re: Barnsley

Toronto Ted wrote:

But more likely to be playing PL football than you lot as long as I have a  hole in mine wink

Quite probably. However, i must admit, i do find the championship a lot more exciting/fulfilling. As long as we finish above wednesday & leeds, i'm happy.

The previous barnsley owner has terminal cancer and probably won't last the season.

Unfortunately, this transfer window will show just how completely twattish our owner is.

Share

Re: Barnsley

Misura wrote:
Toronto Ted wrote:

But more likely to be playing PL football than you lot as long as I have a  hole in mine wink

Quite probably. However, i must admit, i do find the championship a lot more exciting/fulfilling. As long as we finish above wednesday & leeds, i'm happy.

The previous barnsley owner has terminal cancer and probably won't last the season.

Unfortunately, this transfer window will show just how completely twattish our owner is.

From afar, the PL seems an unhappy experience. Perhaps if i was there week in week out it would mean more but it never did, maybe thats me but as on a another post, football was always about the social context, good performances on the pitch were merely a bonus.

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Thu 21 Dec 2017 4:14 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Share

Re: Barnsley

Toronto Ted wrote:
Misura wrote:
Toronto Ted wrote:

But more likely to be playing PL football than you lot as long as I have a  hole in mine wink

Quite probably. However, i must admit, i do find the championship a lot more exciting/fulfilling. As long as we finish above wednesday & leeds, i'm happy.

The previous barnsley owner has terminal cancer and probably won't last the season.

Unfortunately, this transfer window will show just how completely twattish our owner is.



From afar, the PL seems an unhappy experience. Perhaps if i was there week in week out it would mean more but it never did, maybe thats me but as on a another post, football was always about the social context, good performances on the pitch were merely a bonus.

Agree

Share

Re: Barnsley

Toronto Ted wrote:

The other way of looking at it...
None of these clubs are saddled with delusions of grandeur nor the weight of expectation from the fans who see their club as a sleeping giant...  Potential investors are more likely to go for the favourites, guaranteed return,  or the rank outsider, small investment and potential huge return.
I imagine there's a sense of hope, adventure and enjoying it while it lasts at these clubs unlike us, you and many others...

Just look at earlier on in the season at our place ... mass hysteria followed by the obvious questioning the manager, players ....
For sure the potential is there but the baggage is something else

See highlighted in bold as to maybe why the Sheiks invested in Man. City and not other "bigger" clubs they could easily have afforded.
If the purchased club has little history then the new owners become the story of the club's success, not comparing to previous history-makers like Revie, Busby, Paisley etc

Who do you think you are, Bremner?

Share

Re: Barnsley

Gee'or, i know you're being a contrarian. They invested in city because it had a history, was located in the country's 2nd city, had a potential pull of 40k a home game and had the potential to have it's infra structure improved. They got fantastic value for money. Now when they look in the rear view mirror they see your boys.

Man united? Never in the field of football has so much made by so many of so little. Masters of self promotion. wink

Share

Re: Barnsley

Misura wrote:

Gee'or, i know you're being a contrarian. They invested in city because it had a history, was located in the country's 2nd city, had a potential pull of 40k a home game and had the potential to have it's infra structure improved. They got fantastic value for money. Now when they look in the rear view mirror they see your boys.

Man united? Never in the field of football has so much made by so many of so little. Masters of self promotion. wink

Likes

Share

Re: Barnsley

Cordshoes... I have no idea what the point of your post is other than that its another dig at City and money ... the irony eh...

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Thu 21 Dec 2017 6:01 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Share

Re: Barnsley

Got a decent youth set up at Barnsley. Why cant they be the next big thing?

Id like one of these nouveau purchases to build an Ajax style academy creating a community project club instead of something like Citeh which is a brand new AbuDhabi shopping centre crammed with high end shops of a football club. New, clinical, glitzy and devoid of any soul and character.

I went to watch Brommapojkana in the outskirts of Western Stockholm once. They're a shitty 1st div Swedish team with a conference level stadium but they are the biggest football club in terms of players. They've got 1500 teams. Are they any good, probably not, they've not turned out any great talents of note like Senrab or Gateshead boys or whatever.. What they have done is make sure thousands of kids play football weekly and feel part of a community. Blend that with Premier League team with all the trappings for the foreign investment and you're on the way.

I'll be watching Barnsley with keen interest. Citeh can fuck right off. And the other Tourist clubs

Share

Re: Barnsley

placidcasual wrote:

Id like one of these nouveau purchases to build an Ajax style academy creating a community project club i

This

Take off hosers ...

Share

Re: Barnsley

I agree re the ability to instantly improve a  poor (United territory) part of town, with the council easily compliant.
My comparison was with why buy Barnsley and not other bigger Yorkshire clubs. The Arabs endless pot could have bought any PL club.
However clubs like United, Liverpool and the London clubs already have a strong history so they would just be continuing with the cycle of success. Taking a club that had won nowt for over 30 years makes the Arabs the story of the success. City fans have made banners thanking them whereas United (and Liverpool to a degree) have rallied against some unknown getting involved. Nevermind the Glazers taking a billion out in 12 years, we protested against Murdoch taking over in 98/99 because we didn't like who he was and his background. The Sky empire would have put net money in and probably given MUFC an ever better advantage at a time when were the winning team.

p.s. Gee'or?

Last edited by cordshoes (Thu 21 Dec 2017 7:15 pm)

Who do you think you are, Bremner?

Share

Re: Barnsley

cordshoes wrote:

I agree re the ability to instantly improve a  poor (United territory) part of town, with the council easily compliant.
My comparison was with why buy Barnsley and not other bigger Yorkshire clubs. The Arabs endless pot could have bought any PL club.
However clubs like United, Liverpool and the London clubs already have a strong history so they would just be continuing with the cycle of success. Taking a club that had won nowt for over 30 years makes the Arabs the story of the success. City fans have made banners thanking them whereas United (and Liverpool to a degree) have rallied against some unknown getting involved. Nevermind the Glazers taking a billion out in 12 years, we protested against Murdoch taking over in 98/99 because we didn't like who he was and his background. The Sky empire would have put net money in and probably given MUFC an ever better advantage at a time when were the winning team.

p.s. Gee'or?

Too much money, why spend more when the net result will be the same ?
We're all equally shite at the moment ... bar your B team who'll be back down soon.

Take off hosers ...

Share

Re: Barnsley

cordshoes wrote:

I agree re the ability to instantly improve a  poor (United territory) part of town, with the council easily compliant.
My comparison was with why buy Barnsley and not other bigger Yorkshire clubs. The Arabs endless pot could have bought any PL club.
However clubs like United, Liverpool and the London clubs already have a strong history so they would just be continuing with the cycle of success. Taking a club that had won nowt for over 30 years makes the Arabs the story of the success. City fans have made banners thanking them whereas United (and Liverpool to a degree) have rallied against some unknown getting involved. Nevermind the Glazers taking a billion out in 12 years, we protested against Murdoch taking over in 98/99 because we didn't like who he was and his background. The Sky empire would have put net money in and probably given MUFC an ever better advantage at a time when were the winning team.

p.s. Gee'or?

“Gee’or” or "Ge'ore"

Translation: “Give over!” or “Shut up”

When someone thinks you’re talking utter rubbish in Sheffield, they let you know by saying “ge’ore”. The end of this phrase is stretched out as much as is humanly possible so it sounds more like “ge’ooooooooooooorrrreee” than anything else. Don’t be fooled – this phrase is by no means aggressive. It’s actually an affectionate way of letting someone know that you think they’re a moron. smile

Last edited by Misura (Thu 21 Dec 2017 7:32 pm)

Share