Re: Album of the year

Just getting into Paul Drapers album.

It's really good

I am just a common breed

Misura wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

He’s got a unique voice. Heard him on Gilles Peterson.

Think he went to a school in London that produces musicans. Loyal Carner and Kate Tempest (another of the bretheren?).

The BRIT school, where so many of these organically occurring entertainers went to school. Let 'em leave, let the dust settle, invest some money on them, develop a persona and pretend that they've been discovered. I know kate tempest has got talent, but the wheels move a lot easier when you've been to brits, goldsmiths & your dad is a big hitting entertainment/media lawyer in that there london.

I was thinking the same, it's all very London isn't it and never going to give us a Beatles, they either come across as tortured Tipex sniffers or doing this instead of going to Oxford to read Art History.

Then I've tipped Penguin Cafe as well, where the lad did read Art History at Cambridge, but his Dad was ace so I'll let him off, but maybe I'm middle-class after all *typing this from my 4 bed in Tokyo*

A simple city boy with wild grown country tastes

king of the slums wrote:
Misura wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

He’s got a unique voice. Heard him on Gilles Peterson.

Think he went to a school in London that produces musicans. Loyal Carner and Kate Tempest (another of the bretheren?).

The BRIT school, where so many of these organically occurring entertainers went to school. Let 'em leave, let the dust settle, invest some money on them, develop a persona and pretend that they've been discovered. I know kate tempest has got talent, but the wheels move a lot easier when you've been to brits, goldsmiths & your dad is a big hitting entertainment/media lawyer in that there london.

I was thinking the same, it's all very London isn't it and never going to give us a Beatles, they either come across as tortured Tipex sniffers or doing this instead of going to Oxford to read Art History.

Then I've tipped Penguin Cafe as well, where the lad did read Art History at Cambridge, but his Dad was ace so I'll let him off, but maybe I'm middle-class after all *typing this from my 4 bed in Tokyo*

I love my cynical wife. Her silver spoon radar is strong. She's cant be arsed with Kate Tempest for the faux accent and the trying to sound like an urban poet when clearly she's a posh kid.

The missus thinks poetry is shit, which I agree with also. Particularly when Cerys Matthews is wittering it on the wireless..

I think that Tempest's father took the long route to get to where he is and it's well deserved, but she grew up in Brockley, it has a conservation area, it's not a ghetto.

Being in a band is now a career choice for the middle classes. Marcus Mumford needs stringing up by his knackers until they turn blue. He was at the grenfell tower service at st. pauls. Same with adele. I'm pretty sure neither had any connection with the place.

BRIT school? Adele, Dane fucking bowers, jessie j, the kooks, king krule, leona lewis, kaite melua (wogan discovered her? my arse), kate nash, rizzle fucking kicks and amy winehouse. In fact adele, jessie j & leona lewis sat next to each other, and yet leona lewis is 'discovered' on x factor?

Totally agree
The music industry now has a well defined career pathway
Although it is still tough to get a break unless You know someone who knows someone
My lad graduated with a good degree in music production from a well renowned music college, and even though he's had tracks played on radio one has a show on Reprezent ( the radio station based in Brixton Prince Ginger visited earlier in the week) he is finding it difficult to get a break in the industry.

ambition beyond ability