Topic: Living Abroad

Soon as my kids are old enough to live on there own, I AM FUCKING OFF TO LIVE IN THE SUN.

But where?

Re: Living Abroad

It's our plan.

Spain or France are the thinking at the moment.

Surely somewhere affordable for the kids to visit.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Europe.

Doesnt have to be t shirt weather all year round but not like English weather. Possibly South - Portugal, Italy, Croatia.

Not going to knock it...

If we could afford it I'd fuck off to a tropical island in a heartbeat and open a shop selling white linen and Havaianas flip flops to divvy tourists big_smile

My dream has always been to open a golf driving range ( basic ... ) with a bar in Bali $10 for 50 balls (when you consider that a round of golf + equipment hire is like $500 ...)  one day, one day

Point of order ... learn the lingo

Take off hosers ...

Always been on my my mind but now I don't think i fancy a permanent move.. I would be happy not being in England from September to April, summat like that.

We'd happily do North Wales and a hotter place.

Are we talking retiring or working still?

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

scootay wrote:

Always been on my my mind but now I don't think i fancy a permanent move.. I would be happy not being in England from September to April, summat like that.

Snowbirds they call them in the US. I know a bloke who lives in a RV and does this. Arizona in the Winter and northern Colorado, Wyoming in summer.

I think about canaries this time of year but when Im there I think I couldnt live there it would be like groundhog day.

Discussed buying somewhere in Lanzarote to rent out April - October and living there in winter and in uk in summer. Might still do this but not enamoured with the vibe. Might look at somewhere more interesting to live

My girlfriend would literally murder someone to live abroad.

We both love travel. She drives 3 miles a day to work. I’m very lucky and could end up anywhere at the drop of a hat.

I rather like coming home.

She rather likes leaving it.

placidcasual wrote:

Soon as my kids are old enough to live on there own, I AM FUCKING OFF TO LIVE IN THE SUN.

But where?

Depends on what your budget & tastes are and what you intend to do when you get there, dunnit. France (limoges downwards) or spain are the stand outs. The less touristy greek islands are also a good bet. Plenty of value for money if you know where to lot & where to avoid. You'll need something to fill your time and something to earn £. Otherwise you'll drink yourself through your money. If the money stretches to a BtL in the uk, you've nailed it. Gives you something to come back to if things don't work out or you fall ill.

What is the difference between pop and rock n' roll? You might get fucked.

placidcasual wrote:

But where?

For me its going to be the Algarve anywhere from Loule to Moncarapacho , estoi or fuseta , rent longterm over winter months and change where you stay each year , as Misura said always keep a bolt-hole in the UK for the summer or an unexpected circumstance .

Here you go placid have a look on here , https://www.longtermlettings.com

Last edited by hendersonjones (Thu 28 Dec 2017 12:23 pm)

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

placidcasual wrote:
scootay wrote:

Snowbirds they call them in the US. I know a bloke who lives in a RV and does this. Arizona in the Winter and northern Colorado, Wyoming in summer.

I think about canaries this time of year but when Im there I think I couldnt live there it would be like groundhog day.

Discussed buying somewhere in Lanzarote to rent out April - October and living there in winter and in uk in summer. Might still do this but not enamoured with the vibe. Might look at somewhere more interesting to live

I think about canaries almost year round smile

My mum used to do it.

She used to rent her house out on a 6 month tenancy agreement.  The rent paid for her rent in mijas and she got different jobs there

Apologies if i'm repeating myself or stealing other peoples previous comments, but since i've come off the booze i've developed really bad deja vous/flashbacks/false memories anyhows....... I had an argument with a mate about me attending a utd v coventry away match in the early 2000's with him, that he is adamant never took place. I can remember it & him being there perfectly.

I've reckon anywhere that the romans/greeks lived in europe and cavemen lived is advisable. You can live comfortably and grow stuff, without either summers or the winters killing you. It also allows you to supplement your consumption by self grown food and minimises your energy consumption with solar panels and milder winters. Also potential for food fuel. Also think about being next to a river for water power.

It's good to be no more that an hour away from either an airport, port or decent sized hospital. France has a big fucking fat swathe of area which hits the spot. http://www.jbfrenchhouses.co.uk

The green coast of spain is nice and good value for money. http://www.costaverdeproperties.com/ Plus gore's stopping ground in the hills above granada is decent value.

I don't know enough about portugal to comment. I've only been to porto, and was surprised about how backward it was.

I've known people sell up move over to the costa's/greek isles, get stuck into the ex pat lifestyle and made themselves ill within 10 - 15 years with cancer/heart attack/diabetes and had to come back for medical help and couldn't afford to buy anything back in the UK, and have basically fucked it. Unpleasant as it is, imagine the worst possible situation and plan for it.

Last edited by Misura (Thu 28 Dec 2017 2:08 pm)

A subject that I come across more and more. More questions than answers and a bit disjointed but here goes.
Near Airport, don't spend a fortune on car hire, taxis etc.
Mainland rather than Islands.
Keep busy find a hobby, plenty that didn't even drink when they went became alkies and died there.
Don't put all your eggs in one basket, keep a decent size property in UK to come back to, plenty have thrown everything in to lives abroad and come back penniless.
Some got bored, retired at 60 had a good 10 years then came back, missing Grandkids, Grandkids being born, health issues etc.
One couple couldn't stand heat in July/Aug and came back to UK every year.
Winter abroad and Summer in UK if it can be done seems a good idea.
Try before you buy and don't throw everything in, keep something back.
If I knew all the answers and had the money I'd be there now.

Salient advice Mis.

Some deep thought there..

Should be able to have a house in uk and the roman empire come retirement. Bit of shuffling, gambling and down sizing.

Train stations are good as well.

https://parisbytrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/tgv_map.jpg

There's a magic triangle between Agen/Pau/Carcassone and another between Rodez/Toulouse/Montpellier, that tick all the boxes. But please don't tell anybody.

The yellow dots are sites of paleolithic cave paintings sites and they appeared to have absolutely fucking loved the dordogne and green coast about 17,000 years ago.

https://mathildasanthropologyblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/grotmap.gif

Last edited by Misura (Thu 28 Dec 2017 3:41 pm)

Train stations across the Algarve (left and right) from faro in the centre you can travel upto Lisbon

http://www.outdoor-tours.com/images/algarve-train-map1.jpg

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

Impressive hj, and there's the côa valley as well.

Misura wrote:

Train stations are good as well.

https://parisbytrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/tgv_map.jpg

There's a magic triangle between Agen/Pau/Carcassone and another between Rodez/Toulouse/Montpellier, that tick all the boxes. But please don't tell anybody.

The yellow dots are sites of paleolithic cave paintings sites and they appeared to have absolutely fucking loved the dordogne and green coast about 17,000 years ago.

https://mathildasanthropologyblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/grotmap.gif

Costa Verde is like that cos it pisses it down 9 months of the year. Dordgone is full of Nigels. That too is green as fuck for the same reason.

Im thinking Algarve or Cost de Luz maybe if that part of the world.

Plenty of French town’s left on the Dordogne Placid.

Lovely bit of the world.

South of Bergerac gets very Dordogneshire.

East up the river returns to normality very quickly.

Girlfriends parents now retired do 6 months there and have their place in the lakes. Amazing life.

I do wonder of me and our lass would get fed up with each other without an escape route every other day or so.  I think moving from my mates would make life pretty intense and maybe a bit lonely.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Loose Lips wrote:

Plenty of French town’s left on the Dordogne Placid.

Lovely bit of the world.

South of Bergerac gets very Dordogneshire.

East up the river returns to normality very quickly.

Girlfriends parents now retired do 6 months there and have their place in the lakes. Amazing life.

I bet they appreciate a good late stone age cave painting, comprising of, but not limited to, animals, human figures, and abstract signs.

Last edited by Misura (Thu 28 Dec 2017 7:43 pm)

Ive done France from Biarritz to Monaco and Dunkirk to Roscoff. Its not the place I want to retire to.