Topic: Playing Music in 2018

Playing Music in 2018

It’s fucking weird these days isn’t it?

I’ve resisted streaming (for reasons that now I can’t explain) but I’m going to make the leap to Spotify Premium.

I’ve had a strange fear of it.

I think it’s because I can’t just have a list of everything I own music-wise.

I forget music recommendations quicker than I can give them out.

I was going back through all the end of years lists and everything is on Spotify.

Plus all my weird disco edits, surprisingly.

Playlists and shuffle. Odd. Anyway diving in.

If anyone has some decent Spotify playlists we should share them on another thread.

Re: Playing Music in 2018

I realise everyone’s been doing this for 5 years obviously.

I'm trialling Apple Music.

You just know that the chaps at Spotify will be a gang of cunts.

Allegedly.

Expanding Man wrote:

I'm trialling Apple Music.

You just know that the chaps at Spotify will be a gang of cunts.

Allegedly.

And the Cupertino boys aren't ??

Still old skool me - cd's all the way

All about the royalties CBIT, paying dues...

Hard to pay dues when Apple Music has only some of the tracks.

Yeah it’s shitty.

Part of what put me off.

I went for Apple Music initially but fucked it off when they deleted all my non-i-Tunes Store bought tracks off my machine. I had to spend three hours on the phone to a fella in Portugal before I got them back. Basically, they want to dictate what is in your record collection.

Switched to Spotify Premium last Christmas as a gift for all the family. Best thing I ever did. Discovered loads of new music, have all me current faves to hand. Portable across all platforms. Marvellous.

When it comes to music, Apple is a sour fruit.

In true old fart style, I'll be playing CDs & vinyl albums on my stereo and 45s on my Ami jukebox or on a cheapo turntable bought for the purpose  (I live to regret selling my Dansette on leaving the UK).

"In a time of hedonists and belly dancers/wise men draw the blinds and bolt the doors" ("Anno Domini" by George Barker)

Do the obscure band test, if they have enough of your lesser known likes go with them.

Love Spotify. I use Shazam a lot to get to know new tunes or old ones you don't know the names of. Build a Shazam list and go laterally from there.

Also build set list playlists. See a band and build a play list in line with their set. Love it.

I have Spotify premium and it's great .. most stuff is on there.. wouldn't use iTunes ever. Never have and never will.

I use various websites etc for new music and news plus the heads up from other people I know. YouTube is good for investigating too. I like how Spotify does the related artists bit and also creates playlists based on my listening history.

Buy I still buy all my music because I like to think the artists are getting their dues.  So anything I like I either buy on album or CD, mainly CD. 

For example, all the albums in my top of the year list I have bought on a physical format.

Home taping is killing music

Buying vinyl and creating a collection for my kid and Im happy to pay for something good.
I use Apple music to listen to stuff before I buy and/or stuff Im not arsed about.

Also have Mix and Soundcloud for mates playlists

Take off hosers ...

I've got a blinding Potify playlist.  Nice little Sandstrom stereo, nice Sony headphones and a penchant for a YouTube journey.

I've also got NAD gear in the loft but can't be arsed setting it up.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

I've had Spotify Premium on and off for a couple of years, usually depending on what promos they have on. Just got 3 months for 9.99. Had Apple but not keen. Still play CDs and the odd 78.

Site stalwart.

I got an Echo for christmas and initially had amazon music but it is shit so have just gone to spotify.

I have not really explored it and made playlists and what not yet but it seems good.

How do you share playlists?

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

I got an Echo for christmas and initially had amazon music but it is shit so have just gone to spotify.

I have not really explored it and made playlists and what not yet but it seems good.

How do you share playlists?

You can share playlists and collaborate them. It's boss.

Make your playlist then click on it and look for the circular icon with three horizontal dots in it. Click on that then it gives an option to share to loads of different mediums.

Sweet.  I'll have a look.

Aim Low and miss...

What's this? A fucking fly-by?

On one of my random add to playlist selections I have an acoustic Watching The Wheels by Lennon, really good.

Site stalwart.

Got spotify last month.  Have discovered some great old tracks I thought I'd lost forever.

If someone works out how to share play lists then please share that knowledge.  We could have an OMJ spotify massive.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

space wrote:

Got spotify last month.  Have discovered some great old tracks I thought I'd lost forever.

If someone works out how to share play lists then please share that knowledge.  We could have an OMJ spotify massive.

You can build collaboration playlists.

Who ever is in the group can add them.

It’s finally here.

The OMJ Jukebox.

Any volunteers to rebuild ‘What Are You Listening To Right Now?’

Only 195 pages.

Any takers?

https://spotlistr.herokuapp.com/#/search/textbox