Topic: Professor Jordan Peterson

I hope you went out smiling like a child, into the cool remnant of a dream.

Re: Professor Jordan Peterson

Smart guy, I enjoy listening to him.

Got to him through Rogan.

He has absolutely rinsed her. She's used to interviewing politicians and made herself look stupid.

He's been in London this week on a sold out tour & i've missed him.

Rogan's top of my pod list at the moment, he's a very interesting character. A contradiction, but opens up all different avenues like Peteron, Terence McKenna, Paul Stamets and Bret Weinstein.

Wow, she's a fucking idiot! "What gives you the right to judge people's relationships?" - shrugs "Errr, I'm a clinical psychologist." She's clearly taken a position beforehand and is trying to nail him as a sexist pig, instead of engaging in enlightened conversation with someone who knows what they're talking about.

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

He's one smart cookie!
Slippery fucker to boot.

Enjoyed that.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

"People have within them this capacity to set the world straight and in doing so you find the meaning that sustains you in life"

She's after the broad brush strokes and he's a fine line engraver.

She does the classic sensationalist seeker's trick of assuming an observation is an assertion.

I'd like to see him interviewed properly by someone who listened.

I enjoyed that. Cheers for posting. Gonna look at some of his stuff on youtube.

Rudi wrote:

She's after the broad brush strokes and he's a fine line engraver.

She does the classic sensationalist seeker's trick of assuming an observation is an assertion.

I'd like to see him interviewed properly by someone who listened.

I've followed him for a while, and while I don't agree with everything he says, he's worth a listen. He's gone from an unknown to a major internet celebrity in about 12mths. He does have a habit of attracting trump fan boys, but i wouldn't say he courts them. I got into him through joe rogan and i've got his latest book on order. He has another one called 'maps of meaning', which is meant to be heavier going.

It's a strange one, cathy newman isn't an idiot by any stretch of the imagination and an experienced interviewer, but she blazes in right from the start and it gets worse for her from there on in. It's as if shes wildly swinging at him, and hasn't done her research. He's got a good brain between his ears, can quickly link brain & mouth and has been asked similar questions 1000 times before. He's also taught at Harvard. She ends up looking and sounding like someone rowing in wetherspoons. When he answers her question regarding right of free speech over right not to be offended, it visibly stuns her. The other comment that foxes her is when he refers to the lack of scientific proof, as if that is an irrelevance. He gets off her for 30 mins in an increasingly belligerent style and fair play he keeps his cool and tries to answer every question in a thoughtful, referenced manner, others would've simply walked off. If CH4 was hoping to get that response or hoped she'd make a fool of him, then the opposite has happened. It's pulled in over 1.5m views in 48hrs and opened CH4 up to questions of impartialism/professionalism/etc.

It's also interesting that he is now being described as 'dangerous' by some quarters.

Last edited by Misura (Fri 19 Jan 2018 11:02 am)

Says a lot about today's culture when an erudite clinical psychologist with evidence based views is seen as dangerous. I quite like Cathy Newman and liked the way she stood up to that Milo Yianoppolis nobhouse last year but she needs to wind her neck in and listen here. Way out of her depth.

Never argue black and white with someone whose career is based on multifactorial research. They, usually, have the full Pantone range in their colour box.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Commentary on the interview:

Peterson's talk in London:

Very interesting. I can't decide wether it's down to people just not listening or its an attempt to control / hi-jack the narrative.

One thing I have noticed recently, whenever I've gone on regional / national TV or radio (not that often) there is always a production assistant who insists on going through what will be said about four or five times. Clarifying what the bullet points are and the responses - "OK, you're going to say this, and then so and so will say that." Weird. And a bit disconcerting.

I find all this really interesting

The first guy talks about corporate life and he is 100% spot on.  The number of times people leave a meeting with totally opposite recollections of what has been said is amazing.  Part of my job is to ensure that 'stuff' gets done for clients and I learned pretty quickly that 'stuff' needed to be agreed up front and in blood before actually doing anything

The amount of times I went in to a room after 2-3 months all full of myself having delivered 'stuff' only for half the attendees to look at me and ask about where this,  that,  and the other was is incredible

I now just add an extra 2 days at the start of every assignment and title it "Executive Alignment" and charge them for it big_smile

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

I find all this really interesting

The first guy talks about corporate life and he is 100% spot on.  The number of times people leave a meeting with totally opposite recollections of what has been said is amazing.  Part of my job is to ensure that 'stuff' gets done for clients and I learned pretty quickly that 'stuff' needed to be agreed up front and in blood before actually doing anything

The amount of times I went in to a room after 2-3 months all full of myself having delivered 'stuff' only for half the attendees to look at me and ask about where this,  that,  and the other was is incredible

I now just add an extra 2 days at the start of every assignment and title it "Executive Alignment" and charge them for it big_smile

^^^^This

“He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.”

I've got his book on order on the strength of that How To Academy video, couldn't come at a better time, need some direction..

suck'ahs to the side I know you hate my 98'

He'll end up getting shot at this rate.

Short clip

Full interview

Critique

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/cat … 70031.html

Last edited by Misura (Mon 22 Jan 2018 6:26 pm)

He's certainly riding a wave at the moment - just hope he doesn't take either a self-induced or outside-assisted tumble

He has a lot of interesting things to say and,  if you listen to what he says,  much of it is thought provoking and questioning assumed norms

We need more people like him in all aspects of life - rocking the status quo,  making people think

This might be a naive question but why are so many "alt right" fan boys latching onto him? Seen a few youtube clips of him and there doesn't seem much to argue about: - stop being a man-child, shape up, take responsibility and your life will have more meaning. Seems pretty straightforward and uncontroversial.

Is he being used to back up the whole right wing argument of -your responsible for your own failures nobody else is, so if your fucked its your own fault and welfare systems such be stripped back, you shouldn't be helped and its ok to pay shitty wages for certain jobs, "deserving poor" sort of shit or has he said anything a bit more iffy with racial implications? 

I know the interview with Cathy Newman focussed on gender politics but again I didn't see any glaring issues there. Women don't really want a waste of space for a partner do they?

I sense its because he is talking about men from a positive point of view which is a bit counter-cultural at the moment in the sense that we (or some of us, not me obviously) are responsible for rape, war, genocide, wearing red trousers and all round cuntery whereas women are not. I think the mens liberation movement, alt right and all those other Nazi types  misunderstand him and just pick up on the broad theme.

Actually I'm still trying to work out if he is masking more authoritarian views but on what I've seen so far he is quite persuasive. I'm not sure that his views do not stand in harmony with the basic tenets of gender equality. I sense he is trying to take on some the of the lazier assumptions made in relation to gender issues. Some basic facts are inescapable though: some men rape and otherwise terrify women. the law and society pay lip service to condemning this and punishing for it but the social environment in which men get away with behaviour you would be shocked at if it happened to to your daughter is only changing very slowly. See the FT today about some charity party when men get to grope young female catering staff with apparent impunity.

That's enough disjointed and random thoughts....

Good answer. The world is undoubtedly fucked up because of the actions of some men. We all know that tarring men negatively as a collective group because of this is not helpful and a more than a bit mad. I've never really engaged with the types of radical feminists who do this because, what's the point? I remember at Uni just trying to stay out of the way of the "Millie Taint" types of lecturers who would scowl at you for opening a door for them. I remember one such lecturer telling a seminar group that all men are potential rapists and thinking, 'well I'm not, I've not got it in me'. I also remember another lecturer who when I told her that I was struggling a bit cos one of my mates had just hung himself, said "men - pathetic" and shook her head. Fucksake.

I think that he came to the attention of the alt-right due to his complaints relating to the use of gender pro-nouns and specifically the passing of the C-16 Bill in Canada. His topics are also attractive to the alt-right crowd because they run in direct contradiction to the current main stream media position regarding gender, politics, Christianity, etc. This is the start of his infamy/fame, and basically sums up with the people he has to deal with:

There is an irony in the fact that the filmer of the video is demanding respect from Dr Peterson, but shows him so little themselves.

We are currently in a situation where what says goes, even when it is without factual/scientific basis, and when this rubs up against a contrary fact/scientific argument, you get the C4 interview. It is pure car crash, and has been subsequently spun to change the narrative. Her position of debate is basically i believe X, my freinds believe X, we were taught X at university, my work colleagues believe X, therefore X is irrefutably correct. He basically spends the whole interview pointing out that in many cases scientific research, shows otherwise. Not just his research, but the research of others.

If you turn the sound down and just look at Cathy Newman's body language as the interview progresses, her annoyance & contempt for him develops over the piece.

I personally think that there has been a deliberate reduction in debate and reductivism on issues. He brings a multi factorial dimension to issues that have been made single factor/identity politics. I thought it was incredibly illuminating how the BBC 5 radio interview turned on the issue of 'hate speech'. The male presenter showed his hand and unwittingly denigrated his own radio station's advert for Cyrille Regis in his haste.

I believe and have for a while that men in general and young men in particular are struggling to operate in the modern world and the issue needs to be addressed. As is pointed out, suicide is a massive problem in men under 40, and so is disease related to destructive behavior. The idea that someone is addressing this / proffering advice is somehow wrong is worrying. Cathy Newman basically says something to the effect 'The majority of your followers are men, are you concerned by this?'. There currently seems to be a widely held view that women not only have to succeed, but men have to suffer for there to be true equality, and that a cry for help from a women has to be answered and is the sign of misogyny & the evil of the patriarchy, whilst a cry for help from a man is a good thing, a sign of their inherent weakness and has been issued as a result of the patriarchy and their privilege being threatened.

I've never see an academic get a reception like he did in the London video.

Last edited by Misura (Wed 24 Jan 2018 5:43 pm)

The posh dinner where 130 waitresses got touched up was the lead piece on BBC's 1 o'clock news

Apparently GOSH and another hospital have sent the money back and the Bank of England have withdrawn a prize of lunch with MArk whatisface

It's wrong for blokes to force themselves onto women but it's also wrong to act outraged when it happens after the whole thing has been set-up in that way

Every group is becoming radicalised these days - can't wait for it to be the WASPs turn

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Every group is becoming radicalised these days - can't wait for it to be the WASPs turn

WASPS are not allowed to do that ever again. That mad German cunt 80s years ago spoilt it for all of us smile Seriously, the extent of polarisation that seems to be happening in people's political views worries me. Social media and the echo chamber effect doesn't help, along with the algorithms that sites like Youtube use. If you start watching a young conservatives video on there and just let the auto selections keep playing you'll be watching golden dawn stuff before long. They do it to keep people watching, it selects progressively extreme options. Quite disturbing when you think of the impressionable minds out there.

Mis, that's an excellent post btw. I find all this really interesting and its got me properly thinking for the first time in a good while instead of fannying about through waves of daily confusion about the world. One thing in that Cathy Newman interview that I'm not sure about is when she gets him onto the thing about lobsters and their social hierarchies. I'm always a bit dubious about comparing scientific findings in animals to humans when it comes to social systems. They don't have the same conceptual apparatus as us and are not embedded in anything like the worlds of meaning that we are with shared language, culture, the capacity for rational thought etc. I can see currieforengland's point about the possibility of authoritarian views in that but still...I've ordered his book. No doubt I will get a third of the way through, get bored of the waffle and it'll sit on the shelf for years like most of the books of that ilk that I try to apply my monkey mind attention span to but we'll see. Cheers.