Re: Professor Jordan Peterson

fuzzy dunlop wrote:
Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Every group is becoming radicalised these days - can't wait for it to be the WASPs turn

WASPS are not allowed to do that ever again. That mad German cunt 80s years ago spoilt it for all of us smile Seriously, the extent of polarisation that seems to be happening in people's political views worries me. Social media and the echo chamber effect doesn't help, along with the algorithms that sites like Youtube use. If you start watching a young conservatives video on there and just let the auto selections keep playing you'll be watching golden dawn stuff before long. They do it to keep people watching, it selects progressively extreme options. Quite disturbing when you think of the impressionable minds out there.

Mis, that's an excellent post btw. I find all this really interesting and its got me properly thinking for the first time in a good while instead of fannying about through waves of daily confusion about the world. One thing in that Cathy Newman interview that I'm not sure about is when she gets him onto the thing about lobsters and their social hierarchies. I'm always a bit dubious about comparing scientific findings in animals to humans when it comes to social systems. They don't have the same conceptual apparatus as us and are not embedded in anything like the worlds of meaning that we are with shared language, culture, the capacity for rational thought etc. I can see currieforengland's point about the possibility of authoritarian views in that but still...I've ordered his book. No doubt I will get a third of the way through, get bored of the waffle and it'll sit on the shelf for years like most of the books of that ilk that I try to apply my monkey mind attention span to but we'll see. Cheers.

Of course,  by buying the book,  you're now implicated as an ALT-right sympathiser.  People will search through your social media history and pull up every -ist thing you've ever written and you will be demonised 

If I wasn't so anti them,  I'd suggest this was some sort of government driven conspiracy theory - keep everyone sweating the small stuff while they screw the World in front of our very eyes

I've linked this before but it speaks a lot (to me at least) to what I think might be going on!  Just substitute beer/drugs for social media!

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Re: Professor Jordan Peterson

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Of course,  by buying the book,  you're now implicated as an ALT-right sympathiser.  People will search through your social media history and pull up every -ist thing you've ever written and you will be demonised

Shit. The one about having a thing for slightly chubby ginger lesbians will get me crucified. I once said on facebook that Dapper Laughs needs a boot in his front bum for telling rape jokes. That's good right? Perhaps shouldn't have used the term front bum. Its a minefield.