Topic: Think I need help

I have a serious addiction to shopping. Can't stop buying clothes and I buy shit loads.

So far this month I have bought

1 pair of trainers
2 pairs of doc martens desert boots
1 pair of Clark's desert trek
1 overcoat/mac
1 levi jean jacket
1 short button up burgundy jean jacket
2 pairs of jeans
1 long sleeve polo
1 short sleeve knitted polo
4 t shirts
A watch

Don't need any of them and I've already got about 20 items I've not wore yet. But it's all nice gear and I'm fuckin mint at shopping.  Spent about 600 quid but I've got over 1500 quids worth.

I've got two fitted wardrobes, three chests of drawers and they're full. I'm having to buy an ottoman bed for extra storage.

I have a serious problem

Re: Think I need help

Thought things were tight Scoots?

Jesus, I don't spend 600 squid a year on clobber !!

....and as for denim jackets!!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

scootay wrote:

Spent about 600 quid but I've got over 1500 quids worth.

That sounds like a big part of your problem - that you think you're one up on the shops when they're actually up. All it is is a number, they don't have a real monetary value after a certain point.

Site stalwart.

So far this month I’ve bought, 3 pairs of under pants and a golf top . About £50 spent.
I am on the lookout for a lightweight spring jacket (not denim).
Your right, you do need help.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Get back into selling cars, no money = no shopping problem.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Used to be me that.

Have a think about the reasons why you do it.

There's probably two reasons.

Can't you take up golf instead? Go and play at a municipal somewhere. It also takes up 4 or 5 hours, so you have no time for shopping.

'Welcome @49ers to our family ...together to make the history of our glorious Club'   Kim J. U.

I'm not depressed, far from it. I think I've only been down once in my life and that was a couple of years ago.

I've always been in to my clobber and I've always had a bit of an addiction but it's getting worse year on year.. money is tight but PayPal give me two weeks credit.. very fuckin dangerous because I can buy stuff without any money and think fuck it I'll find it in the next two weeks. Anytime I have any spare money I spend it. I don't have one single bit of spare money , never had savings in the bank.. I'm spend spend spend. Maybe because my dad died young? Don't know?. I would rather have a shite car and good clothes and plenty of holidays. I guess a lot of people spend their money on their car.. that's something I don't do. I've done dry January so in my mind I've saved that money by not going out.

But I'll spot something I like and then think once I've bought that I'm done for a while.. but then I see something else. I used to hide new clothes from my ex sometimes.. then we'd go out and I'd have a new shirt but lie and say I've had it ages and she's going mad

As Expanding Man says,  find out why you're doing it - you've said before you have an addictive personality and this is just another manifestation of that

Failing that,  try meditation whilst listening to some calming music.  I hear Frank Ocean works well.  Canned Heat failing that

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Mitaman wrote:

Can't you take up golf instead? Go and play at a municipal somewhere. It also takes up 4 or 5 hours, so you have no time for shopping.

Golf clobber can be quite addictive..and expensive to boot!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

The two areas are:

1) How clothes make you feel - define you, maybe elevate you.
2) How shopping makes you feel from an happiness zap. (I don't like putting an before a non-vowel).

They are intrinsically linked and cannot be separated.

I was a clothes horse once, for a long period of time. Had the knack of what to pick and how to wear it. It came easily, people said/say I dress well.

I enjoyed it all and if I had the money, no scratch that, if I had the personality need, then I'd be all over it.

The thing I regret though is not building a proper wardrobe, with the classics, the timeless, the quality.

I've been buying the same version of the same look (more or less) for forty years.

Expanding Man wrote:

The two areas are:

2) How shopping makes you feel from an happiness zap. (I don't like putting an before a non-vowel).

I was a clothes horse once, for a long period of time. Had the knack of what to pick and how to wear it. It came easily, people said/say I dress well.

I enjoyed it all and if I had the money, no scratch that, if I had the personality need, then I'd be all over it.

The thing I regret though is not building a proper wardrobe, with the classics, the timeless, the quality.

I've been buying the same version of the same look (more or less) for forty years.

I don't mix it up much either .  The girlfriend said I always look good but I always look the same.  And I'm alright with that. I don't walk in a pub and think look at me don't I look mint. I just genuinely love clothes. Stems from being in to music and football for me. Early youth as a clothes obsessed mod and who's wearing what on the terraces.

I used to ignore the phone and couldn't answer the door at one stage. Hiding from bailiffs cos I'd spent my utility bill money on clothes.  I got a suspended sentence for 18 months for council tax but I looked good in court:)

I don't think I have an addictive personality..cant remember saying that. I can smoke for two years cos I fancy it and then pack it in in a breath.. take coke, drink like a fish and then stop whenever I want. Probably more a collector/hoarder.  But I'm pretty shrewd as well.. I can deal pretty well with motors and stuff and end up dealing up in to stuff I put away that increases in value.  Last eight years from scraping round and dealing up I've ended up with two vw bay windows and a t25.. got them at handy money and they've doubled easy. Scooter I bought last year for 2700 quid I've been offered 6 grand for. If I didn't drink, buy clothes and spend money like water I could probably be half successful but it's not the be all and end all to me. I only have a bit of glance at tomorrow if you like. All the old adages I adhere to are like who wants to be the richest man in the cemetary and you're only here once. But I definitely don't need all them clothes!.

Quite fancy golf, I used to play when I was a kid, but yeah, fucks sake I'd have to buy all the clothes and the club's..   oof sounds expensive

Meditation nah, Frank ocean smile

Spend more big_smile

In saying that I wear the same outfit every day. White T-shirt, black sweater, old jeans and sneakers.

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Tue 30 Jan 2018 12:42 pm)

Take off hosers ...

I'm currently in the process of changing my wardrobe.

It's a bit of a maelstrom at the moment, so a definitive look hasn't emerged as of yet. Fewer pieces, but better quality. As mentioned previously, brands/labels that I once wore are now being worn/made deliberately appealing to a different market. So I have to evolve with the times. I've also realised that i've spent most of my life dressing as somebody else, as opposed to myself.

I hope you went out smiling like a child, into the cool remnant of a dream.

After years I realised that in spite of wearing current trends, and bad ones at that I ca assure you,  (its my job i suppose) I always revert to the scruff look but just with decent labels. 'Luxury Scruff' iz right

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Tue 30 Jan 2018 1:42 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Expanding Man wrote:

The two areas are:

It's a vowell sound though.

Aim Low and miss...

I think buying clothes is ace.  What I want to know though is what jeans did you get?

I was a trainer whore for years and kicked that habit and then started buying clothes like a twat.  As Miz said I was dressing how Oi Polloi wanted me to dress and I have subsequently found myself a look as TT says and I am happy with it.  I stopped buying clothes a few years ago but more recently have had to get some more as wear and tear takes place - fuck me, they have gone up!

Anyhoo - I bought a couple of Fred Perry M600 polos this month.  Laverly.

Aim Low and miss...

Sounds like it..

Still I got into hats this past year, bought a few of them, hats, going bald you see.

danpiesley wrote:

I think buying clothes is ace.  What I want to know though is what jeans did you get?

I was a trainer whore for years and kicked that habit and then started buying clothes like a twat.  As Miz said I was dressing how Oi Polloi wanted me to dress and I have subsequently found myself a look as TT says and I am happy with it.  I stopped buying clothes a few years ago but more recently have had to get some more as wear and tear takes place - fuck me, they have gone up!

Anyhoo - I bought a couple of Fred Perry M600 polos this month.  Laverly.

Jeans were levis.   511 and 512.

What happens is this..end of last year I had a mates funeral to go to.. no suit job.. I've got a really smart short blue trench coat with a nice bit of detail.. loake bedale brown brogue boots.. figure I'll buy some black Levi 511 cords.. dead smart.. then I see the brown cords in oi polloi Manchester so buy them too. Then I start thinking that I could buy a dark indigo Levi jean jacket to go with the cords.  Then I'm not sure what boots I like best with the brown cords.. so next I'm on the hunt.  Clarks desert trek or tan wallabees spring to mind.   And it goes like that.. the blue trench coat is ace and then I fancies a beige one too.. I found the desert treks at 68 quid on terraces menswear.. only my size left, one pair so I have to get them.. then I spot a long sleeve fred perry polo in liquorice and that gets added in the cart.. clothes are fuckin ace.. I can look like a hooligan, the cappuccino kid or a geography teacher.. I'm like Mr benn

What I used to spend on clothes, premium quality clothes, now goes on bikes, cycling clobber and outdoor clothes and footwear. Kendal Mintcake kid......

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

This bloke does http://www.jamesdarbyclothing.com/shop/themancintosh

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

hendersonjones wrote:

So far this year a pair of clarks weaver in the sale , barbour polo in the sale from house of frazer bought with vouchers xmas prezzie  , swedish military hiking smock (m62) ace for £20

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

CharlieG wrote:

What I used to spend on clothes, premium quality clothes, now goes on bikes, cycling clobber and outdoor clothes and footwear. Kendal Mintcake kid......

Me too, just cameras and lighting equipment that I don't necessarily need.

'Welcome @49ers to our family ...together to make the history of our glorious Club'   Kim J. U.

hendersonjones wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:

So far this year a pair of clarks weaver in the sale , barbour polo in the sale from house of frazer bought with vouchers xmas prezzie  , swedish military hiking smock (m62) ace for £20

M62's are nice, as are M90's & M65's. French goretex is good, but a bold print. The dutch flecktern is a classic. M1909 is where the serious fun is had. smile

I hope you went out smiling like a child, into the cool remnant of a dream.

Misura wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:

M62's are nice, as are M90's & M65's. French goretex is good, but a bold print. The dutch flecktern is a classic. M1909 is where the serious fun is had. smile

I've got this German flecktarn one, bit rough and ready but the material is the best I've seen, very thick and completely breathable. 

https://www.goarmy.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/E/7/E79F08E75FD99F9AF6DFD8832C832A16.jpg

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.