Topic: Coincidences

The 'Dream' thread just reminded me.

I keep getting 'coincidences' happening to me, maybe once a week, sometimes twice. For example, I was thinking about a mate I have not seen or heard of for bloody years, two days later I get an email from him out of the blue. It always happens in two's, every single time.

We were discussing inheritances last month, and I said that I have never had nowt from anybody. Three days later I get a letter saying there is an unclaimed XYZ from a dead relative.

Monetary issues aside, this sort of thing has been happening a lot over the last year. Bloody weird, I should write them down.

Is this a thing, or am I losing it?

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Re: Coincidences

No
snap

Take off hosers ...

Think we might have done this on here before, but I'm staggered and think it's more than a little bizarre how sometimes you're typing in something on here or elsewhere, and a word you've just used is repeated on whatever TV channel you're watching.

"We are The Fall"

I was just thinking that we should get a thread running about coincidences.  Spooky.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Soul talking.

Happened again this afternoon. Was reading a funny thread on Twitter about ‘flyover country’ in the US, i.e. places that nobody wishes to visit. I had never heard this term before and thought it funny. About three hours later I saw an advert for the best outdoor hiking Apps, opens it up and at No.2 was one called ‘Flyover country’. Never heard the term before in my life, then saw it twice within three hours on two completely seperate sites and computers.

Last edited by Mitaman (Fri 02 Feb 2018 11:11 am)

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Couple of weeks ago, I was slagging off Eric Carlisle for something that happened 12 years ago. Haven’t given him a second thought for all that time, within 24 hours I read that he had died.

This morning I was thinking how I'd never been run over, next thing this mad lycra clad fucker on a bike nearly sends me flying. Next thing I know I'm rolling around on the floor with him exchanging punches and insults. He should have taken his helmet off, I grabbed the strap, he didn't like that. Life's strange sometimes.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Think of all the millions of little pieces of data that your brain processes during a day, some consciously, some subconsciously, that all get processed and have no link, and get filed away without causing a neural flicker. Out of all these things, sometimes a coincidence happens and it provokes a disproportionate reaction. People are looking at a statistical probable event subjectively rather than objectively, and viewing it as extremely improbable/special. A coincidence is in the eye of the beholder.

Think of all the millions of little pieces of data that your brain processes during a day, some consciously, some subconsciously, that all get processed and have no link, and get filed away without causing a neural flicker. Out of all these things, sometimes a coincidence happens and it provokes a disproportionate reaction. People are looking at a statistical probable event subjectively rather than objectively, and viewing it as extremely improbable/special. A coincidence is in the eye of the beholder.

big_smile

Who was it who said life would be weird without coincidences?

Jung wrote a book on all this malarkey, he called the phenomena 'synchronicity'. He liked dipping his toe in the waters of the paranormal by all accounts.

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Who was it who said life would be weird without coincidences?

Jung wrote a book on all this malarkey, he called the phenomena 'synchronicity'. He liked dipping his toe in the waters of the paranormal by all accounts.

Unus mundus. I'm currently getting into Jung, due to Peterson. I tried Nietzsche when I was younger, due to Morrison, but I don't remember him then being like how Peterson references him now. Perhaps I was reading the wrong stuff, I could do with a 'greatest hits' version.

Last edited by Misura (Fri 02 Feb 2018 12:34 pm)

I used to have a Nietzsche for beginners book. Can't remember a fucking  thing about it apart from that time when he said god is dead and later god grabbed him by the lapels and said "who 's fucking dead you cunt" and Nietzsche shat it. Or something.

Yesterday, little lad was asking me about the lego racing cars he saw in the sho and asked if they raced at night. I said yes and started to tell him about the Le Mans 24 hour race. My brother use to go every year etc etc.

Wife walks in (within 90 minutes) been to see her friend and they exchange cakes/ cookies etc as is the Japanese way if they haven't seen each other for a while. On the paper cookie shop bag, have a guess what was written in large black letters on the side.
Exactly, it said 'Le Mans F1' and 'Vrooooom' on one side. Bloody mental.

I'll shut-up about it now.

The Universe is trolling you. While you've got its attention you should ask it for whatever it is that you really really want. Noel Edmonds reckoned this worked for him.You could be the next presenter of deal or no deal. Do it!

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

The Universe is trolling you. While you've got its attention you should ask it for whatever it is that you really really want. Noel Edmonds reckoned this worked for him.You could be the next presenter of deal or no deal. Do it!

Whether it be a superior life form or a superior being, they are choosing to show their hand, not be curing cancer or AIDS or famine or crotch rot, but by fucking about with cookies. There's about 8bn people on the earth and it suspect it would be a lot easier and far less time consuming for blanket fucking about with people's minds, as opposed to initiating a bespoke service. wink

Of course!  As an aside, Tim Booth actually once said that loads of weird coincidences like those described here happening ever more frequently freaked him out and made him stop meditating. The big girls blouse. Id have upped the anti and done it loads more to see what happens

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Problem is, I have never badly wanted anything in my life. I have always been happy just toddling through. I'll give it a go though, but if I suddenly turn into a 5ft 3in Noel Edmunds with that quiff and a full garage of disingenuous platitudes, its all your fault...

Last edited by Mitaman (Tue 06 Feb 2018 3:24 am)

Mitaman wrote:

I'll give it a go though, but if I suddenly turn into a 5ft 3in Noel Edmunds with that quiff and a full garage of disingenuous platitudes, its all your fault...

DEAL!
http://www.tvcream.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/27-04.jpg

Mitaman wrote:
fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Problem is, I have never badly wanted anything in my life. I have always been happy just toddling through. I'll give it a go though, but if I suddenly turn into a 5ft 3in Noel Edmunds with that quiff and a full garage of disingenuous platitudes, its all your fault...

Not even to stroke Daisy Duke's inner thigh while being shoe-horned into the back of The General Lee with her?

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Mrs TT opened my mind up.  you can put stuff out there into the universe and it has a habit of coming back.

Take off hosers ...

Grown men. ffs. roll

Misura wrote:

Grown men. ffs. roll

FFS indeed, but it happens.

Take off hosers ...

I,m a big believer in deja vu - happens regularly to me

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.