Topic: A Can Ton?

Very pleased to see a lot of football clubs pay their condolences this week.

In a football world, where there's a lot of fucking bollocks remembered and recounted for profit, I was wondering if this report about the memorial match was true in any way?

http://oi65.tinypic.com/swa43k.jpg

Re: A Can Ton?

Nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is either.

Take off hosers ...

You cheeky scamp. wink

Yes, I believe it's true and the club weren't particularly kind to the wives & families of the dead players, but that's another story.

......the rebuilding of the club left a trail of bitterness from the families of many of the victims and the survivors. Some felt that they were neglected by United; others believed that their memories of their lost ones were exploited for commercial gain. One former player, Albert Scanlon, gave an extensive interview to Connor in which he complained that Busby had never lived up to his promise to look after him financially in the wake of the disaster.

In the same way, the horribly injured Jackie Blanchflower was kicked out of the club house as soon as it became clear that he would not play again, despite the fact that his wife was heavily pregnant. Swift eviction was also the fate of Johnny Berry, who had suffered serious head injuries.

.........the difference between the enormous present riches of the club and the lack of compensation paid to the victims' relatives, while he also points out that a £90,000 appearance fee paid to the ex-United star Eric Cantona after the Munich testimonial game in 1998 was almost double the sum given to each of the families from the proceeds of the event.

Last edited by Misura (Sun 11 Feb 2018 9:53 am)

I presume you've not been bidding for the free Munich souvenirs, given away at Old Trafford last week, and currently available on ebay then?

And then there was Jesse Lingard apparently tweeting during the ceremony. He blamed his people!

Last edited by Mega Armageddon Chickens (Sun 11 Feb 2018 11:42 am)

I wasn't being provocative. I was reading about Matt Busby's time as Liverpool's captain and then found myself in a wormhole.

Last edited by Expanding Man (Sun 11 Feb 2018 12:35 pm)