Re: Rap music

I think Tony Wilson said that it wouldn't mean anything to him until the council estate kids in the UK got hold of it.  I know he was a bit of a tool but that seems how I kind of feel about a lot of music.  It means more to me when it's more relatable.  I have not frame of reference for a lot of what rap talks about not really have I much in common with a lot more American stuff but when Mike Skinner rapped about being late with his dvd and taking E in a club it was my life.  If you known what I mean........Harry.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

I think Tony Wilson said that it wouldn't mean anything to him until the council estate kids in the UK got hold of it.  I know he was a bit of a tool but that seems how I kind of feel about a lot of music.  It means more to me when it's more relatable.  I have not frame of reference for a lot of what rap talks about not really have I much in common with a lot more American stuff but when Mike Skinner rapped about being late with his dvd and taking E in a club it was my life.  If you known what I mean........Harry.

Did he say the same about Motown? Stax? Funny he gave Chicago's House a free pass.
I've never worked a field in the Delta but I loved Elmore James when my old man played me him as a kid.
I guess hip hop didn't originate in Hulme so he couldn't bring himself to like it.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Did he say the same about Motown? Stax? Funny he gave Chicago's House a free pass.
I've never worked a field in the Delta but I loved Elmore James when my old man played me him as a kid.
I guess hip hop didn't originate in Hulme so he couldn't bring himself to like it.....

Don't think so but he's dead so can't ask him.  I don't mind a bit of the old gangster stuff (the sound of it) but the subject matter turned me off on the whole, it just didn't mean anything to me personally.  I guessore universal themes are easier to export. 

A delta field may not be too far from a factory in Hunslet compared to shooting police and running a team of hoes.

shock, horror. A bunch of old bastards don't like the music their kids listen to, who'd av thunk it.

My old dear used to positively detest The Smiths.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Don't think so but he's dead so can't ask him.  I don't mind a bit of the old gangster stuff (the sound of it) but the subject matter turned me off on the whole, it just didn't mean anything to me personally.  I guessore universal themes are easier to export. 

A delta field may not be too far from a factory in Hunslet compared to shooting police and running a team of hoes.

Ha ha.. same as I feel.

I respect the fact that Travis, you know what you're on about.  I know fuck all about it.

But 6music are playing more and more of it and it just winds me up.. I walk in the kitchen, put the radio on and quickly run back to it thinking my son's switched stations.

What was posted in early posts on here I like. Especially De la soul and I remember loving wash your face in my sink. We've talked about this a lot. Everyone loves Kendrick Lamar at the moment.. Most of the djs I like think he's great.. that probably means he is. I find him unlistenable I just don't get it and hate the sound of his voice.. sounds like a constipated duck fucked out his mind on skunk.

The stuff I hear blaring out at home from the son's bedroom is the same I hear blaring out of cars everywhere so it's obviously gripped the youth.. when I ask my son why he likes it and why does he identify with it his answer is along the lines of this... dad, they're smashing it!, they're ballers, look at his Gucci tracksuit and fendi trainers.. they're having it dad.. look at his watch, look at the car.. they've got drugs, fit birds, cops are scared of em.. . Bad boys mate...he calls me mate when he's describing ballers and flicks/clicks/snaps his fingers to accentuate the point ... oh yeah that's great son...

By the way, grandma's been on the phone and don't be late for work..

Most stuff I hear that I hate...i always think.. is Floyd mayweather listening to this? If the answer is yes then I'm happy I don't like it

And I've no problem with anyone slagging off the music I listen to.

If I'm in the pub and someone says that I know a lot about music, I have a pal who says ..yeah..he knows his shit...and believe me...its fuckin shit!

Pretty dull world if we all liked the same shit.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

scootay wrote:

The stuff I hear blaring out at home from the son's bedroom is the same I hear blaring out of cars everywhere so it's obviously gripped the youth.. when I ask my son why he likes it and why does he identify with it his answer is along the lines of this... dad, they're smashing it!, they're ballers, look at his Gucci tracksuit and fendi trainers.. they're having it dad.. look at his watch, look at the car.. they've got drugs, fit birds, cops are scared of em.. . Bad boys mate...he calls me mate when he's describing ballers and flicks/clicks/snaps his fingers to accentuate the point ... oh yeah that's great son...

Your kid is the same as you Scoots, only 30 odd years later in a more multicultural and multiracial community...
You have a great, really, knowledge of music that I check out most of the time, some good, some ace, some fuckin dirge ... same as hip hop / rap  - if you were his age today you'd be into it

Travis, some of them come in the store but we're not their gig. Nice guys the ones I've met. My personal fave is Derek Wise from Glam88 - huge fucker who was at one point arrested for human trafficking big_smile

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Thu 01 Mar 2018 5:14 am)

Take off hosers ...

Travis Bickle wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

I'm sure if Wilson had lived a little bit longer, he'd have spun the line that Manchester invented hip hop and rap.  His life work was reinventing history to put Manchester at the forefront and inventor of everything irrespective if facts suggested otherwise.

I don't give a flying if this lot are from New York or New Mill, it's good....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:

Whatever floats your boat TB.  It's not for me.

Travis Bickle wrote:

I hope I never hear that again

Word up smile

Sorry trav

That music will never get me

Ever

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Travis Bickle wrote:

Yup

Take off hosers ...

Stewart Lee ... painful - telling unfunny jokes to a bunch of white middle aged middle class Independent readers on a 'Uni' reunion night.

perhaps someone could do a parody of him...
"Comedian ... on the telly you know... makes comments that make people think that should laugh... you know on the telly..."

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Thu 01 Mar 2018 7:09 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Toronto Ted wrote:

Stewart Lee ... painful - telling unfunny jokes to a bunch of white middle aged middle class Independent readers on a 'Uni' reunion night.

"Comedian ... on the telly you know... makes comments that make people think that should laugh... you know on the telly..."

He can be very very funny when he wants to be but is also often the epitome of privileged sneering.

Toronto Ted wrote:

Yes!

I thought was just me that thought that.

It's not poetry it's like an annoying cunt times five with the worst dress sense worse mates and adhd childish mannerisms.. when did posturing bragadiccio become summat? Anyone who makes a record can be a right self obsessed cunt but it's ten fold in rap.. look at me.. rather not.. fucknoff

CBIT wrote:

shock, horror. A bunch of old bastards don't like the music their kids listen to, who'd av thunk it.

Aye,but this is grown men admitting to liking rap ffs!

lol

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

My little one wont grow up listening to any old shite.

She currently likes this one..

Real Hip Hop Alert

#DoTheDai \o/

I've been sneaking them on to the OMJ playlist innit..

#DoTheDai \o/

That time New Kingdom played live on The Word and you thought WTF is this, it's ace man...

2:02: a young Rachel Weisz shaking what her mama gave her... smile

Lionel Blair if you like that thing as well

Last edited by king of the slums (Sat 03 Mar 2018 9:58 am)

#DoTheDai \o/

Old Wharfedaler wrote:
CBIT wrote:

Aye,but this is grown men admitting to liking rap ffs!

lol

Its not just appeared you know... Im guessing that those of us on here who like hip hop and rap have been listening to it for a good 35 years, as long as I have the Smiths or early grunge or New Order..and you're not going to castigate us for that are you ?

Please let us know what grown men can listen to big_smile

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Sat 03 Mar 2018 9:53 am)

Take off hosers ...

king of the slums wrote:

Real Hip Hop Alert

That's excellent.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
king of the slums wrote:

Real Hip Hop Alert

That's excellent.

Yep

That whole LP is sublime, real Hip Hop from start to finish..

#DoTheDai \o/

Is he the bloke who raps on Suntoucher by Groove Armada?

Rap is bloody Ace! Anyone who says otherwise needs to burn up some cheeba and feel the vibe...