Re: Wot car does you drive

Mazda Bongo

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

CBIT wrote:

No bluetooth and my phone works perfectly as a sat nav

They look great for their age.  Especially the Cooper S ones.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

danpiesley wrote:
scootay wrote:

I also have a 1958 beetle that is out of the box and a 1992 Vauxhall nova that is like the day it came out the factory. They're in the business technically ..

I'll be after more.  I only look at cars that I think are classics of the future or affordable classics now.  I'm happy running a shitish car as an a to b but I still won't lose money on them. I only buy when it's for fuck all.. run for 3 to 6 months either getting my money back or getting a drink on it..

Ace - what are bays worth these days?  Do you drive them?

I had a 77 Bay - Devon conversion.  Drove it as my daily drive for five years.  Took it all over the UK and Northern France.

I sold it for 3K about 7 years ago.  Had put a new front beam on and new wheel arches.  I worked out that it cost me £100 a month to run it not including fuel.

That 58 beetle must be worth a fortune.

I was looking at a T5 - I think they may be next.

I currently don't own a car - wife has a 55 plate Ford Focus that has 130K on the clock and seems to be bimbling along nicely - taking it to Arras in October so fingers crossed.

My last car was a Rover 216 cab.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5601085271_a4d4a38c15.jpg


I fucking loved it.  I had some cash after christmas one year and went to a local dealer to have a mooch and it was there - offered him £500 and he ripped my arm off.  Had the Honda K series engine which I think would still be going now.  I got rid as the engine imobiliser fucked for the second time and was gonna cost me circa £200 to fi and was, by all accounts, a fanny to take out.


I am currently looking for another one  - have seen a few good ones around the 1.3k mark.

Cars of note I have owned - A Citroen BS - lovely but a devils car.  It got 'nicked' in the end.  A Volvo 245 - fuck a duck, it was like driving around in me front room.  I killed it - forgot to put the oil cap back on after filling it up then drove it to Robins Hood bay.

That Honda engine in the rover was ace Dan

The 58 beetle is blue and cream and I'm not just saying it.. it's pretty much concourse.  Only had three owners from new too and one of those had it for fifty years.  I did up an 81 t25 Devon moonraker two years ago and it was nice, really nice. Ended up with about 5 and half grand in it and did a straight swap for the beetle. The beetle went straight in a garage and it's not moved since.

A mate of mine who dealt in T25s had a 77 bay in.. it was rough ish on the body but had been completely renovated underneath and inside.  It had a brand new vege engine in too and drove mint. He had 5 grand in it but preferred T25s so he offered it to me. I spotted a T25 Carat come up for sale in Scotland on gumtree come up for sale. These are rare. He only had it on at 2 grand and accepted 1800 for it. I drove up that day and paid him and drove it back... stuck it under the lads nose with the bay and he took a grand plus the T25... I did my job there and my mate made money on the T25 so all good.

The other bay I have was on eBay with a knackered gearbox and the engine out. Won it for 3600 and took a flier .. it's a poptop with a great interior and the different thing is that it's been converted to a water cooled ford Scorpio 2.0 petrol engine so it pulls like a train. I got the gearbox dine for 300 and spent about the same getting it back in and running.. that's been sat there ever since. They are easily worth what I paid but if I spend 2 to 3 grand on each then they're probably worth ten or twelve grand each?

My thing is that if I didn't buy stuff when I have a couple of quid (I buy art as well) then I would spend it. If I stuck it in a bank and tied it up there isn't any return on it really is there? It just stops me from blowing it. So I buy stuff or deal in to stuff that I know are appreciating classics... I could do them up and rent them out in the future for weddings and stuff too.. I don't do the stock market so this is my little thing

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

Wife's got that Santa Fe we got last year and she reckons its the best car shes ever had.  It gets a bit tight in old multi-story car parks but in return for that you can fit half a dozen 6x4 fence panels in the back if you need to.

I've got an 04 Focus.  I say I'm going to replace it every year but then something fucks up and I can't afford to and end up getting it through another MOT with second hand part.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

scootay wrote:
danpiesley wrote:
scootay wrote:

I also have a 1958 beetle that is out of the box and a 1992 Vauxhall nova that is like the day it came out the factory. They're in the business technically ..

I'll be after more.  I only look at cars that I think are classics of the future or affordable classics now.  I'm happy running a shitish car as an a to b but I still won't lose money on them. I only buy when it's for fuck all.. run for 3 to 6 months either getting my money back or getting a drink on it..

Ace - what are bays worth these days?  Do you drive them?

I had a 77 Bay - Devon conversion.  Drove it as my daily drive for five years.  Took it all over the UK and Northern France.

I sold it for 3K about 7 years ago.  Had put a new front beam on and new wheel arches.  I worked out that it cost me £100 a month to run it not including fuel.

That 58 beetle must be worth a fortune.

I was looking at a T5 - I think they may be next.

I currently don't own a car - wife has a 55 plate Ford Focus that has 130K on the clock and seems to be bimbling along nicely - taking it to Arras in October so fingers crossed.

My last car was a Rover 216 cab.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5601085271_a4d4a38c15.jpg


I fucking loved it.  I had some cash after christmas one year and went to a local dealer to have a mooch and it was there - offered him £500 and he ripped my arm off.  Had the Honda K series engine which I think would still be going now.  I got rid as the engine imobiliser fucked for the second time and was gonna cost me circa £200 to fi and was, by all accounts, a fanny to take out.


I am currently looking for another one  - have seen a few good ones around the 1.3k mark.

Cars of note I have owned - A Citroen BS - lovely but a devils car.  It got 'nicked' in the end.  A Volvo 245 - fuck a duck, it was like driving around in me front room.  I killed it - forgot to put the oil cap back on after filling it up then drove it to Robins Hood bay.

That Honda engine in the rover was ace Dan

The 58 beetle is blue and cream and I'm not just saying it.. it's pretty much concourse.  Only had three owners from new too and one of those had it for fifty years.  I did up an 81 t25 Devon moonraker two years ago and it was nice, really nice. Ended up with about 5 and half grand in it and did a straight swap for the beetle. The beetle went straight in a garage and it's not moved since.

A mate of mine who dealt in T25s had a 77 bay in.. it was rough ish on the body but had been completely renovated underneath and inside.  It had a brand new vege engine in too and drove mint. He had 5 grand in it but preferred T25s so he offered it to me. I spotted a T25 Carat come up for sale in Scotland on gumtree come up for sale. These are rare. He only had it on at 2 grand and accepted 1800 for it. I drove up that day and paid him and drove it back... stuck it under the lads nose with the bay and he took a grand plus the T25... I did my job there and my mate made money on the T25 so all good.

The other bay I have was on eBay with a knackered gearbox and the engine out. Won it for 3600 and took a flier .. it's a poptop with a great interior and the different thing is that it's been converted to a water cooled ford Scorpio 2.0 petrol engine so it pulls like a train. I got the gearbox dine for 300 and spent about the same getting it back in and running.. that's been sat there ever since. They are easily worth what I paid but if I spend 2 to 3 grand on each then they're probably worth ten or twelve grand each?

My thing is that if I didn't buy stuff when I have a couple of quid (I buy art as well) then I would spend it. If I stuck it in a bank and tied it up there isn't any return on it really is there? It just stops me from blowing it. So I buy stuff or deal in to stuff that I know are appreciating classics... I could do them up and rent them out in the future for weddings and stuff too.. I don't do the stock market so this is my little thing


I guess storage must be a factor mate.  Keeping it all in good nick means it has to appreciate in value to cover the costs.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

All three vans are outside and getting worse . Err that's where it can all go wrong ha. Our unit isn't big enough but we're after another one.

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

scootay wrote:

All three vans are outside and getting worse . Err that's where it can all go wrong ha. Our unit isn't big enough but we're after another one.

Business idea.  Vacuum sealing whole cars on site.  Big bags, drive car in, suck out the air, seal the big bag and leave them there.  Air tight, moisture free, job done. 

Or even the massive hay bale wrapping machines might do it.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

Reggie Perrin wrote:
scootay wrote:

All three vans are outside and getting worse . Err that's where it can all go wrong ha. Our unit isn't big enough but we're after another one.

Business idea.  Vacuum sealing whole cars on site.  Big bags, drive car in, suck out the air, seal the big bag and leave them there.  Air tight, moisture free, job done. 

Or even the massive hay bale wrapping machines might do it.


Sounds good reg.. you could be on dragons den soon man

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

scootay wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
scootay wrote:

All three vans are outside and getting worse . Err that's where it can all go wrong ha. Our unit isn't big enough but we're after another one.

Business idea.  Vacuum sealing whole cars on site.  Big bags, drive car in, suck out the air, seal the big bag and leave them there.  Air tight, moisture free, job done. 

Or even the massive hay bale wrapping machines might do it.


Sounds good reg.. you could be on dragons den soon man

I'm too fucking lazy.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

scootay wrote:
Ken Kapstick wrote:

Got a red Alfa Brera 2.4 it’s the fourth Alfa I’ve had I fucking love em.Also have a 15 plate Toyota Aygo lot of spec on it reverse camera etc sips fuel.

I keep looking at breras at the moment. Definite future classic... but the pro drive is the one to buy...they only made 500 of them. They're doing about ten bags at the minute... definitely want buying and putting away if you can afford to.

Nearly bought a pro drive brera last year but the 2.2 petrol engine is shit also looked st the V6 version but that’s a GM shared unit which is also rubbish.The brera is a thing of beauty pics don’t do it justice solid build quality also compared to earlier Alfa’s I’ve had.Not keen on the current Alfa range apart from Guillia q.v. and that’s a four door Ferrari in all but name big money

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

The Brera is a real head turner.  Their design went down hill after that one.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

space wrote:

The Brera is a real head turner.  Their design went down hill after that one.

Absolutely.Alfa sell fuck all cars VW been trying to buy Alfa out for years off Fiat they don’t wanna sell to the Germans and tried to take the Germans on.The Guillia is a better car than the german rivals top end one shits all over BMW  equivalents M3 etc and the styling looks german which is a shame boring

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

Ken Kapstick wrote:
space wrote:

The Brera is a real head turner.  Their design went down hill after that one.

Absolutely.Alfa sell fuck all cars VW been trying to buy Alfa out for years off Fiat they don’t wanna sell to the Germans and tried to take the Germans on.The Guillia is a better car than the german rivals top end one shits all over BMW  equivalents M3 etc and the styling looks german which is a shame boring

The Giulia is nicer up close KK.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Thu 01 Mar 2018 8:16 pm)

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

Mate had one of these many, many years ago. Great car...
https://www.classicdriver.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_slider/public/import/articlesv2/images/_de/7383/Alfa_Romeo_GTV6_Grand_Prix_08pop.jpg?itok=ub9UlyuO

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Wot car does you drive

Travis Bickle wrote:

Mate had one of these many, many years ago. Great car...
https://www.classicdriver.com/sites/default/files/styles/full_width_slider/public/import/articlesv2/images/_de/7383/Alfa_Romeo_GTV6_Grand_Prix_08pop.jpg?itok=ub9UlyuO

Lovelycar for the time had proper V6 busso Alfa engine had same engine in Alfa GTV had years back sounded glorious still known as one of best engines ever other problems with it it cost arm and a leg suspension and electrical still miss it like a 160 mph mini Ferrari

Last edited by Ken Kapstick (Thu 01 Mar 2018 9:21 pm)

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

VW Touran. Third car I've ever owned; usually drive it once a week on a Saturday, taking the youngest to football. Rest of the time I'm walking or getting the bus.

Loads of space for the camping stuff but the best thing about it is that not only does it have a working CD player, it also has a DAB and an aux-in socket. Thinking about it we probably only change cars when the music system gets knacked.

I haven't felt this good for an hour

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

Car list since 17:

Mini Clubman
MG Metro Turbo
Beetle
Peugeot 205
MG Midget
Enter missus
Volvo 240 GLX Estate
New Mini
Alfa 156 SW
Volvo 960 Estate
2x Passat Estates
Mitsubishi Shogun
Renault Grand Scenic
Jag xtype estate
Alfa 147
Chevvy Orlando
Saab 9-3 Convertible

Plus 3 Vespas over 25 years

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Thu 01 Mar 2018 10:33 pm)

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

Had a look at a Toyota 86 GT the other day, very nice but can't really justify buying one with the small back seats.

Will try and get sign off on an FJ cruiser if one pops up in Tokyo when she's ready for school..

http://picture1.goo-net.com/070/0708377/J/0708377A30171115W00701.jpg

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

king of the slums wrote:

Had a look at a Toyota 86 GT the other day, very nice but can't really justify buying one with the small back seats.

Will try and get sign off on an FJ cruiser if one pops up in Tokyo when she's ready for school..

http://picture1.goo-net.com/070/0708377/J/0708377A30171115W00701.jpg

The GT86 looks great from the back but strangely they didn't put the same effort in at the front.  The Subaru BRZ is same car.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

Small back seats!
It looks like a tank on wheels

ambition beyond ability

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

Reggie Perrin wrote:
king of the slums wrote:

Had a look at a Toyota 86 GT the other day, very nice but can't really justify buying one with the small back seats.

Will try and get sign off on an FJ cruiser if one pops up in Tokyo when she's ready for school..

http://picture1.goo-net.com/070/0708377/J/0708377A30171115W00701.jpg

The GT86 looks great from the back but strangely they didn't put the same effort in at the front.  The Subaru BRZ is same car.

86 GR however, looks tip top, but yeah a Subaru under a Toyota flag..

https://car-images.bauersecure.com/pagefiles/76812/toyota_grhv_02.jpg

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

hillman imp
cavalier
sierra
punto
mx5
passat
Figaro,
golf
renault RX4
Volvo v70 cab
golf plus
Beetle cab
Freelander

only one I made money on was the Figaro - great design and motor
Best was VWs

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

This one for the school run..

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

Fiery jack wrote:

hillman imp
cavalier
sierra
punto
mx5
passat
Figaro,
golf
renault RX4
Volvo v70 cab
golf plus
Beetle cab
Freelander

only one I made money on was the Figaro - great design and motor
Best was VWs

Gallileo Figaro - magnifico

Share

Re: Wot car does you drive

BMW 3 series station wagon

Take off hosers ...

Share