Topic: Paul Madeley 1944-2018 RIP

Just seen this, sad day for one of the Golden generation who you would rarely find at events, or anywhere after he finished playing.

I saw him play from 68-75, as a kid, but even then he stood apart from the rest of the team, primarily because nobody in that great team, and I mean nobody, looked and played like a complete athlete than Madeley did.  He never got his proper due because he wasn't a star and never spoke up.

And there's a clip from Jimmy Armfield's biog that  when contract talks started, Madeley signed  virtually  a blank piece of paper, unconcerned about terms, length, bonuses...because "I just want to play for Leeds".

Some will remember the "Rolls royce" description by Revie and it was an apt description. I never saw him
him out-run, out -jumped, fouled or fouling. He could change pace or  stride and leave wingers standing.

It goes almost without saying that today he'd be worth 100million. When I see the nonenties lauded as great players, especially defenders, I feel old and superior. The nearest player to him I ever saw at Elland road was Rio Ferdinand,  but honestly, he wasn't half the player Madeley was, even after  moving to scum. Globally?  Beckenbauer, who had more tactical nous, but couldn't defend as good, therefore  probably the best defender Leeds have ever had.

Re: Paul Madeley 1944-2018 RIP

True legend

I remember as a 10 year old arguing he was the greatest player in the world (wrongly) because of his versatility.

When you see him gliding over the turf, in what seems like effortless motion it's easy to see where the Rolls Royce tag came from.

One of our true greats.

Been looking for a picture of me and mates with Paul Madeley in his testimonial season. We missed the main picture with the Shropshire branch . So 5 of us had a picture with him . I’m presenting him with a carriage clock and shaking his hand.
Not found it . But I’ve found my mum and dads birth and marriage certificates . His dog tags , demob papers, pay book , some lira from the war and other stuff I didn’t know I had.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Magnificent player. Most of today's "superstar" defenders are pygmies by comparison.

Fiery jack wrote:

Just seen this, sad day for one of the Golden generation who you would rarely find at events, or anywhere after he finished playing.

I saw him play from 68-75, as a kid, but even then he stood apart from the rest of the team, primarily because nobody in that great team, and I mean nobody, looked and played like a complete athlete than Madeley did.  He never got his proper due because he wasn't a star and never spoke up.

And there's a clip from Jimmy Armfield's biog that  when contract talks started, Madeley signed  virtually  a blank piece of paper, unconcerned about terms, length, bonuses...because "I just want to play for Leeds".

Some will remember the "Rolls royce" description by Revie and it was an apt description. I never saw him
him out-run, out -jumped, fouled or fouling. He could change pace or  stride and leave wingers standing.

It goes almost without saying that today he'd be worth 100million. When I see the nonenties lauded as great players, especially defenders, I feel old and superior. The nearest player to him I ever saw at Elland road was Rio Ferdinand,  but honestly, he wasn't half the player Madeley was, even after  moving to scum. Globally?  Beckenbauer, who had more tactical nous, but couldn't defend as good, therefore  probably the best defender Leeds have ever had.

Well said. Always marvelled at his beautiful motion. He had it all. Shame they're aren't professionals like him anymore. Condolences to all those who will miss him.

I've been trying to find footage of our goals in Turin (Madeley and Bates) when we drew the Fairs Cup Final first leg in 1971, I didn't find any.

So I read a report on the game instead and from the photos attached it looks like we wore the red shirts.

Leeds in red in a cup final, there are some who wouldn't believe it.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Spra … Sprake.jpg

Looks like we did.

________________________________________________________________________________