http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

Re: Swansea - Away

We are top of the league.....

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists

¡No pasaran!

Good showing against a good team. Away. Bielsa sure knows what he's doing - and he was in a bit of a tizz in the closing minutes, getting animated. Top o' the League, Ma!

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Well earned point against a good side.  Not many teams will get anything when they go there!

Didn't see it, but sounds like defensive frailties again, bad luck about Cooper, but with Jansson injured surely he's got to be looking for another CB now ?

Billy Hunt Billy Hunt Billy Billy Beleive!

Don't want to spoil the party but we were top of the league in September last season as I recall. Early days still.
I had hoped for an away win. But it's a good result against a well drilled outfit. So far so good.
Looking for an authoritative job against Norwich. Then Boro. We shall see.

Good point tonight.

To stand aside is to take sides.

CharlieG wrote:

McBurnie was born in Leeds, apparently.

Not just born, he's Garforth (Villa) and he's pissed that we didn't take him from what I hear, but he's on a wedge for a nipper and we couldn't work that out..

Last edited by king of the slums (Wed 22 Aug 2018 2:52 am)

#DoTheDai \o/

Alioski found wanting, Harrison needs to get up to speed with the Championship, great draw.

Maybe we'll win 2-5 next time..

Last edited by king of the slums (Wed 22 Aug 2018 2:44 am)

#DoTheDai \o/

Strange but never felt we were ever going to lose that game and even thought we might nick it at the end.
Peacock-Farrell should have done better for both their goals but in fairness made a top save at the death.
Shackleton looks the business and has a great career ahead of him,hopefully with Leeds!

Very early days but the league table has a nice look about it this morning!

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Disappointed theres no match day report from Placid - that boozer you went looked lively to say the least

I liked the way Bielsa was prepared to change it early. Phillips was going to get another yellow , for sure.
We’d of lost that game comfortably last season.

To stand aside is to take sides.

This. Having a plan B and the courage to use it is how you win things. Nice work El Spocko.

white dragon wrote:

I liked the way Bielsa was prepared to change it early. Phillips was going to get another yellow , for sure.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

CharlieG wrote:

This. Having a plan B and the courage to use it is how you win things. Nice work El Spocko.

white dragon wrote:

But was it Plan B or simply Plan A with different personnel?

Nobody seemed to be 'splitting' the two centre backs when we had the ball like Philips does/did and Ayling was pumping quite a few long balls forward but i didn't see a Plan B

Whatever we say,  Bielsa intervened and mixed it up - good to see early recognition of problems and prompt attmepts at resolving them!

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

CBIT wrote:

Disappointed theres no match day report from Placid - that boozer you went looked lively to say the least

I was just about to sit down to this now *inter locks fingers and pushes palms outwards....

You writing a novel?

School holidays meant that the Placid men had the chance to do a midweek early season away. Got a couple of tickets and had to pick a 3rd up from the Mavericks. No room on the bus for us so we opted to drive and stay over in a B+B. 80's style minus the head bags and 12 to a room.

South Wales is a fucking long way. Drove M1, M42, M5. M50. Too many M's that on one away match.

When off the M5 the route starts to get pretty scenic. Passed Hay on Wye, Monmouth then onto South Wales proper. I opted to take the Head of the Valleys road through Abergaveny to get to my first destination. Wetherspoons in Neath to meet up with LF and my third ticket.

"The Valleys" and Neath, conjure up thoughts of men singing their way to the pits with cloth caps on, in serious boots and 1940's 2 piece suits. Sadly it's slightly different these days. Neath, for example has given the world; Richard Burton, Bonnie Tyler and Carl Harris. The current patrons don't seem to be cut from the same cloth and are million miles away form close harmonising pit workers my mind imagined.

In my short breeze through Neath it would seem that the locals I came into contact with seemed intent of a Tuesday afternoon on getting completely fucked out of their Welsh minds. On parking up on on Windsor Road we weaved our way passed a motorcade of motorbility scooters on their way into to town to go about their business. 

Some of the convoy turned right into the Big CAM. The game fuckers. Most of the patrons of this fine establishment were on the side street smoking either gear, spice or cigs in between shouting and swearing at one another in Gavin & Staceyesque accents. Much to the amusement of my kids.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/39924021_10157092685447323_2510065598877138944_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3972ec6260bc7e7e929650cf5b29bdb5&oe=5C03FD24 A right rum old hole. Made the Spoons next door look like the Ritz.

Met up with the Mavs who were coach sharing with Harrogate Whites. One of which was skulling a pint of Gin and Tonic while a few others were working their way through the 2 for 1 cocktails on offer in what is supposedly the cheapest Wetherspoons in the country. We picked our ticket up had a shandy then sauntered off to Swansea to check into our digs.

Pretty early so we had drive round the front passed the DVLA building which is a complete fucking eyesore. Kids were keen to go to the beach. So we found a decent spot to park and took to the beach for a game of cricket. Not quite the village green scenario. Here they got to play up against the murky brown Bristol Channel with the back drop of Port Talbot spuing out shite into the Welsh Hillsides.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/39891234_10157092663297323_1263536080917889024_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=950ecb1b97d0d60834668b6f312048bd&oe=5C34D463

Checked into our digs which was same price as a Mecure that had swimming pool, sauna, breakfast and 24 hour staff. Our place did not...

What it lacked in great facilities and services to guests it made up for with weird pictures and shit decor.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/39911075_10157092662902323_7936198225466228736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=6d8c394a6c7ea4c636489c3b32aefafb&oe=5C3503EA

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/39820893_10157092662912323_5253310753280098304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=928f30bd2aca1e9daf463097ef67bae7&oe=5C029612

The area it was in was sound though. Uplands and Sketty Road. Within 2 mins of our digs there were 4 or 5 quality pubs and bars. Was a bit like Chapel Allerton without all the London wanabee wankers. Most folk were Welsh Swanseaites or possibly a bit gauche from the Mumbles.

The Match
Ground is an identikit stadium about 2 miles form town, bit of modern ground in a retail environment. Shite. The atmosphere in the ground was shit hot to be honest. Even though they had a drum they didn't seem to sing to it. These Welshmen found their voices and made a fair amount of noise.

When the teams came out I said to the lads, why is Ayling leading them out. Immediately I was worried about this. Where as last season I'd have been cockahoop. Such is the change this year. This change and the way the team lined up they looked uncomfortable and un-balanced. 2 right footed fullbacks at centre half looked and felt uncomfortable and it certainly showed.
This seemed to affect the whole flow of the game and the team in the first half. Swansea had a game plan. Largely around the strikers pushing and harrying the defence and overloading the midfield around Phillips and stopping him from dictating the pace of the game. Leroy Fer absolutely ran the show with Mcbernie as the panto villain. After their first goal I would have been glad to go in 1 down.

Phillips was getting roasted by Fer. Maybe this was why Bielsa took him off or maybe he as carrying a knock after that heavy collision KP took on the hip on Saturday. For me in that first 30 minutes Klisch was out the game and barely touched the ball.

On 35 mins or so we seemed to get on the ball more, pushing baker up with the attacking play. Fantastic support from Shackelton always looking for overlaps, one of them paid off and he hit the bye line (love this) and crossed flat and low for tap in for Roofe. 1-1. Against the play and the flow we nick a goal before half time. It just felt that we were never going to lose this despite playing shite.

2nd half and another sub the much lauded Harrison for the ineffective Alioski. Harrison was bright and full of running. The immediate response was for Swansea to go 2-1 up from another goal from the ex Leeds Academy player. Great header.

Credit to this team, they upped the ante and kept trying to pass the ball and push Swansea back up the pitch. We seemed to be lacking the momentum and the energy until Bamford came on. His movement was refreshing and just his larger presence on the picth seemed to lift things a bit. A ball down the left to Bamford and he rolled the right back and shot down the wing, looked up and crossed a millimetre perfect cross for Hernandez to run onto and steer home with his left. 2-2. We went fucking nuts.

That last ten minutes seemed to drag and although they had a gilt edged chance to take all three points but for a fantastic save from BPF with his feet it never seemed like we would lose. In fact we could and probably should have taken all three points. A ball came into Harrison on his right foot who found himself with just the keeper to beat but instead of putting his foot through it and hoping to fucking god that all his years as a Man u and Man City Academy starlet might have given him enough muscle memory to pass the ball really fucking hard into the corner of the goal. Instead, he fucking shuffled and muffled to get on his left by which time 2 or 3 defenders had smothered out any danger. He clasped his head in shame and embarrassment right in front of the fans. He knew, we knew. He should have at least fucking hit it.

The game petered out not long after that and I and probably all of the fand were pretty pleased we'd escaped with a pint. We played shit away from home against an ex prem side and shared the points. Keeping us top of the league all be it just on goal difference.

A good point that. The placids went back to the bizarre b n b happy.

Next stop Norwich.

Last edited by placidcasual (Thu 23 Aug 2018 6:16 am)

Great report as always Placid

Billy Hunt Billy Hunt Billy Billy Beleive!

Great stuff Placid,cheers.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

About time , between you & TB we get much better match reports than most of the print media.

Top work Placid !!

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

Don't know which looks worse - The Big Cam or your digs???

I stopped in Neath a few years ago on the way back to London from Pemborke Ferry - thought it might be a pleasant spot for lunch............  They did have a good indoor market though and i purchased some splendid (and cheap) growlers for the remainder of the trip plus some cock-on lamb chops for tea

Who needs BBC Sport when you have OMJ?

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Good stuff that Placid

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Good report.... Where are the player ratings, though?!  wink

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists

¡No pasaran!

Allez Placeed.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.