Topic: Warrington Town at home....

FT: 2-0 Att: 844 (107 away)

If you're looking for evidence of how much I've enjoyed watching Town since our journey into non-league football started, a cold Tuesday night FA cup replay against opposition from the Evo-Stik Northern Premier is pretty conclusive.

Particularly when you consider that my partner in crime was tired and tucked up in bed by the time Town kicked off at 7.45.

Felt odd being there without her. I missed her. And she missed a huge improvement from her beloved Shaymen.

The crowd wasn't bad given Town's woeful performance at the weekend. Amongst the faithful were Billy Heath, sacked as manager last year, and two players the new incumbent deemed surplus to Town's full-time requirements, Tom Denton and Jake Hibbs. I found out tonight that Denton's celebration when he scored on his return with Chesterfield a couple of weeks ago wasn't aimed at the fans but at Jamie Fullarton. Seems the manic dashing around in circles was a response to the new manager's claim when he took charge that Denton 'couldn't run'.
I remember Hannah being quite upset at the sight of Denton in his tracksuit hanging around the dugout after, yet again, being dropped from the first team when Fullarton took over. That goal probably felt like payback. He got another two at the weekend against Fylde.

Warrington should have won at the weekend. They started like they believed they could tonight. But those hopes were, in reality, short-lived. Some changes meant Town fielded the team many have been hoping they would for a while. Matty Brown's continued absence through injury was a blow, but King finally got another start in midfield. Edwards replaced Odelusi up front partnering Southwell and the excellent Jacob Hanson was back at fullback.
They were a different team in so many respects. Lively and motivated. It was everything we haven't seen recently. Passing and movement and a positive attitude.

Chance after chance. Shot after shot. To be honest, they could have been 3 or 4 up early on. It was good to watch, especially as the admission price had been reduced to £12.

The pressure began to tell on Warrington. Town won a corner. Jordan Preston, massively-improved from Saturday's lacklustre player, took it. And scored straight from it.

It was no more than they deserved. They built on it. This was a glimpse of what this team might be capable of. I don't know why Fullarton has tinkered so much with tactics and the starting eleven. I still don't get why he only had four subs on the bench. Or why he insisted on bringing Odelusi on as one of those four. But this was much, much better.

They went in ahead and were well worth that lead.

The second period started with that flat ten minutes that you see so often after a dominant half. A break in play after a foul gave us a ringside seat as Fullarton went to war verbally with one of their coaching staff. Small crowds mean you can hear a lot you wouldn't normally. Probably a good thing Hannah wasn't there to hear some of this. He's a feisty bugger is Fullarton.

Kosylo was great. He was finding space and taking people on at every opportunity. His efforts paid off when he fed Southwell who slid the ball home to put Town two up.
The visitors needed something to try and turn the tide. Enter über-journeyman, Bohan Dixon shortly after the hour mark. He's still only 29 but has racked up 16 or 17 teams already. He had a shot blocked. And that was about it. I reckon he's another 5 in him at least before he quits.

There were some moments for Warrington but the tie was done after the second goal. I'd have felt more sorry for them if they'd left their f***ing drum at home. Ban them....

It's going to take more than this to convince people that the future's bright once more but I'm guessing there'll be increased optimism for the visit of Eastleigh on Saturday.

And then we have a trip to Morecambe to look forward to.....another new ground for the list....

Last edited by Travis Bickle (Wed 24 Oct 2018 9:33 am)

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Warrington Town at home....

Good work Trav

Re: Warrington Town at home....

Nice one.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.