Re: Winter Boots

Those Lone Wolf boots are 400squid!
Christ you boys have some money to spend

I am just a common breed

under the arches wrote:

Those Lone Wolf boots are 400squid!
Christ you boys have some money to spend

400 sovs, no fucking chance.  Just spend £20 on these:  distressed leather, already got some dubbin for them.

http://www.newgraftongallery.co.uk/image/cache/data/category_18/20180803113903873522276-1000x1000.jpg

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Have you got a big fixture coming up on the 'Sealed Knot' calendar against the Roundheads Reg?

This very interesting thread is doing my head in! Are you talking hiking boots, work boots, or smart casual boots? Or are you talking mix 'n match here? Perhaps I'm too dyed in the wool for my own good, but I always think to keep them functionally separate, viz. I wouldn't wear my cowboy boots in shitty weather nor would I wear my Timberland hikers, snow boots or work boots down the high street or to the pub. Right now, though, I've only got my beloved black 1460 DMs and I'm somewhat reluctant to get them messed up in the wintry wastes already covering my neck of the (Penn's) woods. Those Golden Fox look good, I have to say, and Wal-Mart of all places carries them for a relative song.

king of the slums wrote:

https://shop.r10s.jp/takeoff-c/cabinet/image24/tof_5833b802bc57d.jpg

I like those. I'd loose the tassles personally but cracking boots. Reminds me of those short toed 'Otto' fellas by Fracap but a step up obvs.

Golden Fox in Walmart eh? How much do they go for Pip just out of interest? Asda should get them in the George range. They are massive btw. I got the equivalent US size to my normal UK size (ie one up) and they are about a full size too big. Had to get some 'volume adjuster' insoles.

Last edited by fuzzy dunlop (Wed 21 Nov 2018 2:01 pm)

Ottos. I'd get these if I hadn't just spent £35k on a loft conversion this year.  https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3e/fa/5a/3efa5a148455bdbda5a62c66107cbe28.jpg

Last edited by fuzzy dunlop (Wed 21 Nov 2018 2:03 pm)

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Golden Fox in Walmart eh? How much do they go for Pip just out of interest? Asda should get them in the George range. They are massive btw. I got the equivalent US size to my normal UK size (ie one up) and they are about a full size too big. Had to get some 'volume adjuster' insoles.

The premium leather soft toe goes for $80, so about 60-odd pounds.  Wal-Mart also carries a cheaper boot by a Hermans Survivors brand that also looks quite smart.

pipoldchap wrote:

This very interesting thread is doing my head in! Are you talking hiking boots, work boots, or smart casual boots? Or are you talking mix 'n match here? Perhaps I'm too dyed in the wool for my own good, but I always think to keep them functionally separate, viz. I wouldn't wear my cowboy boots in shitty weather nor would I wear my Timberland hikers, snow boots or work boots down the high street or to the pub. Right now, though, I've only got my beloved black 1460 DMs and I'm somewhat reluctant to get them messed up in the wintry wastes already covering my neck of the (Penn's) woods. Those Golden Fox look good, I have to say, and Wal-Mart of all places carries them for a relative song.

I thought general winter boot wear not specifically for a given. Purpose. I've got approach shoes for long walks with dawgs  (just got a 12 week old Italian Greyhound to go with the Llassa) but wanted some all purpose pull ons.

I will wear anything to the pub.

Treated myself to some Trickers Stow a few years back - stunning boots but not for walking around in shite (as Pip points out)

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunlop/dp/B07D … s_sh_3_vtp

tops rolled over

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

I'm with pip on this. All separate. Hiking boots are for hiking or muddy festivals or when it's snowing. Any kind of footwear has to have a purpose. I see people out wearing trainers that are for running in or down the gym, donning them in the pub and scooting round town.. nah fuck that. There's gym trainers and pub

Bass weejuns do a great winter boot similar to a few of those on the first page.  Atom retro have a pair in now at 85 quid down from 185 and USC have a few styles sub £100.

I love the lyndon hi bison.. good winter boot for 92 quid

https://www.usc.co.uk/bass-weejuns-lynd … e=11808405

Bass weejuns

Bit of  a moot point, for me. I live just outside of Keswick so if the, winter, weather is crappy, it's hiking boots. If it's just cold, approach shoes, of some sort..................pub or otherwise. Only pair of proper shoes I have are some Loakes brogues - not ideal for day to day around here.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Approach shoes always sound like the sort of thing a bearded Bradford lorry driver might favour.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Harvest wrote:

Approach shoes always sound like the sort of thing a bearded Bradford lorry driver might favour.

Bit like 'sneakers'......

Harvest wrote:

Ha ha ha, yeah true.  Might get some brothel creepers and consider them full defence of any morally questionable behaviour.

Took the Tims back to the shop and claimed me Black Friday discount - 45 sovs. Celebrated with a Full English on the Quayside.

Harvest wrote:

I find "walking trainers" a, very, orthopaedic/orthotic term .....

CharlieG wrote:

Bit of  a moot point, for me. I live just outside of Keswick so if the, winter, weather is crappy, it's hiking boots. If it's just cold, approach shoes, of some sort..................pub or otherwise. Only pair of proper shoes I have are some Loakes brogues - not ideal for day to day around here.

I bought some New Balance KOM the other day - really good and sure footed.  A little unsure about their ability when it gets really wet mind you.  It can rain bloody hard in SW London at times

scootay wrote:

I'm with pip on this. All separate. Hiking boots are for hiking or muddy festivals or when it's snowing. Any kind of footwear has to have a purpose. I see people out wearing trainers that are for running in or down the gym, donning them in the pub and scooting round town.. nah fuck that. There's gym trainers and pub

Bass weejuns do a great winter boot similar to a few of those on the first page.  Atom retro have a pair in now at 85 quid down from 185 and USC have a few styles sub £100.

I love the lyndon hi bison.. good winter boot for 92 quid

https://www.usc.co.uk/bass-weejuns-lynd … e=11808405

Bass weejuns

Bass bigjuns

https://www.blacks.co.uk/footwear/25071 … brown.html

Reg, get your dream boots matey.

placidcasual wrote:

https://www.blacks.co.uk/footwear/25071 … brown.html

Reg, get your dream boots matey.

Lovely mate.  I might just.

And these:

https://www.blacks.co.uk/footwear/25072 … lsrc=aw.ds

Whats the deal with Berghaus and Brasher? I know Berghaus do the old Hillmaster and Hillwalker classics that Brasher did now. I didn't know Brasher were still knocking out boots tbh. I really like those Country Master ones above. Look smart. Brasher were always a bit too wide fitting for me. I'm one of those narrow footed bastards who fall over easily in a strong side wind . Its a real shame but I've always been weary of excessive 'heel slip' inside my boots. Nobody wants that on a steep descent.

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Whats the deal with Berghaus and Brasher? I know Berghaus do the old Hillmaster and Hillwalker classics that Brasher did now. I didn't know Brasher were still knocking out boots tbh. I really like those Country Master ones above. Look smart. Brasher were always a bit too wide fitting for me. I'm one of those narrow footed bastards who fall over easily in a strong side wind . Its a real shame but I've always been weary of excessive 'heel slip' inside my boots. Nobody wants that on a steep descent.

Brasher and Berghaus have been under the same parent company for years. While Berghaus is a well known brand in Europe, Brasher has, pretty much, been a UK only entity. For that reason some bright spark decided to market the boots as "BERGHAUS with Brasher technology/design". There was no change in the quality of materials, design or manufacturing. Although the plan seemed to work, for the international market, the arse dropped out of British sales as Brasher customers perceived the change as a "cheapening" of the brand  - cue loads of irate red sock wearers, of a certain age, getting the pitch forks and torches out and screaming "Burn them!". The Hillmaster, etc, is now back to being Brasher, in Britain, at least.
I blame Brexit and Thatcher.....

Thanks Charlie. I was getting terribly confused. "Back to Brasher" there's  good a song in that.