Re: Winter Boots

CharlieG wrote:
fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Whats the deal with Berghaus and Brasher? I know Berghaus do the old Hillmaster and Hillwalker classics that Brasher did now. I didn't know Brasher were still knocking out boots tbh. I really like those Country Master ones above. Look smart. Brasher were always a bit too wide fitting for me. I'm one of those narrow footed bastards who fall over easily in a strong side wind . Its a real shame but I've always been weary of excessive 'heel slip' inside my boots. Nobody wants that on a steep descent.

Brasher and Berghaus have been under the same parent company for years. While Berghaus is a well known brand in Europe, Brasher has, pretty much, been a UK only entity. For that reason some bright spark decided to market the boots as "BERGHAUS with Brasher technology/design". There was no change in the quality of materials, design or manufacturing. Although the plan seemed to work, for the international market, the arse dropped out of British sales as Brasher customers perceived the change as a "cheapening" of the brand  - cue loads of irate red sock wearers, of a certain age, getting the pitch forks and torches out and screaming "Burn them!". The Hillmaster, etc, is now back to being Brasher, in Britain, at least.
I blame Brexit and Thatcher.....


When did Berghaus become perceived as a cheap brand? Is it a cheap brand?
My first Gortex coat was a Berghaus £24 35 years ago so that wasn't cheap for a waterproof, no lining coat. Wish I still had it it was truly waterproof and also warm. I had a bubble type jacket later that was £55 when a girl was £66 a fortnight.
Both quality. Haas that changed then?

Human kindness is overflowing

Share

Re: Winter Boots

I think berghaus is popular amongst the watch cap wearing youth.

Aim Low and miss...

Share

Re: Winter Boots

I think Berghaus is ace. My boots have had some mileage over the years and are still bob on. Did me fine on my 30 miles over 2 days stag do a couple of months ago in severe weather.

I've got a vintage coat by them that I love. It leaks nowadays and I wish their new stuff looked as good as the old Trangos and Mera Peaks but its still quality in my eyes. Some of their leisure wear like hoodies etc is now popular with the types of youths who ride around Northern cities on mountain bikes, pretend to be gangsters and are a target demographic for JD Sports. Still a top label though.

Share

Re: Winter Boots

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

I think Berghaus is ace. My boots have had some mileage over the years and are still bob on. Did me fine on my 30 miles over 2 days stag do a couple of months ago in severe weather.

I've got a vintage coat by them that I love. It leaks nowadays and I wish their new stuff looked as good as the old Trangos and Mera Peaks but its still quality in my eyes. Some of their leisure wear like hoodies etc is now popular with the types of youths who ride around Northern cities on mountain bikes, pretend to be gangsters and are a target demographic for JD Sports. Still a top label though.

Not just a northern phenomena mate

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Winter Boots

After working in the outdoor gear market for four years ( post early retirement) I can tell you that there is immense kit snobbery. I, too, have had a Mera Peak jacket and it certainly did the job and I have Helvelyn overtrousers which are superb. Most of the outdoor pros and the minted walkers won't touch Berghaus, though. It's all Arcteryx, Rab, Paramo and Fjallraven - I'll also include Montane and Mountain Equipment. Most folk could get away with stuff from Mountain Warehouse for what they do, to be honest.
As I say, it's , mostly, brand snobbery.................we all get our trainers from George or M and S, don't we? wink

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Not just a northern phenomena mate

Really? I don't know what type of clothes I imagined Southern kids would wear tbh. Victorian Chimney sweep style in London and Pirate in the West Country maybe. I assumed the more outdoorsy labels like North Face and Berghaus were more of a Northern phenomena with the street ninjas. Maybe cos of the shit weather up here, I dunno.

I was walking through the Arndale the other week and little mob of them were tearing through on mountain bikes swerving round people. Black North face or Berghaus coats with hoods up the lot of them. One of them threw a Greggs pasty at someone. I'd have never done that at their age. Shocking waste of a pastry product.

Share

Re: Winter Boots

CharlieG wrote:

Most of the outdoor pros and the minted walkers won't touch Berghaus, though. It's all Arcteryx, Rab, Paramo and Fjallraven - I'll also include Montane and Mountain Equipment. )

I'm wearing a Montane Prism coat in my kitchen right now whilst working from home. They are toasty warm and I'm fucked if the heating is going on before I pick the kids up.

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Best coat i've ever had...

https://i.imgur.com/ggdv5kD.jpg

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Cracking bit of kit. I was with Gobby this afternoon, took him all of five minutes to get on about Berghaus (Me) and Mountain Equipment (Biz) jackets.

Human kindness is overflowing

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Nice curtains them, sort of Egyptian touch. That said, I feel that a lot of the heat generated by that radiator is going to go up the wrong side? I'm no expert but I'm thinking efficiency.

BTW. Love Berghaus, quite dear out here, so usually buy when I am back.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Share

Re: Winter Boots

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcmgbmXXkAY74Pw.jpg:large
Mountain Equipment. Loved that coat...the hair on the other hand.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Winter Boots

I got me self a proper old skool Mountain Equipment fleece for 45squid this year. Proper big & chunky.

I like berghaus, them meera peakes are the business still.

I got myself a mountain warehouse pair of walking boots, full leather, vibram soles, fully waterproof, but made by kids in China. Tested them out on an 8mile hike around Pen y Fan & 2 other peaks on Sunday & they did the job. No blisters or trench foot. £63. Spot on

I am just a common breed

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Travis Bickle wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcmgbmXXkAY74Pw.jpg:large
Mountain Equipment. Loved that coat...the hair on the other hand.....

You like an Irish Paninaro. Thats an ace pic!!!!!

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Cutsyke wrote:

Cracking bit of kit. I was with Gobby this afternoon, took him all of five minutes to get on about Berghaus (Me) and Mountain Equipment (Biz) jackets.

Ha ha, think you and I had the same conversation

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Just looked on millets website. Full goretex berghaus jobs for £100!

I am just a common breed

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Not sure this belongs here, but wow!

https://www.upworthy.com/patagonia-s-ce … JyUhg2_MCs

#DoTheDai \o/

Share

Re: Winter Boots

CharlieG wrote:

After working in the outdoor gear market for four years ( post early retirement) I can tell you that there is immense kit snobbery. I, too, have had a Mera Peak jacket and it certainly did the job and I have Helvelyn overtrousers which are superb. Most of the outdoor pros and the minted walkers won't touch Berghaus, though. It's all Arcteryx, Rab, Paramo and Fjallraven - I'll also include Montane and Mountain Equipment. Most folk could get away with stuff from Mountain Warehouse for what they do, to be honest.
As I say, it's , mostly, brand snobbery.................we all get our trainers from George or M and S, don't we? wink

Never had a Paramo coat before until I bought one recently - they are pretty good to be honest.  The material is completely different from GoreTex and you don't believe it will be waterproof as a result - it is though and isn't as 'noisy' when you're wearing it

Everything I buy the kids is from Mountain Warehouse and it's all good gear,  has proven to be waterproof and lasted well.  Very good for the price especially as they get a maximum of 9 months out of things........(my 7-year old is in size bloody 5s for God's sake!)

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Winter Boots

I've worn my Berghaus AQ2 jacket just about every day for what must be 10 years. I reckon it's got another 20 in it.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Winter Boots

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
CharlieG wrote:

After working in the outdoor gear market for four years ( post early retirement) I can tell you that there is immense kit snobbery. I, too, have had a Mera Peak jacket and it certainly did the job and I have Helvelyn overtrousers which are superb. Most of the outdoor pros and the minted walkers won't touch Berghaus, though. It's all Arcteryx, Rab, Paramo and Fjallraven - I'll also include Montane and Mountain Equipment. Most folk could get away with stuff from Mountain Warehouse for what they do, to be honest.
As I say, it's , mostly, brand snobbery.................we all get our trainers from George or M and S, don't we? wink

Never had a Paramo coat before until I bought one recently - they are pretty good to be honest.  The material is completely different from GoreTex and you don't believe it will be waterproof as a result - it is though and isn't as 'noisy' when you're wearing it

Everything I buy the kids is from Mountain Warehouse and it's all good gear,  has proven to be waterproof and lasted well.  Very good for the price especially as they get a maximum of 9 months out of things........(my 7-year old is in size bloody 5s for God's sake!)

Got my first Paramo jacket three years ago. For the first few months I had a Gortex shell in my rucksack as I didn't, entirely, believe it would work. It does and I now have another two - lightweight, standard weight mountain jacket and a standard weight for around town in the winter. Have sold the Mera Peak but swear by the Berghaus Helvelyn, Gortex, overtrousers. Hate membrane ( Gortex, E-vent etc) jackets for strenuous walking/ cycling - may as well be wearing a plastic bag. That's my opinion, mind.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Travis Bickle wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcmgbmXXkAY74Pw.jpg:large
Mountain Equipment. Loved that coat...the hair on the other hand.....

Great coat that.

Reminds me, they are on about remaking the Lion King aren't they? :-)

Share

Re: Winter Boots

fuzzy dunlop wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcmgbmXXkAY74Pw.jpg:large
Mountain Equipment. Loved that coat...the hair on the other hand.....

Great coat that.

Reminds me, they are on about remaking the Lion King aren't they? :-)

big_smile

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
fuzzy dunlop wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcmgbmXXkAY74Pw.jpg:large
Mountain Equipment. Loved that coat...the hair on the other hand.....

Great coat that.

Reminds me, they are on about remaking the Lion King aren't they? :-)

big_smile

Brian may was ginger AND a Leeds lad?

Go badgers!

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Travis Bickle wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcmgbmXXkAY74Pw.jpg:large

Wind the bobbin up
Wind the bobbin up
Pull pull, clap clap clap.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Share

Re: Winter Boots

Harvest wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcmgbmXXkAY74Pw.jpg:large

Wind the bobbin up
Wind the bobbin up
Pull pull, clap clap clap.

Exactly what I put when I put the picture on Twitter a while back. No idea what I was actually doing.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...