Topic: Anybody Up For Some Best of 2018 Type Lists?

Or are you all as optimistic as me that the football, books, music, movies etc December will bring will blow the past 11 months offerings out of the water?

Album, And Nothing Hurt.
Movie, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Documentary, Three Identical Strangers.
TV, Marvellous Mrs Maisel.
Book, Beastie Boys Book. 
Football, Bielsa.
Boxing, GGG getting robbed. Fuck the result, still a great fight.
Gig, The Eels Brooklyn Steel.
New Band, Fontaines DC.
Best posts on OMJs, The Halifax match  reports.
Radio, NPR.
Podcast, Bundyville.
Instagram Account, Lukeunabomder.
Gone But Not Forgotten, Anthony Bourdain.
MIA, Misura, always a smart poster. Also miss Flash Harry's book recommendations.

Special.thanks to Trav, Harvest and Rudi, beautiful people. Peace love and positive vibes to each and everyone of you and all your loved ones.

Last edited by Cutsyke (Sun 16 Dec 2018 4:35 am)

Human kindness is overflowing

Re: Anybody Up For Some Best of 2018 Type Lists?

Album - Speakers' Corner, Nick Ellis

Movie - The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Book - John Cooper-Clarke's new one.  About time an' all.

Cycling - Geraint Thomas winning the TdF; love the mumbling none-PR aspect of him

Gig - British Sea Power; choose from Nottingham, Brighton or Hebden Bridge and they'll be fucking incredible a week on Saturday in Leeds as well..

...Special Small Gig mention for The Burning Hell - Hyde Park book club last Sunday.  They're wordy and a bit smug, but I right likes 'em.

New Band - No one at all has caught my attention this year, despite various recommendations for Goat Girl, The Orielles and Mush

"We are The Fall"

Album: The Beths - Future Me Hates me/Paul's Boutique - Beastie Boys

Film: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Book:  Dead mans Trousers

Football: Villa 5 - Forest 5

Gig: The Weather Station - The Hare and Hounds kings Heath

New band: The Beths

Cycling:  Froome fucking with the Giro and making  mincemeat of the Zoncolan and showing cautious riders to fuck the fuck off.an beer: 

Poncy can beer:  I've probably had nicer but for consistency and price in a pricey market the Boston Tea Parrty from Bad Co in asdol is fucking bang on.  NEIPA flavoured with tea.

Edit:  Added cycling.  I love cycling much to my wife's consternation.

Last edited by danpiesley (Sat 08 Dec 2018 4:57 pm)

Aim Low and miss...

Album - Sorry.  Nowt jumped out at me this year.  Was listening to hip hop mostly.  I thought it was a shite year for music.
Film - Dead Pool II is the only thing I really enjoyed at the pictures.  I thought it was a shite year for cinema.
Book - Didn't really read anything I could rave about.  I thought it was a shite year for literature.
Football - Anything Bielsa said.  Someone should really write down what he says so next year he can win two categories in these lists.  I thought it was NOT a shite year for football.
Gig - It would be one of the comedy ones rather than the music this year. 
New Band - Nowt really grabbed me this year.  I think it was a shite year for new bands.

2018 was a fucking shite year.  I'm glad it's coming to an end.

People are Twats

Book - Mick Herron 'Slow Horses' (old one but new to me this year, whole series of them, well worth a read)
Film - You Were Never Really Here
Album - Black Thought 'Streams of Thought Vol 1'
Gig - Cud at The Wardrobe
TV - Seven Seconds
Football - probably Brighouse Town away in July, beautiful Summer's evening, ground literally on the doorstep, Town won 7-1, all that pre-season optimism. Just remember feeling really, really happy.

Not been a bad year tbh, kids are healthy and I'm still married to a woman I actually like. Starting running has been a bonus, feeling good on it. And for that I'm grateful. I say that because I know plenty on here have had a lot to deal with. Add to that the fact that the world seems to have gone f***ing crazy and, like I say, I'm grateful.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Album - the blue hour. Suede. Their best since Dogmanstar
Book - in to the silence. About Malory & Irving up Everest. So good.
Film - I liked the Han Solo one ?
Tv - the bridge.
Gig - too hard this. Either the cure Hyde Park, Suede Hammersmith or Interpol at the Albert Hall
Song - believer/ pretender Sons of Bill or suede fly tipping.
Experience- nude swimming place in Malmo. One of the few times I have felt at peace.
Heroes- Malory & Irving, Lawrence of Arabia & Gertrude bell
2018 generally a shit year personally. Both me & my partner both lost our jobs. But kids are doing well & happy. So keep plugging away while things make less sense!

I am just a common breed

Mmm, let's see.

Album - only bough one and we've done it great service on here.  Goodbye Mister Pussycat.

Books - been reading the Sharpe series for pure escapism.  Great yarns.

Film - Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri.  Epic acting from three leads.

Gig - Rory Holl at my local.  Walked home.

TV - got into Fortitute and am rewatching Lovejoy.

Experience - taking kids to London for three days. 

Song - nothing really stands out.  Queen of All Saints and Working Family by Mick Head are stormers.

2018?  Two parents passing away between me and the missus so a year of loss I guess.  Healthy and happy family though so blessings counted.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Album: Khruangbin - Con Toldo El Mundo
Film: Wont You Be My Neighbour (doc.) / Mandy (fict.)
Gig: Had to be a DJ gig this year - Keb Darge playing 50's to mid 60's surf and garage rock to the kids in Tokyo blew me away.
TV: Not really, can't watch a series past 3 series as I get bored, so blew it out.
Song: Phenomenal Handclap Band - Judge Not (Ray Mang Special Mix) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDE_PdjrdJ8
Experience: Bringing up a bilingual kid and getting her to work at both languages. I've sent myself back to school as well, now know 200 kanjis, feel free to test me.
Book: I only read Japanese text books now.
2018: Been tough, the little one has frazzled us at times, swinging between she's ace and then wondering if she's autistic, need to reconnect with the missus in 2019. Think the kid is okay, it's our first so have no point of reference. Who knows. [goes back to song and clicks repeat - all about stolen moments..]

Last edited by king of the slums (Sat 08 Dec 2018 2:36 pm)

#DoTheDai \o/

To be honest, the only lists I can come up with for 2018 is for shit films, shit TV and shit gigs that I wish I hadn't bothered with.

People are Twats

Book - A City On Fire - Garth Risk Hallberg - like Short Cuts, but set in 70s(ish) New York and its a book - Who Killed the Girl ?
Gig- Amber Arcades at the Dome - danced with daughter during this more than the rest of our lives combined
Album - Lily's new one (closely followed by Amber and European Heartbreak)

Albums

Idles - joy as an act of resistance
Orielles - silver dollar moment
Paul Weller- true meanings
Wooden shjips- V
Spiritualised- and nothing hurt
Nick Ellis- speakers corner
Shame - songs of praise
The fernweh- the fernweh
Parquet courts- wide awake
She drew the gun- revolution of mind
Tea street band- frequency

Can't be arsed going out to the car on crutches to see what else I've bought but I think that about covers it

Gigs

Tea street band at kendal... it went off
Other great gigs were wooden shjips,  idles (If you've never seen them you need to... just fuckin do it) teenage fanclub.
Not seen British sea power this year, first year of absence since 2002 I think.. I've got mercury rev on Thursday and I reckon that's gonna be the gig of the year, followed by mick head on Saturday.

Films
Three billboards
Journeyman

Books
Roger daltrey- thanks a lot Mr kibblewhite
Dog rounds -  Elliott worsall

Sport
Bielsa!!!
Josh Warrington beating Lee Selby
Tyson fury getting up from that murderous combo

Tv tv
Ozark
Killing eve
The informer

Shit end to the year fucking my knee up. Missed six gigs, had lots of pain and bored to fuckin death. But the rest of the year has been good.. no complaints

Edited to add best new band fontaines D.C. got tickets for the Leeds gig next year

Last edited by scootay (Sat 08 Dec 2018 12:55 pm)

Album: Not a new one, but the album I played most this year was Untrue by Burial.
Film:  I only saw one, a documentary about Studio 54.
Gig: Michael Head & The Red Elastic Band, Leeds
TV:  Struggling here ....
Song: The Prince Of The Vagabond People by Oddfellows Union
Experience: Turning 50
Book: Apart from mine (!?!) It was a graphic novel called Sabrina by Nick Drnaso. Very odd, stayed with me for weeks.

Thanks for reminding me about The Phenomenal Handclap Band.

Aim Low and miss...

x2

YMAT Fontaines DC I thought they'd be right up you street.

Cycling - Geraint Thomas winning the TdF; love the mumbling none-PR aspect of him

Hardly saw any of it this year. Shift work sucks.

Last edited by Cutsyke (Sat 08 Dec 2018 7:57 pm)

Cutsyke wrote:

YMAT Fontaines DC I thought they'd be right up you street.

I saw Fontaines DC (by chance) a couple of weeks ago at Leeds Uni as support with HMLTD (formerly Happy Meal Limited, the gayest/campest band I've ever seen, not my thing, but a great show) to Shame.

Fontaines DC were raw, but their lead singer had an intensity and presence similar to Ian Curtis, and a not dissimilar style to the main act.

Shame -  I don't go to see that many gigs these days, but they blew me away. Their lead singer is very charismatic -  they're one of those bands so much better live than on record. 

Give this track "Angie" at 29.42 a couple of minutes to get going.

https://youtu.be/5aYTwVrWZjU

Discovering this...  https://www.arkrecordingstudios.com/discography/

Jay Lewis,s album Back to the fountain , it maybe later than 2018 but I've just found it

Nick Ellis , Speakers Corner

Gig - Proffessor Yaffle , Nick Ellis , PJ  . Top night (oddjob may say different) quality thru-out , PJ,s storys are class i hope he gets to publish them , Nick ellis tuned up beforehand playing Love songs "don't stop keep playing them was the cry" his rant about Liverpool football club whilst they were losing to Real madrid in the champions league final was ace "they've ruined communities for a football ground" it went on for about 15mins .

Mick Head @ the belgrave social , just great to see everyone off here and all the usual suspects from harehills east end park , great night

One month in Portugal loved every minute
My trip to Tuscany visiting Pisa and Florence and having misura message me whilst walking the streets of Florence with directions  the wife and daughter were amazed with my knowledge of the area and directions lol lol lol

2019 - ODDJOB/OBL69 more of the same please , putting on two out of these three was some achievement

Maybe get to see the Doves again , daughters knuckled down for her school exams next year wheres that time gone ? Portugal again for a month and I've bought a learn portugese cd for the car might just surprise the wife and daughter with my fluent portugese in the summer doubt it !

Last edited by hendersonjones (Sun 09 Dec 2018 11:14 am)

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

Unless it happened in the last few months i lose all track of time, so apologies if some of these happened last year (or the year before).

Album: Oh My by Nadine. Lo-fi slow burner. And the Limiñanas one.
Fillum: Isle of dogs
Book: Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead, Uncommon People - The Rise and Fall of the Rock Star by David Hepworth.
TV: Barely watch it but Killing Eve was fun and had a great soundtrack. And the bit in The Bodyguard where Keeley Hawes scratches an itch in her pants briefly elevated a load of old tosh into high art.
Gig: Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Roddy Frame were great value. Gig of the year might have been Orbital had they not held it in the fucking foyer of the Sage. Instead it was NALA at the Northern Electric Festival. A young lass, mad as a box of frogs, throwing some shapes behind a synth and obviously having a great fun. It was contagious, as at the end I had big grin on my face, felt about 16 and wanted more, which is what it’s all about I guess. She’s a purveyor of ‘sad dance’ apparently.
Football: Bielsa the Alchemist, for turning base metals into gold and for a cliche free approach to interviews.
Food: the fresh empanadas from an Argentinian cafe down a back street in Paris.
Place: The allotment.

2018: Not a bad year although i’m ending it being made redundant (looking forward to the time off).I increasingly get depressed though at how we seem to be fucking things up for future generations

"I'm not very good at being a hedonist... ...must try harder"

Albums: 'Physical' Gabe Gurnsey, 'No Shame' Lily Allen, 'Call the Comet' Johnny Marr and 'Record' Tracey Thorn.

Tracks: 'Queen' Tracey Thorn, 'Planet E' Tiga, 'Heart of Data' Factory Floor and 'Cover Me' (Dixon Remix) Depeche Mode

Gigs: David Byrne at Brighton Event centre, A Certain Ratio at Hebden Bridge Trades Club, Asian Dub Foundation live soundtrack to La Haine at Festival No6, Angelique Kidjo at RFH and Bernard Butler acoustic set at the Kings Head, Crouch End.

Football: Enjoyed exploring some non league grounds...Maidenhead, Leamington Spa and Sutton Utd. From a Leeds Utd pov, shout out to whoever is behind the nostalgia trip that is the 'LUFC Wilderness Years' YouTube channel.

Books: Sonic Youth Slept on My Floor, Dave Haslam and Sleevenotes, Bob Stanley.

Movies: Being Frank, The Chris Sievey Story (Steve Sullivan); MIA, Maya, Matangi (Steve Loveridge) and Cowboy Dave (Colin O'Toole)

Last edited by Deadly Doug's Love Child (Sun 09 Dec 2018 6:22 pm)

CBIT wrote:

Book - A City On Fire - Garth Risk Hallberg - like Short Cuts, but set in 70s(ish) New York and its a book - Who Killed the Girl ?
Gig- Amber Arcades at the Dome - danced with daughter during this more than the rest of our lives combined
Album - Lily's new one (closely followed by Amber and European Heartbreak)

Said it would grow on you!

Film : Billboards
Book : I never finish them...or Audio Books
Album : And Nothing Hurt
Gig : Oddjob Promotions - The Welsh bands at Hyde Park Book Club were really good.
Trainers : Nike SB's
Shoes : Some old Red Wing boots (not the clod hopper ones)
Jumper : Uniqlo Navy Lambswool.
Poster : All o yawl...
Thread : Halifax match reports
Newly discovered restaurant : Poco, Kirkstall Road for lunch. This place for tea : https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran … gland.html
Pub : The Bridge, Kirkstall
Footballer : Kalvin Phillips
TV : Informer or Bodyguard apart from the endings
Twitter Account : Paul Robinson he's piss funny
Podcast : Top Flight time machine makes me laugh out loud The Keane Odyssey was daft as fk...

Last edited by placidcasual (Wed 12 Dec 2018 4:01 am)

And the Limiñanas one.

Yes!

Wasn't Billboards last year?

Cutsyke wrote:

And the Limiñanas one.

Yes!

Wasn't Billboards last year?

Must have been a shit year for films then.

Cuts, I've found your Christmas present.

https://i.ibb.co/56cqpS8/GC-Hero-1920x1080.jpg

He spent all night staring down at the lights of LS. Wondering if he could ever go home.

Driving while over the blood/cheese limit.

Trainers - More Norman Walsh
Basewear - Janus Norway Merino Wool
Boots - Red Tape Red Lakes
Socks - Ex-Army from Johnsons of Leeds
Bowze - Fireball or Medium Sherry

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.