Topic: Factory Records

Not sure if this has already been posted

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

Re: Factory Records

If everyone who reckons they were into all those Factory bands actually was Factory would be bigger than CBS. Few grear bands and lots of mediocrity. Not sure what the greatest indie is, probably Creation?

Human kindness is overflowing

Cutsyke wrote:

If everyone who reckons they were into all those Factory bands actually was Factory would be bigger than CBS. Few grear bands and lots of mediocrity. Not sure what the greatest indie is, probably Creation?

I never really ever cared about labels (apart from after two tone when I was younger).  It was the band.  I remember Jam being Polydor but it never turned me into any other of their acts. 

I couldn't even tell you who some of my favourite bands were with when I liked them.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

K-Tel? wink

I always thought the general consensus was Factory was shite, based on the second raft of bands they signed. The NME seemed to delight in taking the piss out of them in the early 80s.

Cutsyke wrote:

Not many could touch Creation in the late 80’s early 90’s?
But at the end of the 90’s they signed utter shite apart from the Super Furries. Mishka anyone? No thought not

I am just a common breed

Cutsyke wrote:

Rough Trade?

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Stiff?

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

4AD

#DoTheDai \o/

Thought about them and Mute maybe. Rough Trade's a good shout. Sub Pop - were they an indie?

Not the greatest by any stretch, but Morgan Khan's Streetwave label and their Street Sounds compilations had a massive impact on dance music in the UK.

Going off on a tangent. Coolest thing to do when you go to college?

Weird that. Was thinking of Def Jam when I posted about Streetwise. They were independent at the start in '83 but, I think, CBS took over distribution pretty soon after. They ended up as part of Universal I think. Rubin was/is such an important bloke in music.
Linked to Def Jam, Rush Management is another hugely important 'independent' company that did a lot for music (albeit Simmons' stuff on Twitter is the most banal, cracker-barrel 'wisdom' bollocks you'll ever read. Not convinced he was anything to do with it tbh).