Topic: Smoking - cost of

I saw the other day that the fags I used to smoke, Regal filter nose burners, are £11.60 for twenty.  They were about £4.50 when I stopped.

Fuck me how do people afford to smoke?  Especially on limited incomes.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Re: Smoking - cost of

How much are Rothmans these days? My tab of choice, pre 2000 when I jacked it  in

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

CharlieG wrote:

How much are Rothmans these days? My tab of choice, pre 2000 when I jacked it  in

£8.35.  I don't remember there being price differences for well known brands back then do you?  Apart from the new white ones like Lambert's and Superkings.  Then they brought sweepings up one's in like Mayfair and Richmond's I seem to remember. 

I rolled my own for the last year or so to make it more of a ball ache.

In Liverpool on Saturday night, guy in a shop wanted £14 for 20 Marlborough lights... when my mate enquired if he was taking the piss he just casually said no.. so he asked for another brand.. rothmams silver or summat £8 everywhere he wanted 12 quid

Robbing cunt

Marlboro touch, innit

I smoke chesterfields, to my consternation, I have tried and failed on numerous occasions to quit.  six months being my best attempt.  I am all lined up for the new year - new vape and a steely determination. 

Anyhoo - I pay £8 for 20.  It is mental.

I was talking to youngest about vapeing, as he is desperate for me to quit, and I made noises about vape juice being expensive, too which he replied - well you pay £8 for a pack of fags.

Out of the mouth of babes - well 14 year old boys.

Aim Low and miss...

Packed in a while back now. Old man was a 40-a-day smoker for over 60 years. Went to vaping and barely smokes a 'real' cig now.
I used Champix. Worked for me and I was a fairly heavy smoker.
Worth the effort.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

^^ From the doc?

Any side effects?

Aim Low and miss...

I remember going thirds with two mates on 10 B & H a lot when we were kids. They were 54 and a half P.  We'd have 3 each and share the last one.

10 No6 from the machine next to Langdon's newsagents at the top of Shaw Lane. 50p and when they came out they had 10p changed taped to them. Push-top boxes.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

danpiesley wrote:

^^ From the doc?

Any side effects?

Yep. I was amazed at how easy stopping was on them. I'd tried patches and stuff before that never got close to working. Don't recall any side-effects tbh.

Only thing I used was exercise. Started cycling to work, went swimming twice a week and the gym three times a week. Coughing me guts up for a month and if I felt desperate for a tab I went for a run or a bike ride. Also, for the first month, I stopped drinking so as to avoid being in smokey pubs - the downfall of all previous attempts.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

^^^  This  - booze is my Achilles heel.

I feel I might need a month off the pop.

TB - cheers.

Last edited by danpiesley (Tue 18 Dec 2018 2:19 pm)

Aim Low and miss...

Travis Bickle wrote:

10 No6 from the machine next to Langdon's newsagents at the top of Shaw Lane. 50p and when they came out they had 10p changed taped to them. Push-top boxes.

My mum smoked them.  Dad Rothmans or Peter Stuyvesant.

They also had to wash the walls, ceiling, glass light fittings and net curtains every 3 months.

Used to get a 5p separate - usually a number 6 or number 10 - from the "ethnic" shop at the bottom of Armley Ridge Road and smoke it at the bus stop, waiting for the 81 into town.

Gave up for a couple of years in my 20s.

Eventually kicked them into touch when told they would rot the platinum wire in my brain and kill me within two years if I didn't.  I think they were about a £5 a packet for B&H silver then.

I used patches to give up.  It was still fucking hard though.

People are Twats

We used to have a cig machine in my house when I was growing up. The club man used to make them. All my aunties and nana had one. Like a small cabinet with a drawer at the bottom. You'd put two ten pence pieces into two slots at the top and pull the drawer out, ten Embassy Regal.

I stopped in 2007. Used patches, which gave me spectacularly vivd dreams; zombies, vampires, epic chase scenes. I used to look forward to going to bed every night. Best thing I ever did, giving up tobacco. Like being let out of prison. Can't seem to jack weed in though.

Used to watch the old man coughing his guts up every night. Forty a day man. Best advert I ever saw for not smoking. Always disliked it.

Mind you, seeing him come home pissed never kept me off the ale.

"We are The Fall"

I used to smoke Marlboro lights. Reading Allen Carr’s Easy way to stop smoking about 5 times did the trick for me. Still kicks in now - one cigarette and I am a smoker again, puts me off every time I’m tempted.

Rudi wrote:

We used to have a cig machine in my house when I was growing up. The club man used to make them. All my aunties and nana had one. Like a small cabinet with a drawer at the bottom. You'd put two ten pence pieces into two slots at the top and pull the drawer out, ten Embassy Regal.

I stopped in 2007. Used patches, which gave me spectacularly vivd dreams; zombies, vampires, epic chase scenes. I used to look forward to going to bed every night. Best thing I ever did, giving up tobacco. Like being let out of prison. Can't seem to jack weed in though.

Not got much liking for the weed they have nowdays.  It's too demotivating.  I liked to get up and do shit when I'd had a smoke.  Not smoked for years though but every now and then I get a craving for dooby.  Some nice black, pollenated leb, or some trippy double zero.  Kids today don't know what they've missed out on.

People are Twats

Sunset & Vine wrote:

I used to smoke Marlboro lights. Reading Allen Carr’s Easy way to stop smoking about 5 times did the trick for me. Still kicks in now - one cigarette and I am a smoker again, puts me off every time I’m tempted.

It's the hell I went through when giving up that stops me from starting again.

People are Twats

Can't stand cigs. Amazing bit of salesmanship that.
I know you were expecting me to return with gold but I've got these leaves. You roll them up, set fire to them then breathe in the smoke.
As a kid I used to open all the windows in ours if we had a visitor who smoked.
That said, I think there's something missing in bars these days now people aren't allowed to light up in them amymore.

Human kindness is overflowing

Cutsyke wrote:

Can't stand cigs. Amazing bit of salesmanship that.
I know you were expecting me to return with gold but I've got these leaves. You roll them up, set fire to them then breathe in the smoke.
As a kid I used to open all the windows in ours if we had a visitor who smoked.
That said, I think there's something missing in bars these days now people aren't allowed to light up in them amymore.

It's easier to sneak for a couple of scoops on the way home without reeking of tabs though.

space wrote:
Rudi wrote:

Not got much liking for the weed they have nowdays.  It's too demotivating.  I liked to get up and do shit when I'd had a smoke.  Not smoked for years though but every now and then I get a craving for dooby.  Some nice black, pollenated leb, or some trippy double zero.  Kids today don't know what they've missed out on.

You may want to investigate a local dealer.  You can pretty much get anything you want and it is not far off 1980's prices.

I bought an ounce of red leb in the summer for £120.  It was really mellow - a lovely high, just enjoying music and being on the same wave length as the other people partaking.  Very social.

I've been offered zero zero, squidgy black and even liquid black.  It seems to be making a comeback.

Last edited by danpiesley (Wed 19 Dec 2018 1:28 pm)

Aim Low and miss...

Squidgy black, must be 15 years since I heard that. Gave it up yonks ago.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Never liked weed, it made me spew or fall asleep.  Don't even like the smell.