Topic: Stupid crazy stuff your parents did when you were kids

I remember moving house in the early 70,s and my parents upgrading / putting their own stamp on the decoration within the first few weeks of moving in

1, white polystyrene fake tile bricks around the fireplace and painting them grey then pinning horse shoe ornaments to the polystyrene

2,not happy with the kitchen cupboards , seem to remember them being avocado green with chrome handles , so they improved them by pasting wallpaper on to the doors which looked like wood cladding

thinking back they probably wanted a nice country cottage but couldn't afford one , so disguising our suburban townhouse had to do

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

Re: Stupid crazy stuff your parents did when you were kids

Driving home with a bucketful of ale on board most nights in the 1970s

"We are The Fall"

Good shout YMAT, my fatha too.

Also, smoking tabs in the house when they had 3 kids, one asthmatic.

Driving the whole family (only 2 kids at the time) from the northeast of England to the South of France in a bright orange MGBGT

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Thinking about it I'm sure we had that fake wood sticky back plastic on some drawers and cupboards. My dad was very make do and mend, you couldn't go anywhere in the house without finding something patched up with electrician's tape.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

In fact he once bound up my flapping slipper sole with bright blue electrician's tape, wound round the bottom and over the top. I wore them like that for months.

They came to look after our house once when we went on holiday. I later found that the kitchen door no longer bumped against the bottom radiator valve. It was now cushioned by a wad of black electrician's tape. He must have carried an emergency supply whenever he left the house.

Driving to fort william / ben nevis camp site , my dad , mother , grandad , nan , me and my sister and all our luggage and camping gear in a RELIANT THREE WHEELER CAR for the week

That you Rodders?!

Again back in the 70,s we were either getting a gas supply or we were cut off or there was a strike can't remember which , anyway we had a gas cooker so inorder to make myself and my sister some breakfast my dad ironed bread to make toast yikes

Mike Jones wrote:

That you Rodders?!

No thats my dad

H's parents some of the nicest, kindest, funniest people I've ever met. I know it was before you were born but I always loved the Bingo Bus story. It shows devilment and kindness in equal measure.

Human kindness is overflowing

Cutsyke wrote:

H's parents some of the nicest, kindest, funniest people I've ever met. I know it was before you were born but I always loved the Bingo Bus story. It shows devilment and kindness in equal measure.

The bingo bus can you just imagine early 1960s bus full of tittle tattling women going to bingo pinnies rollers scarfs the full getup and my old man and his mates playing Arthur Seaton

hendersonjones wrote:

Driving to fort william / ben nevis camp site , my dad , mother , grandad , nan , me and my sister and all our luggage and camping gear in a RELIANT THREE WHEELER CAR for the week

We did that too apparently, three wheeler to North Wales, I was a baby. Asked my sister where I sat, 'Well, on my knee'. Obviously.

We weren't allowed to flush the toilet when someone was on the phone. What?

Probably the same reason many people had a telephone voice, used to crucify my Ma for sounding all posh on the phone - "well, you have to make a good impression, don't yer", as she's talking to the fella from Radio Rentals or summat.

My Dad made everything into a fucking trek.  All the time we lived in Leeds, not once did he take us anywhere up north for a holiday.  Instead he'd drag us all the way to Rye, or Newquay.  It would always take 12+ hours due to lack of motorways, it being a summer Saturday, shitty old cars, kids being sick.

For two years he had to work and live in Winchester so we were within spitting distance of Bognor and Weymouth.  Did he take us there even once?  Nope.  That's when he decided that we had to go to Scarborough and Morecombe so queue up more 12 hour journeys.

People are Twats

hendersonjones wrote:

Your Dad’s a cast iron legend mate.

hendersonjones wrote:

Again back in the 70,s we were either getting a gas supply or we were cut off or there was a strike can't remember which , anyway we had a gas cooker so inorder to make myself and my sister some breakfast my dad ironed bread to make toast yikes

Ha ha, brilliant!!

'Light us a cig'
Not sure when that request started coming from the old man when he was driving. I was probably 12-13ish. No wonder I spent 20 years addicted to the f***ing things....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Switching the TV and stuff off and not being allowed to use the phone during a thunderstorm, because of surges down the line..

#DoTheDai \o/

My Dad painted Delacroix's Joan Of Arc in our living room. And a jungle scene in the bathroom resplendent with tigers, parrots, hanging monkeys etc etc The council made him paint over it all when we left. If he'd have just waited until City of Culture he'd have got a grant. He also painted everything in the back yard silver when him and his mate whipped a load of paint off a ship. The dustbin, the fence, the gnomes, everything. Like Brian Eno on Bransholme.

My dad threaded his pottering about the garden shoes with wire when his laces snapped.

Did anyone have a super ser in the house. Basically a tank of gas used for heating. We had one in my bedroom growing up in the 70 & 80s.It was left on all night in the winter. Maybe they are safe enough but wouldn’t have one now

Struggling In The Vortex, With My Jacket Made of Goretex, It Fits Wonderfully

Heating in your bedroom? You’re just showing off.

Cutsyke wrote:

Heating in your bedroom? You’re just showing off.

Ha, when we lived in Bramley i remember waking up to the inside windows covered in ice.

Old fella thinking nothing of downing half a dozen pints or more and then driving us somewhere.

i remember waking up to the inside windows covered in ice.

I get the impression my kids think I'm making that up when I tell them.

Going to bed in your school uniform was a bit extreme but my cousin who's bedroom was in the attic of their shop in Harehills did that regularly.

My old man had two pieces of bamboo taped together with an elastaplast on the top which he kept on the floor beside the sofa. TV remote.