Topic: New Forum Software Go Live - 28th January 2019
As you all know I've been banging on about changing the software for the forum for over a year.
Well it's now finally ready.
So to set a few expectations here's what you need to be aware of and what needs sorting out before we make the leap into the abyss:
1. The date for lift off is the 28th January - between 10pm and 11:30pm we will be down. Relax. It's not the great crash again. It's just me trying to shift the data over. Once that's done it may take a few hours to point www.onemickjones.com at the new hosting server so it's more likely to be the early hours on the 29th before you can post in Nit Nat Reborn. OK?
2. Please check your email set against your profiles in the current site. You'll need that to be correct when we flip over as you will have to request a password on the new site and without a correct email address you'll be pissing in the wind.
3. Read number 2 again. Please. It's in red.
4. The new site (for reasons that will become clear after we swap over) will only allow user names without spaces in them. So I will now be Loose_Lips not Loose Lips. I will add an underscore to any user name with a space. If you dislike it, fine. Use it once to initially log in with your new password that's been emailed to you (see number 2 again) and changed your profile name when you get into the site. No doubt you'll all change your names and we can spend weeks guessing who is who anyway.
5. I have managed to save all posts since we last crashed way back when. BUT I cannot guarantee every link, every quote box, every URL will be look 100% correct. The links will be there but maybe not all clickable. The more recent links from the last few years should be fine I reckon I have got 95% of them. But if you email me that Harvests' posts about Greenland and his hot lamb sandwich from 2014 don't look spot on, you will find only deaf ears.
6. There will be private messaging on the new site. It's now working but I can't convert the old PM's from this site. The new site just handles everything differently. I will however be keeping the old site data as a backup. So - if you have been relying on PM's for phone numbers etc. Best make sure you have contact details for each other before we move.
So, bar a mate at work who is sorting out the Youtube links for me (yes they will work before the 28th) here is the test site link as it stands....
Or just take a look at this link about Factory Records where it's been correctly converted with Youtubes and pictures plus posters quoting each other.
On go live day you will just use...