Re: Great Albums You've 'Rediscovered'

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Zqy4eYD2X6A/R9_XB2MaxpI/AAAAAAAABk4/_-Xxs--9s6c/s200/bassomatic.jpg

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

The Mothers Of Invention - Just Another Band From L.A.

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/f/frank-zappa-the-mothers-of-invention/album-just-another-band-from-la.jpg

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/e/edie-brickell-new-bohemians/album-ghost-of-a-dog.jpg

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Peter Astor - Submarine. Class

The fat lady sings -  singles

I am just a common breed

Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Listened to the Cure's 'Disintegration' last night for first time in years. Enjoyed it a lot. Atmospheric and consistently good right through. Nice album for this time year.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uB-0D-gV8mY/SEc8Qk7WMkI/AAAAAAAAJVA/NlQDYqP9Uyw/s400/pink+military

XTC - Skylarking

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/08/givememoney/image/06_skylarking.jpg

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

XTC - Skylarking

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/08 … arking.jpg

While your at it pop this in the 'bad LP covers' thread.

Smutty Lips wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

XTC - Skylarking

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/08 … arking.jpg

While your at it pop this in the 'bad LP covers' thread.

Yeah.  But I suppose it's like saying your favourite pork pie shop has shit paper bags.  Doesn't really matter.

Everything But the Girl - baby the stars shine bright

Before they went housy & shite. The one with a face like its been hit with a shovel, shes got a cracking voice.

I am just a common breed

under the arches wrote:

Everything But the Girl - baby the stars shine bright

Before they went housy & shite. The one with a face like its been hit with a shovel, shes got a cracking voice.

Tracey Thorne - great voice, one of the best.

U2 - the Joshua Tree.

Havent listened to this for ages. Not many albums that start that good. Even old Bono's a twat, the band sound really good on this record.

I am just a common breed

Ride - Nowhere. Just had its first airing in about 15 years.

http://www.thewire.co.uk/images/artists/ride/nowhere.jpg

Site stalwart.

If your feeling sinister  - Belle and Sebastian

Not so much re-discovered but eventually grown into. Neil Young. I compare him to sprouts. Just not interested as a teenager, you know of it but just think "what the fucking hell is all that about" then in your 20's you know it's good for you and you try it/them and you just can't force yourself to like them/it, then in your 30's it just clicks and your maturing taste grows into Mr Young and the sprouts. Same for Tom Waits and Spinach..

under the arches wrote:

U2 - the Joshua Tree.

Havent listened to this for ages. Not many albums that start that good. Even old Bono's a twat, the band sound really good on this record.

Hmm - I bought that when it came out. Played it once. Thought it was shit. Haven't played it since. Have no intention of playing it again in the future. 'Orses for courses it seems....

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

placidcasual wrote:

Not so much re-discovered but eventually grown into. Neil Young. I compare him to sprouts. Just not interested as a teenager, you know of it but just think "what the fucking hell is all that about" then in your 20's you know it's good for you and you try it/them and you just can't force yourself to like them/it, then in your 30's it just clicks and your maturing taste grows into Mr Young and the sprouts. Same for Tom Waits and Spinach..

So much to go at. Early stuff/folk/country/hard rock/feedbacky stuff/live. Some great, other not some much, some very poor. I think the greatest honour a rock star can have thrust upon them is having one of their album titles as an OMJ username.

Site stalwart.

Harvest wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

So much to go at. Early stuff/folk/country/hard rock/feedbacky stuff/live. Some great, other not some much, some very poor. I think the greatest honour a rock star can have thrust upon them is having one of their album titles as an OMJ username.

Has he released an album called siegetherescue?

Metal box - PIL

Harvest wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Couldn't be doing with him when my Dad played him, or so I liked to say, but I'd put Rust Never Sleeps on when nobody was about wink
Rust Never Sleeps, Tonight's the Night, Everybody Knows, Ragged Glory are quality, Trans and Landing on Water on the other hand...

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:

Rust Never Sleeps, Tonight's the Night, Everybody Knows, Ragged Glory are quality..

All brilliant. i know its from early 90's but i really rate Harvest Moon too. That 'dreamin man', the live album from that period is beautiful. Like Placid says i'd have never been into that when i was younger. Was 28 when I first got into him, something just clicked. Saw him play Isle of wight a couple of years ago and he started with just him and an acoustic doing 'from hank to hendrix' etc . There were droves of young people streaming out at the beginning to go watch calvin harris or some shite like that while the oldies were entranced with daft grins everywhere smile. Turned into one of the best gigs i've ever seen when the rest of the band came on. 'Down by the river' was goose bump city. His voice was amazing.

'On the beach' as well is one of my favourite albums. Love the dark, world weariness of it.  Revolution Blues is fucking immense! The way the guitar and bass lurch, like watching a leopard run or something and the way he delivers the psycho charlie mansun line at the end'  cool

Last edited by fuzzy dunlop (Fri 05 Nov 2010 2:39 pm)

I'd forgotten how good 10,000 Maniacs were - I only had their UK debut to rediscover and Spotify doesn't have that, but I've digged the stuff they do have.

Also China Crisis, I always loved African and White, but never really appreciated them too much beyond that, there is much appreciating going on right now.

Any particular tracks Smutty?

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

Just about all of Working With Fire and Steel - inparticular Here Comes A Raincloud.

I've had Spotify on shuffle - and i've banged in loads of groups, I liked something by - as per China Crisis, and after pricking my ears up at about three of theirs on shuffle (without noting names) I then stuck the debut on.