Re: Best Band Ever To Come Out of Leeds

It's not for me to say but did you Leedscunians ever connect with the likes of Mekons, Gang of Four, Delta 5 and GAOB - where they Leeds bands or Leeds Uni bands?

Agony Column?

I liked the early Expelaires, but not their later stuff - madness at the mission and all that crap.

Very few bands thought of as being 'Leeds', never regarded most of those you mentioned as being home town.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

david harvey's monkey wrote:

The Craters - Ah, many a happy night listening to Col mudering Bread and Butter at St Andrew's on Butcher Hill. Honourable mention for Bagman.
Toxic Waste - only one gig that I remember, CND job at the Lawnswood Arms

Ital Rockers/Irration Steppas

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Djpekingman wrote:

Dance Chapter
Gang of Four
Mekons
Delta 5
Girls at our Best
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Sisters (Lurch aka Craig Adams was previously in the Expelaires)
Weddoes
Nightmares on Wax

Hull surely?

CBDS wrote:
Djpekingman wrote:

Dance Chapter
Gang of Four
Mekons
Delta 5
Girls at our Best
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Weddoes
Nightmares on Wax

Hull surely?

I don't know why, I always thought they were a scouse band. Just a hunch.

Smutty Lips wrote:
CBDS wrote:
Djpekingman wrote:

Dance Chapter
Gang of Four
Mekons
Delta 5
Girls at our Best
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Weddoes
Nightmares on Wax

Hull surely?

Hull's a VERY tenuous claim; Chris, the Lorries drummer, was at Uni there, but he's originally from Wakefield. Not sure about the rest of them.

"We are The Fall"

Young Marxist at Tescos wrote:

Expelaires.  Craig out of The Sisters was with them I think.  Had a track on that Hicks From The Sticks compilation album in the early 80s.

Ventz were another shower of Nazi shit as well, as I recall.

Forgot about the Ventz all part of the ziggy heil fraternity

I like dead musicians ,not live music.

Smutty Lips wrote:
CBDS wrote:
Djpekingman wrote:

Dance Chapter
Gang of Four
Mekons
Delta 5
Girls at our Best
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Weddoes
Nightmares on Wax

Hull surely?

Well Hull can have the yellow lorry & Liverpool the red one .Makes sense
we all have to compromise sometimes

sidcramp wrote:

best band ever to come out of Leeds, Sids Ashes - mind you I would say that cos it aws my band. The Butterflies (pre GAOB were pretty good). As for th F Club having an NF reputation, it had none of the sort, in fact there was many a rumble outside as the regulars tried to keep them away.

It wasn't in your face ,people running round Zieg Heiling on cue  more subtle
  i clearly remember a few occasions having a friendly chat to people in there .The conversation would go something like "what's it like where you live any problems ?" if peoplle mentioned any problems they would say why not join the  NF .followed by their particular solution to  what ever the problem was obviously  Race being high on their agenda . i found this more subtle approach quite unnerving tactically after witnessing "Blitzgrieg " on the World at War I also remember bands getting a barrage of racist comment after saying something against the NF .

Sid do you remember a lass from Wakefield lived up Chapletown Followed the Ants
I think she was called Debbie ?bleached blonde spikey hair attractive she had a massive Ants poster on the wall of her bed room ,or maybe living room

Last edited by soldierant (Tue 12 Oct 2010 12:57 pm)

CBDS wrote:
Djpekingman wrote:

Dance Chapter
Gang of Four
Mekons
Delta 5
Girls at our Best
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Weddoes
Nightmares on Wax

Hull surely?

Nah, Leeds.  One or two of them are still knocking around town

onandoff wrote:
CBDS wrote:
Djpekingman wrote:

Dance Chapter
Gang of Four
Mekons
Delta 5
Girls at our Best
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry
Weddoes
Nightmares on Wax

Hull surely?

Nah, Leeds.  One or two of them are still knocking around town

Definately Leeds - even wikipedia says so. They used to live in the Haddon Hall. Drummer went on to join the Mission.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

sidcramp wrote:

best band ever to come out of Leeds, Sids Ashes - mind you I would say that cos it aws my band. The Butterflies (pre GAOB were pretty good). As for th F Club having an NF reputation, it had none of the sort, in fact there was many a rumble outside as the regulars tried to keep them away.

Sidcramp, were you Cramps Sid? Sometime associate of AndyM and Beeston scene?

tenuous but Doves

formerly SubSub and at the Poly ...

What about Age of Chance or the Autuers not that I know like, but most on this list were poncy students on which basis you should add Soft Cell.

i didn't read the full thread to be honest and didn't see that AOC were missing. someone on here will be 'angry' wink

Bridewell Taxis or Howards mad lot

If you're talking PURE Leeds though, there aren't many to choose from.

Very true. Can you get past 3? Not sure I can, but not clue up on recent.

Once got told The Bridewell Taxis were all from south Leeds...that's the best I can do.

Last edited by Young Marxist at Tescos (Tue 12 Oct 2010 8:11 pm)

"We are The Fall"

Once got told The Bridewell Taxis were all from south Leeds...that's the best I can do.

Well you.missed Ronnie Hilton and Luke Haynes and the fellas in Aoc maybe.......

AOC - FJ is Leeds, the singer don't think so, Geoff was/is a scouser and Jan ?

And Luke Haines was born in Walton on Thames. So Ronnie Hilton and the Bridwells it is. big_smile

I am Cramps Sid, friend of Andy.

onandoff wrote:
sidcramp wrote:

Sidcramp, were you Cramps Sid? Sometime associate of AndyM and Beeston scene?

There was a Debbie McCauley used to knock around with us, very attractive and into the Ants, maybe she is the same Debbie.

soldierant wrote:
sidcramp wrote:

i clearly remember a few occasions having a friendly chat to people in there .The conversation would go something like "what's it like where you live any problems ?" if peoplle mentioned any problems they would say why not join the  NF .followed by their particular solution to  what ever the problem was obviously  Race being high on their agenda . i found this more subtle approach quite unnerving tactically after witnessing "Blitzgrieg " on the World at War I also remember bands getting a barrage of racist comment after saying something against the NF .

I think she was called Debbie ?bleached blonde spikey hair attractive she had a massive Ants poster on the wall of her bed room ,or maybe living room

sidcramp wrote:

There was a Debbie McCauley used to knock around with us, very attractive and into the Ants, maybe she is the same Debbie.

soldierant wrote:
sidcramp wrote:

It could be all i remember she lived up Chapletown two street behind the main rd on the left hand side of the main rd [was it Rhounday Rd?]Very attractive blonde spikey hair from Wakey originally  this would have been July 79 ?[Don't think it was the 78 gig] I remember me & her watching the Ants rehersing at Erics in Liverpool when Longfellow the roadie came over after the rehersal finished & asked if she wanted to go for a meal with Adam She went red & declined .I asked her way because we were both starving i said she could have brought a doggy bag back with her She said she didn't want the rest of the Ants followers taking the piss out of her

You still in contact with her ?

Last edited by soldierant (Mon 25 Oct 2010 5:57 pm)

soldierant wrote:

"You still in contact with her ?"

asked soldierant nonchalantly, though there was a discernible chord of hope, lust and desperation in his voice.

(An extract from the 2010 follow-up to the 1979 Mills and Boon classic "White punks on love", titled "Middle-aged punk on hope" [Stand and Deliver press]). wink

I did have an ulterior motive as it happened ,which wasn't what you thought but now you've thought of it i might nick your idea she was a lovely looking lass back then wonder how much times changed her ?
Still need Sid on board though to do the dating agency bit

Last edited by soldierant (Mon 25 Oct 2010 11:47 pm)