Re: Christmas Dinner. Where? When? What?

One of the best Christmas Days I ever had was when I was living in Prague. Came back on a whim, thought, I'd surprise my Mam and Dad. Imagine my surprise when I discovered they'd fucked off to Benidorm for Xmas. Got their key off the bloke next door and spent three happy days on me Jack Jones, eating toast and supping Guinness. A period of reflection and contemplation. Wonderful.

Her parents and our, grown up, kids at our new house in The Lakes. Might get out for a Christmas morning bike ride, if I'm lucky.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Christmas eve in the Parador restaurant inside the Alhambra. Christmas day, just a wander down the beach and somewhere down there. New years eve in the village and then out for new years day. My old fella died Christmas eve and me Mam on New years day - both a longtime ago, so generally do stuff on those days and raise a glass rather than the main event.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Mol wrote:

Decision made. After years of travelling to in-laws or back to Ireland I really cannot be arsed shifting anywhere on Christmas day. Especially when I'm not fecking obligated to do so. But friends get so offended when you turn down their invite. Why? I'll be much happier on my own.

"We just didn't like the thought of you there on your own.".

"I'll be grand, can't wait. No pressure, just chill out.".

"Oh, right. Really?.".

"Yes. Really. I'm looking forward to it in fact.".

"Oh, in that case.".

"You two have a lovely day though.".

I might just stay in bed all day.  big_smile

Must have been '96 or '97. I split with my ex and was permanently pissed from about the 20th to early January.  Christmas Day was at my old man's. We had turkey and all that but he knew I was just after tying one on so played some decent songs and joined me. We did a biblical amount of gin and passed out.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Misura wrote:
Mol wrote:

Decision made. After years of travelling to in-laws or back to Ireland I really cannot be arsed shifting anywhere on Christmas day. Especially when I'm not fecking obligated to do so. But friends get so offended when you turn down their invite. Why? I'll be much happier on my own.

"We just didn't like the thought of you there on your own.".

"I'll be grand, can't wait. No pressure, just chill out.".

"Oh, right. Really?.".

"Yes. Really. I'm looking forward to it in fact.".

"Oh, in that case.".

"You two have a lovely day though.".

I might just stay in bed all day.  big_smile

You're all heart Mis.

Last edited by Mol (Sat 13 Dec 2014 2:53 pm)

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Last xmas I couldn't get up to Leeds because the weather fucked up the rail network. Family down here in Brighton had gone to Mexico.
First ever xmas on my own. Went down to the beach in the morning, cooked an early dinner, in the pub by 2 which was open till 6.
got slightly drunk, in bed by 9. Wasn't bad at all.

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

You're all heart Mis.

big_smile yer knows I loves yer.

Might pop into the hare and hounds at Menston Jona lewie is on.

Stop the carvery

Sorry

orkney crab , rib of beef all the trimmings , treacle sponge and all washed down with a bottle of lebannese chateux musar

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

Rudi wrote:

One of the best Christmas Days I ever had was when I was living in Prague. Came back on a whim, thought, I'd surprise my Mam and Dad. Imagine my surprise when I discovered they'd fucked off to Benidorm for Xmas. Got their key off the bloke next door and spent three happy days on me Jack Jones, eating toast and supping Guinness. A period of reflection and contemplation. Wonderful.

http://cdn.arn.com.au/media/9856/home-alone-home-alone-31423371-1876-1027.jpg

Just my wife, my daughter and me this year at home.  Just how me and my daughter prefer it (she's like me, miserable git) , although my wife would like a few of the family round for dinner but problem is where to stop with the invites.  "If we invite them, then we have to invite them.........."   

And we're having steak, not turkey. 

We usually have a few round ours on Boxing Day but Leeds/Wigan has won that one this year.  I'll probably regret that and wish we'd invited the inlaws round !!!    We've already been to 2 christmas house parties and I'm sure there'll be a few more in the next couple of weeks.  Not much planned though,  just how I like it. Out for fish and chips tonight though at Websters. My daughters idea about 4 years ago and we've done it since. Hopefully we'll still be doing this when she's old enough to take us there herself.

Last edited by Little Billy Bremner (Wed 24 Dec 2014 11:16 am)

All going to me mams Rothwell home of the rubarb triangle.
A triangle of shit.Horrible fucking stuff

Saw some news clip yesterday on the rhubarb triangle. Some woman going on about the mild weather tricking the plants to come out early. She described the triangle as world famous. If the world ends at Normanton, she's probably right.

Site stalwart.

Off here for roast suckling pig and warm lamb.

http://q-ec.bstatic.com/images/hotel/max300/122/12298718.jpg

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Ended up not having a Christmas lunch as I managed to contract man flu a few days earlier. So I ended up service lunch to the rest of the family. Looked nice.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

Not long to go now.  Doing the usual Turkey, Beef and Gammon for christmas dinner.  Boiling the gammon the night before, as it always tastes better after a night in the fridge.  the Turkey this year is one of those turkey breast joints which I'll do in my halogen oven.  The beef will be done pot roast style in a slow cooker for about 10 hours.  That leaves the main oven for the roast potatoes and the pigs in blankets.  Red cabbage steamed in cider, a few boiled veg. 

Al I have to do is cheat a bit with some Aunt Bessies yorkshire puds and I can get away clean for about 12:30 and go to the pub with my eldest lad while the women types finish up.

Sorted.

Last edited by space (Mon 30 Nov 2015 9:57 am)

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Mmmm.  Dry turkey, excellent gravy, overcooked sprouts, perfume flavoured parsnips, pigs in blanked which would be better in a a scuffler with brown sauce for breakfast.  All at Mother in Law's and too early at about 1:30 so I can't get a few smooths in at the pub with the chaps.

Everyone asleep by 4pm and 6 bin liners full of kids' presents which we will then have to extend the house to accommodate.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

I'm away for the holidays so had fake Xmas already with mates in Wales. Taking my Mum and grand parents to the Three Fishes in Mitton just outside Clitheroe.

Beltin' pub. And no cooking wink

Pisser about Christmas Day is that you wake up early as fuck with the kids but are too busy pissing about with presents to get the bacon in plus if you do then you risk looking at a plate of turkey etc and not fancying it.

Sisters house first time ever. If anyone knows any homeless folk let me know as there will be enough waste to feed all of St Georges crypt residents and the rest of West Yorkshires homeless put together.

Stress levels will be ridiculous and the floor under the fridge will need reinforcing at her place.

Can't wait for about 6 on xmas day when I get home. Fucking grumpy twat that I am.

Last edited by Old Man (Mon 30 Nov 2015 10:44 pm)

Doctor's Beach, Montego Bay. Jerked chicken or Goat curry and a couple of Jamaica's finest I expect...

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Djpekingman wrote:

Doctor's Beach, Montego Bay. Jerked chicken or Goat curry and a couple of Jamaica's finest I expect...

I fucking love curried goat.   Reminds me of the ice cream van outside Sonny's in Chapletown at about 4 in the morning.   Red Stripe and whizz anyone?

At home. Mrs cooks. And keeps it simple. Turkey and the usual but she does it well. A few days of not having to spend a second thinking about work will do me for Christmas.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

At home with the kids. Turkey and leg of pork, stuffing, Roasties, spiced red cabbage, carrots nips, sprouts, Yorks puds. Bottle of red. Sleep. Wake up make butties with selection of above in