Re: The Wire

I love that prostitute episode. Lovely "in joke" wink

http://www.infowars.com/

"And it's a fact, you are cold, they react, Dream Gerrard."

Fuck me. This is my wire story. Found it long long ago when i was reviewing sat Tv weekly and raved about it being past the sopranos and shield on here.
Watched first two series then skipped three and four and five after sky plus fucked up two eps into three. Had the misfortune to listen to Simon Mayo saying it was the best programme on TV and that kind of discovery kind of put me off, being a cultural snob that i am.

Catching up now.

Never read these threads because i didn't want to spoil plot . So here I am watching the penultimate episode and it starts with a cowboys shoot out bewteen Omar and the Bowtie.  Then Omar's wandering round in his longcoat. All the imagery is Straight Outta Tombstone. I don't know if anyone's made these points on here or in the press or message boards but The Wire should be called The Old Wire West.

Then they kill Stringer!

Well anyway. I just wanted to register my shock.

http://twitter.com/@sabotagetimes
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/

david harvey's monkey wrote:

Never read these threads because i didn't want to spoil plot

Had the misfortune to listen to Simon Mayo saying it was the best programme on TV

Then they kill Stringer!

Well anyway. I just wanted to register my shock.

Imagine the shock of any poor bugger who hasn't got to the end of series three reading the above.

Thing about Simon Mayo is that he regards hiself as some sort of intellectual bringing kultur to the masses in easily digestible chunks. One I really can't stand is his mate Mark Kermode. I knew him slightly when he was at college in Manchester and he came across as a self-satisfied, humourless, arrogant cunt. He doesn't seem to have changed much, or at all, over the years.

¡50337 '50337 '50337

I like them both. Mayo is a good broadcaster who has adapted well. Knows when to keep quiet and when to push.

I like Kermode too. I don't give a fuck about his hair (plenty of other media beauts with shit hair), he's knowledgeable, passionate and Friday afternoons, especially three till four, is one of the best shows on radio.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

luxury_scruff wrote:

I like them both. Mayo is a good broadcaster who has adapted well. Knows when to keep quiet and when to push.

I like Kermode too. I don't give a fuck about his hair (plenty of other media beauts with shit hair), he's knowledgeable, passionate and Friday afternoons, especially three till four, is one of the best shows on radio.

I must admit that I listen to the Mayo/Kermode podcast, although I prefer it when Andrew Collins is on as a substitute.

God forbid you have an opinion that differs from Kermode's. There's a difference between being knowledgable and passionate on the one hand and being arrogantly unable to countenance varying points of view on the other. He reminds me of sixth-former types convinced that the bands they're into are the bestest, bestest ones in the entire wide universe and go out of their way to belittle people who don't share their devotion. Most people grow out of that.

¡50337 '50337 '50337

It's The Beatles who were the best for fucks sake!!!   big_smile

'Never ever forget what the Tories did to us in Wales...they are lower than vermin' Nye Bevan.

The Beatles astride a magnificent viaduct, weaving through Kermode's quiff as Bono in his Pearly King outfit shoves cold lamb sausages up Jagger's nostrils whilst Stansfield pisses out hydrant jets of Landlord.

Draw that Klaus.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

My opinion of Kermode is this. Just because you are well versed in the history of film, can cross reference and contextualise your reviews, and talk passionately about them, doesn't mean your taste is any better than anyone else's.

The bloke's a skiffle band ffs.

Well I looked at that for nearly eight minutes and worked my way through three replies centred around hair (especially the place of big quiffs in rock and roll music/imagery and skiffle as a punk prototype), professional attributes and a critic's role as a guide not an arbiter of taste.

Has he ever killed your dog or something like that? Or somebody you knows dog.

Metaphorically speaking of course.

I know the bloke, I don't have any problems with him at all. He's a great talker on film, I just don't think he has any inch of awareness that knowledge doesnt make him 'right'.

According to the bbc website,BBC 2 showing all the episodes soon.

Throw those curtains wide,just one day like this a year would see me right.

My favourite film ever when I was 7 was Star Wars.

When I was 12 it was Quadrophenia

When I was 22 it was The Godfather 2

When I was 32 it was it's a wonderful life

When I'm 37 it's City of God.

It changes.....it should always change.....

'Never ever forget what the Tories did to us in Wales...they are lower than vermin' Nye Bevan.

he came across as a self-satisfied, humourless, arrogant cunt. He doesn't seem to have changed much, or at all, over the years
Sounds like me.

Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity

Ad's Website

And the votes are in from RR Land....

4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 5

.. and I loved season 5. It's just that it was the last and ******* got killed.

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Bobdobalina wrote:

According to the bbc website,BBC 2 showing all the episodes soon.

starts Mon 30 March

To be someone must be a wonderful thing
A famous footballer or a rock singer

My GOD a British broadcaster FINALLY cottoning on to the best Cop TV series ever.

Well fuckin blow me down.

Is it changing?

Could the death of Jade see the changing of the guard.

United are faultering, X Factors viewings are dropping, Heat is on the verge of folding, no one gives a fuck about the Beckhams anymore.

Could this be the dawning of a new age...?

DUN DUN DUUUUN!

Mcnulty's on 'This Morning' at 12:15. Got a beard . Talks like a public schoolboy.

john charles is god wrote:

United are faultering

Eh? We're in good form right now. There's only one United butty smile

Here lies the body of Mary Lee; died at the age of a hundred and three. For fifteen years she kept her virginity; not a bad record for this vicinity

Ad's Website

bushnut wrote:

Mcnulty's on 'This Morning' at 12:15. Got a beard . Talks like a public schoolboy.

He went to Eton

saw him on Breakfast this morning

talking about the film he is working on

gave away the ending 

sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt  roll

My mate was in College with him....UBER posh and confident with it apparently.

But I'm not holding that against him.

Same as Damien Lewis (also UBER posh and confident) both superb actors.

(Hence being confident I suppose! ha).

Ps It's over...the Wire is now everyone's favourite series. We all need to find something else...Svengali anyone? big_smile

john charles is god wrote:

Ps It's over...the Wire is now everyone's favourite series. We all need to find something else...Svengali anyone? big_smile

you seen any of this mate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sons_of_Anarchy

First time I've caught The Wire, embarrassing as that might be to admit, but I'm enjoying it.  Was warned it does get better so was happy enough with the first 3.  Thing is it means Mad Men is on even later now on 'normal' BBC2 telly, which is a pisser.  But I'll live.

You'll all know better than me on this, but is it the case that whatever HBO produce in America is instantly better than anything else that's made in the US?

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Anything else in the word.

As they say...it's not Television...it's HBO.

Keep up man....;)

i just hate cops, cant watch cop shows i just hope they all get offed. is it worth me watching?

watched the Wallace episode last night on BBC2

1st time I've seen it in a while

D'Angelo screaming at String "where's Wallace?, where's Wallace?"

top drawer