Re: Beer of the day

Hook Norton 303 AD - nice.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

The highlight of my recent trip back to England beer wise was  Calderd Ale (geddit?) brewed by the Elland Brewery, the downer was the barrel ran off after just one.

It tastes massively of toffee which I thought rather clever given Halifax's pre-eminence in the toffee industry of old. It's not available all year round, they brew it every april apparently.

In the past I've griped about the prevalence of pale hoppy bitters, but i'm acclimatised now and often enjoy one now.

Tonight I am mostly drinking Tiger beer.

A nice accompanyment to two griddled tuna steaks.

[i]Freak out, Sugar! Come with us to Grantham[/i]

Blue Monkey Brewery Amber Ale - nice.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

Joseph Holt Bitter - nicer.

St Austell's Brewery - Tinners Cornish Bitter.

Har Har me hearties...

Had a bottle of English XB Ale last night from of all places, Aldi. Brewed byBatemans for them, 4.5%. Bitter with a nice bite, £1.19, fill your boots.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

I've had that, it's ok. Decent choice of ales there + a lot cheaper than most places.

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

Sheperd Neame - Canterbury Jack.

Hoppy but thin.

Hook Norton Castle Lion - easy to sup, citrusy and light(ish). Made my pipeworks rumble though.

*I'd give that two minutes*

White Horse Bitter  4.1%.  Quid thirty something a bottle in Morrisons.  Nice light refreshing taste.  not to hoppy.  Will suit a summers afternoon in the gazebo.

Eating tofu and hating it.

I have never been a real ale drinker but What i discovered on my little tour of the Uk & Ireland was iam quite parcial to  cold draught bitter .
After a nice pint i decided to stay on bitter or guinness for the whole two weeks .
Not as though we were caining it
Tennents Velvet in Edinburgh was quite nice.Think it was Smeythics or something close in Ireland
Which wasn't too bad either
Why is the bitter  always warm round these parts ? taste's like Witch's piss 
Bombadier in London was particulary fowl even though that was cold

Iam now expecting to be "hung ,drawn & quatered " by the puritans tongue

Last edited by soldierant (Mon 04 May 2009 11:36 pm)

I like dead musicians ,not live music.

soldierant wrote:

I have never been a real ale drinker but What i discovered on my little tour of the Uk & Ireland was iam quite parcial to  cold draught bitter
Tennents Velvet in Edinburgh was quite nice.Think it was Smeythics in Ireland

Do they still serve 80 shilling in  frozen glasses up in Sweaty land ? and Export. Now that was nice.

gorefidel wrote:
soldierant wrote:

I have never been a real ale drinker but What i discovered on my little tour of the Uk & Ireland was iam quite parcial to  cold draught bitter
Tennents Velvet in Edinburgh was quite nice.Think it was Smeythics in Ireland

Do they still serve 80 shilling in  frozen glasses up in Sweaty land ? and Export. Now that was nice.

I didn't notice the 10 shillings stuff  .which export you refering to ?
It just seemed to be the same shite you get down here .Mind you we were in te touristy "old City "part

Strange place really .all the bars shut at 11 & you couldn't sit outside after 10 .
We were just going out around 10 ish for a couple of pints before crashing .

There were loads of Leeds shirts in the charity shops up there .
The whyte & macay & strongbow ones
Maybe the locals  just supported the drink ?

The best place we visited was   Achill island in County Mayo .
my old punk mateBrothers  from Bradford retired there a few years back because their Dad was from there .
The beach was just outside the pub .stunning view from the bar 
I met a Man ure fan who had MOT as is ringtone said it was because his best mate was a Leeds fan
How sweet !
He  game me the number so i was ringing him at every opportunity
In fact the 5 Leeds fans in there were ringing each other so all the phones went off in unison .
We couldn't be arsed singing it ,anyway we didn't want to disturb people watching the footy
We were there when the Chelsea v Arsenal game was on .there were a few Arsenal & Chelski fans  who also moved there .

Last edited by soldierant (Mon 04 May 2009 11:52 pm)

soldierant wrote:

I have never been a real ale drinker but What i discovered on my little tour of the Uk & Ireland was iam quite parcial to  cold draught bitter .
After a nice pint i decided to stay on bitter or guinness for the whole two weeks .
Tennents Velvet in Edinburgh was quite nice.Think it was Smeythics or something close in Ireland

It's not warm, it's cellar temperature so you can acually taste it.

That cold creamy draught stuff is cold to disguise that fact it has no taste, same with lager over here. All that mass produced cold stuff is just made to get you pissed quickly, before they invented alcopops, proper beer is made to taste nice - it just happens to make you merry. big_smile

www.scattorrockbrewery.com

Brew one of the best beers i've ever had - Guzzler, stumbled across it in the Kings Head in Huddersfield. Sensational stuff.

kaydubya wrote:
soldierant wrote:

It's not warm, it's cellar temperature so you can acually taste it.

That cold creamy draught stuff is cold to disguise that fact it has no taste, same with lager over here. All that mass produced cold stuff is just made to get you pissed quickly, before they invented alcopops, proper beer is made to taste nice - it just happens to make you merry. big_smile

Well my tastebuds must work in reverse.?
When i worked the beer fests at the Uni i would try some of the ales
They all tasted the same to me "swamp water " or what i imaging it to taste like .
That Tennents Velvet definatly had a nice taste to it .Honest guv !
Can you get it down here ?
It Didn't have the cold creamy head on it .Thats the worst bit for me

I know what you mean about the lager though .I only drink on a Sat night these days
As soon as i have oone pint it's like Liquid speed with me i am off ,
I am on auto pilot .ijust keep throwing them down my neck till i can't walk
Then i can't remember a thing the day after .
It's got that bad i limit the amount of time i am out now
It's not exactly the kind of night out iam looking for these days
I think i need to do more research before i convert

Last edited by soldierant (Tue 05 May 2009 12:35 pm)

soldierant wrote:

Looks like I won't be getting a ticket to Millwall away so I'll be in the pub next Saturday dinnertime for the game

come meet me mate, I'll give you an introduction to real ale at the same time too

KW you about too?  I'm gonna be in Saltaire I think, you can give us the advanced module

smile

To be someone must be a wonderful thing
A famous footballer or a rock singer

Bollocks if i didn't have to work i'd be up for that.

On second thoughts is it safe watching a leeds live game in Bradford or will you be incognito.

Smutty Lips wrote:

On second thoughts is it safe watching a leeds live game in Bradford or will you be incognito.

Judge for yourself, me and Soldierant watching Leeds on TV in Bradford

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/70/188629873_4b18c9d1de.jpg

To be someone must be a wonderful thing
A famous footballer or a rock singer

I'm thinking of booking a day off work for Saturday, there is also the draw of a Siddal - East Hull Title/Play-off Final decider at the Chris Moyles Stadium, might go to that after the Leeds game.

Blue Lou Boyle wrote:
soldierant wrote:

Looks like I won't be getting a ticket to Millwall away so I'll be in the pub next Saturday dinnertime for the game

come meet me mate, I'll give you an introduction to real ale at the same time too

KW you about too?  I'm gonna be in Saltaire I think, you can give us the advanced module

smile

I might bob along .not sure i can still drink at Silly o clock these days though ?
Could be the quickest day out in history ?
TAXI!
There is a chance i might be going to some Adam & the Ants convention in Donny Sat night
To see that Ants covers band Ligotage.
They play all the punk Ant songs
It could be a meeting of the "Naughty north & the sexy south"

Last edited by soldierant (Tue 05 May 2009 11:41 pm)

Blue Lou Boyle wrote:
Smutty Lips wrote:

Judge for yourself, me and Soldierant watching Leeds on TV in Bradford

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/70/18862 … c9d1de.jpg

Are you the more Optimistic  looking one ?:lol:

Don't worry there's tons of Leeds fans in Bradders yikes

Yeah, I'll be about, give us a bell, so long as I don;t have to watch Leeds. big_smile

Doubt he'll put it on in the Shipley Pride anyway.