Topic: Ian Clayton - Bringing It All Back Home

Bought this last year after I wondered into Waterstones in town and saw him sitting there signing books. After chatting to him, recognising him off Calendar, all the while thinking he was the other fella they have on - the poet from Barnsley, I felt obliged to buy his book. Which he then signed.

I have to say, I really do urge anyone who reads this to buy or read this book.

It's simply brilliant. It;s a kind of potted autobiogrpahy told through his relationship with music and musical travels around the world, but that's not really doing it justice. The personal tragedy in the final chapter had me in tears on the train.

Stories about West Yorkshire miners, ex miners, rugby league players fighting with marines in the US deep south, family, music, bitter, love and loss, I can't recommend it strongly enough.

Bit more about it here

http://www.route-online.com/routev7/def … id=&v=

Last edited by kaydubya (Thu 16 Apr 2009 10:35 pm)

[i]Freak out, Sugar! Come with us to Grantham[/i]

Re: Ian Clayton - Bringing It All Back Home

Kayduba you've sold it to me. It's on my list for my next visit over.

They've sold out of this at me local emporium. Which is probably a good sign. Got me name down for a copy for next week.

Think I'll have some of that.

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

I've never read his stuff, just heard him recite a few things or seen him on the telly.  Seems a top top bloke, thanks for the tip.

Loves rugby league too doesn't he?

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

First 100 pages were great, then it got a bit repetitive and confusing for the next 100. Very sad last chapter. Never knew Fev was such a bohemian and artistic place :lol: .

More a station bookshop read - bit Marconie like.

gorefidel wrote:

First 100 pages were great, then it got a bit repetitive and confusing for the next 100. .

Are you sure your bookmark didn't slip back to page one when it fell from your sleep weary fingers?

Rudi wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

First 100 pages were great, then it got a bit repetitive and confusing for the next 100. .

Are you sure your bookmark didn't slip back to page one when it fell from your sleep weary fingers?

No. The book wasn't wet and I tend to drool when I fall asleep on the train.

Finally found a copy. I'm not sure how I'll manage the final chapter, just a mention of his daughters name in the opening chapter and I'm nearly weeping.

Yeah I read this. Gets a bit boring in the middle, but the end is just horrible. How would you ever get over losing that.

But on a brighter note I enjoyed the bit when the sex pistols had that party for the kids oop north somewhere.

Be prepared

Where the bloody nora is KW. Is he posting his in the pub musings to some other fuckers. The slutty little bitch...

Can we coax him back?